Author Topic: avast will not update and windows says no virus protection  (Read 2738 times)

swright1118

avast will not update and windows says no virus protection
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:20:41 AM »
I just turned on my computer a few hours ago and I got a message that Avast updated. Then, a little while later I got a message from windows security that Avast was turned off. I clicked on the avast icon and it is saying that Avast is on. It said that a new update was available so I clicked on it to update. Well, it tried to for a few seconds and it says the package is broken and there is an error. It will not update and when I click on things like the real time shields I get the main page but there are no shields displayed on the page. It is blank. What is going on??? I am freaking out because I work from home and have to have good antivirus. I have had avast for 10 months with no problems. It will not update, says it is on, looks different, and windows says that it is off?? I am not very computer literate lol! So, if you post a response, please do it in a way that I can understand! Thanks so much!

SafeSurf

Re: avast will not update and windows says no virus protection
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
I got a message that Avast updated <snip>
I'm assuming you mean that Avast updated the virus definitions.

It said that a new update was available so I clicked on it to update. Well, it tried to for a few seconds and it says the package is broken and there is an error. <snip> It will not update, says it is on, looks different, and windows says that it is off??
It sounds like you upgraded to a different program version of Avast here. 

1. What product are you using?  Free/Pro/AIS? 
2. What version did you have, and what do you have installed now?
3. What is your OS?
4. Did you reboot since the upgrade?
5. Have you tried an Avast Repair:
XP Users:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Vista & Win7 Users:
-   Control Panel
-   Programs & Features
-   Uninstall a Program > Select Avast Antivirus
-   Click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair
-   Click Next and follow.
-   Reboot.

avastad

Re: avast will not update and windows says no virus protection
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:09 PM »
Hi mate

Sorry I can't help a great deal because I'm just as like you when it comes to this type of thing but just wanted to let you know I too and it seems many others are having the same problem as yourself. This link is a feed I started the other day trying to resolve the problem so it may be worth keeping an eye on this thread for now.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100328.0
Cheers
Ad