Author Topic: avast won't update and my automatic windows update turns off.  (Read 16216 times)

avastad

Hello .

I hope someone may be able to help me with my question . For the last few days I have had problems with avast updating engine and virus definitions and program version. I keep getting the following message

avast.setup. the instruction at "0x004c5c12"referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be read

it asks me to either terminate to click ok or click cancel to debug.....but then nothing happens except avast becomes unresponsive.

I did run a full system scan and nothing was found.

Can anyone help please   ? my current version is 7.0.1451

regards
Ad                 

ramani

Re: avast won't update and my automatic windows update turns off.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:49 AM »
I have been having the same problem. The avast support guys I've emailed more than 7 times have not been able to solve the problem either. Am about to dump this utility

avastad

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:28 PM »
Thank you for your replie. In some way It's kind of comforting to find out that you have been having the same problem as it puts my mind at ease slightly as I thought maybe I have a virus which AVAST can not detect.

Was you ever told by AVAST to uninstall and re-install AVAST ? because I was thinking of doing this to see what happens but if you have tried this then there maybe not much chance of it working for me either.

Cheers
Ad  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
First try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
Is there any link to some technical details in the error message?

wal5548lav

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
I too have been recieving the same message when trying to do a manual or automatic update,just recently updated to Version 7.0.1451,now can't update V.7 or definitions,what to do?

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
1.  Anyone posting in this thread with a problem needs to let us know what version of Avast they are using for us to help you.  For example are you using v. 7.0.1451 and upgraded or did a clean install, or are you using 7.0.1426?

2.  Did your problem start after you upgraded or before that?

3.  When you get an error message, tell us exactly what it says or take a snap shot and post it.

4.  If you tried an Avast Repair then rebooted, did it resolve your problem or not?  If not, what is wrong (be specific)?

5.  Tell us what your OS is and if you previously had another AV on this machine.  If you had a previous AV, how did you uninstall it?

6.  If you already did an Avast uninstall, did you use the Avast Uninstaller tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility or do it some other way (explain if you did it another way)?  What problems still exist after doing this (be specific).

ramani

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
I have been told to uninstall and reinstall. Di that twice and the problem still  comes back. I was then asked to send  some log file which I did and till today no help has come ffrom support.

The problem is that the system cannot perform an update on the virus defination or a program update
When we manually execute the update after a few seconds a dialog box (avast.setup-Application error" come up with the following statement
The instruction at "0X004c5d42" memory at "0X000000" The memory could not be 'read'
Click on Ok to terminate the program
Click on cancel to debug the program

When we click on the cancel (to debug), we get another diaglog box with the following statement
The instruction at "0X004c5d42" memory at "0X000000" The memory could not be 'read'

Am using XP

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
Have you tested your computer for malware with a good scanner. Eg MALWARE BYTES FREE.

kurtseitz

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
Same problem here.
Windows XP
avast program version 7.0.1451
Problem began after getting avast's false positive of cercsr6.sys as Sirefef-AAP [Rtk], although I suspect that is not related to this problem.
It's possibly just a registry error and I'm waiting for my Advanced System Care to update before scanning for registry errors. (We only have dial-up internet here... kinda slow!)

Kurt

kurtseitz

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »
Update: Advanced System Care failed to fix the problem. So now I not only can't update avast, but I also keep getting pop-ups that tell me about a false positive because the correction that avast made can't be updated into the program! If avast included an option to ignore the false positive instead of confining it to the virus chest or deleting it, then it wouldn't be so bad. Very frustrating... I hate to abandon avast for another AV program but I might have no choice.

avastad

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
@ igor
avast! team
Is there any link to some technical details in the error message ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Igor,  this is the error message I always get when trying to update virus/engine and program ---

"avast.setup. the instruction at "0x004c5c12"referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be read"

This message appears as soon as my PC is booted and when trying to update manually or automatically

my current version is 7.0.1451

when I try and repair the program I get the following message--

ERROR PROCESSING PACKAGES.PLEASE YOU FULL UPDATE

Does this mean uninstall and install a complete new AVAST package ?

Also I have not uninstalled AVAST or recently installed the software I have been using AVAST for years, It all of a sudden within the last week or two  been giving me problems. I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Ad :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:23:55 AM by avastad »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:44 AM »
No, try the manual update using the full virus definitions.
Manual update of VPS - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 31MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Note: Ignore the file name in the images of the page that is displayed after clicking the download link, they are for the main program, not for vpsupd.exe which will be downloaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avastad

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »
Ok so I downloaded and attempted to update via the VPS - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download link. When I tried install I got a message saying the virus definitions are already up to date.
So why do I keep getting red pop up windows in the right corner saying that AVAST can not update virus definitions and to try manually and then I get the error message

"avast.setup. the instruction at "0x004c5c12"referenced memory at "0x00000000" the memory could not be read"
and I also get this at least 3 times from boot UP of the PC.

The error message  asks me to click ok to terminate the program or cancel to debug but nothing happens.
Ad:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 01:59:13 AM »
It will need more input by Igor as I'm just an avast user like yourself. What has been suggested has normally resolved the update failure followed by the repair failure.