Author Topic: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!  (Read 66100 times)

avastuser3331

Re: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
Hello, I am a avast free user. Today I updated avast and to my suprise; I see the Chrome icon on my desktop. I then see avast has updated to the latest version. Avast has installed chrome without my explicit permission. I did not get the opt out screen that keloo05 posted. I already have two browsers that I use (firefox and chromuim). Now uninstalling chrome may not be a big of a hassle. But, in the future iteration of avast, will I have to uninstall Chrome again and again? While this problem may affect a very small minority; a problem is still a problem. Nevertheless, I have not seen any major problems with this update. Thanks you for taking your time to read this.

Best,
Avastuser3331

Zazazu

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
I can confirm Fil's issue.

The pop-up came up for an update. I X'ed out of it as I'd just turned my computer on quickly to check something and didn't want to fuss with any updates. Next thing I know, I have an icon for Chrome on my desktop.

I am highly irritated. Add-on programs should never be installed without permission. I do not want Chrome as I disagree with the browser's TOS. I have uninstalled it, but if this happens again I will be locating the appropriate governing body and lodging a complaint, as well as notifying all of my friends of Avast's practices.

Hopefully this is just a blip. I have, in the past, enjoyed using Avast.

z8000783

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
If I want Chrome or any other piece of SW, why can't I be trusted to go and get it for myself?

Offline GEGEPING

• Ma Galerie Flickr
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
Hi,

I can understand that people are not pleased to see something installed authorization :o

But as it was written in previous message, if people take care about each step of Avast install impossible to have Chrome installed himself.

I test several installation on 2 pc and eeepc and always see what i must do to avoid chrome installation.

So why complain, if people doesn't look and read carefully ::) 

And if by mistake it was installed, only remove it with ccleaner and for advanced user, look inside registry base to remove all part of google chrome.
RIP Bx TZD TURBO 520140kms le 15/08/2015 et 26ans
Xantia ok jusqu'en 2026 et la C3 même punition@:
Dédicace à une fille merveilleuse Chloé qui a bien grandi:-)
Tonton d'une nièce nommée Chloé ^^ et du Mathieu dit le chinois

scrumdown

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
Alas, Avast has shot itself in the foot.

There are a LOT of disgruntled users all over various forums. For example, see here .....

http://forums.computeractive.co.uk/showthread.php?t=227326

Have a look at the Avast screenshot within my first link ... you have three install options .....

Express Install ... Large and prominent.

Compatible Install ... Also Large and prominent.

Custom Install ... Very Small with a faded indistinct colour.

You can't really blame anyone for not noticing the Custom option, can you ?

This is an escalating disgraceful ploy by companies who patronisingly try to fool you and foist on you additional programs, toolbars etc. that you do not want.

I've happily used Avast FREE for a long time and found it an excellent AV program, so am very disappointed it has joined other companies in adopting this deliberately misleading policy.
It is PATRONISING and most folks don't like being fooled and patronised.

So Avast - Was that really worth it ? You are losing a LOT of dedicated users and fans.

It's your call ... we await your patch.  ::)

scrumdown

z8000783

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
Why should we have to?

Béňa

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
To those concerned,

These kind of optional installs  have been seen more and more lately for free software.
The optional nature of it should be clear from the onset. It has become part of free software marketing as it is to-day,

But the Google browser is not being forced upon you. Now some words to defend avast's choice.

On a second thought consider that the Google browser IS more secure against malicious drive-by-downloads.
This is a fact, because it always comes with the latest updates and fully patched plug-ins for the browser.
It will install automatic updates for these plug-ins. Hordes of users that forget to regularly update their plug-in software
with other browser are still vulnerable. I cannot see why BlueE did not copy that particular Google Chrome browser behavior,
it is so much more secure for those that forget about third party software updates and patches, and there are many?

That is why  malcreants cannot longer abuse these vulnerabilities when Google Chrome is used.
There are already signs that because of this malcious drive-by-download attacks became less popular,
and malcreants have to seek other ways like social engineering to get their malware installed.

So just test your OS and third party software here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
and then report back whether your Adobe Reader, Flash Player en Java on your computers was fully patched and updated.

Even the Google Chrome  linux version now comes with a n inbuilt sandbox for Flash Player,
Google Chrome can be tweaked to your liking with Chrome Privacy Guard and numerous easy installable security add-ons.

polonus
But you forgot to indicate that google chrome collects sensitive personal data and sends them away. By the way, the safest browser, according to several independent company NSS Labs Internet Explorer 9 is. Internet Explorer SmartScreen filter contains 9 to successes in the fight against phishing and social engineering, but also can block the download of certain dangerous files. And here's Google chrome did not very successfully. avast! It offers (or oblige) program, which is good, but it is also a spy, which collects sensitive user data and sends them away. Apparently the Google, and then be treated differently with them. For example, you can offer advertising, which would you take or what he's doing? Finally, this is disgusting.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 05:54:02 PM »
Why should we have to?

That's a valid point.  Google Chrome install should be opt-in, not opt-out.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

scrumdown

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Why should we have to?

Why indeed ?

One can spend a lifetime gaining a good reputation and respect from others ... but lose it all in one day.

Put another way ..... An anti-virus program is only as good as its latest upgrade.  ::)

scrumdown

Tetsuo

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

But as it was written in previous message, if people take care about each step of Avast install impossible to have Chrome installed himself.

Have you read my previous post? I guess not.  Don't blame the users, please:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100608.msg804411#msg804411

Edit: link

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:14:25 PM by Tetsuo »

dobri

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
I have just registered to complain about the outrageous behavior of Avast force-installing Google Chrome.

I have been a long time user of Avast and I have installed it on many PCs of friends and relatives and I start to regret that.

The system: Windows 7 64-bit, Avast 7 plus Comodo Firewall latest version (only Firewall) plus Windows Defender.

Long story short: upon reboot after update notification I get the "Welcome to Avast 7" screen with the two opt-out check-boxes for just a second - you can barely react to see it, let alone read or click anything . This window just closes - I don't even move the mouse.

This happened for the first time a month or so ago, since then I have experienced updates after which the window stays and I can clear the two check-boxes and updates like the one today where the window just closes. I haven't changed any software and I can't understand what causes this behavior of Avast.

I am fed up with cleaning the Google crap that installs itself as a scheduled task, as a Firefox addon and who knows where else in the Windows registry.

If Avast/Google combo is increasingly behaving like malware - the same thing Avast is supposed to protect me from.

Ronin_2

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
fil & chiliconcarnage,

I'd like to understand the problem you're describing.

A few question:
1. Did you get the screen that keloo05 posted above? (it is supposed to be displayed after you reboot the system after applying the avast product update)
2. If you did get it, did you uncheck the boxes prior to clicking the Finish button?

Thanks
Vlk

Just letting you know.  I received the automatic upgrade today and after a reboot I did see the dialog box appear with the options to uncheck the installation of of Chrome.  Unfortunately the dialog disappeared in about 1 and a half seconds and the upgrade started installing itself automatically.  I did not have enough time to deselect the optional install.  It was no big deal to uninstall Chrome after the update was finished, but you should examine the behavior of the opt out dialog which appeared and closed way too fast.  (Windows 7 Pro 64 bit)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:12:37 PM by Ronin_2 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
Well, the dialog is certainly not supposed to close itself automatically... is it possible that you were typing something, and as the dialog popped up, you actually closed it because you pressed a key right at that moment?
I'm just asking because there is no auto-close code there...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
Hi Ronin_2,

Think that part of the message has been understood with all these reactions here. Google Chrome is and should be an optional install (opt-in).

I think the reason for giving users the option to the Google Chrome install was a valid security issue, read: http://www.straightsectalk.com/?p=47
(putting an end to silent malcode drive-by-downloads by silently updating all browser plug-ins that could be abused).
link article author is Dr. Kevin Borders - Recent Graduate of the University of Michigan - Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Why IE has not protected users in that way, is beyond me. Great numbers of common users have old java versions, not the latest Adobe software etc.
and are vulnerable to these forms of infestations.
To check personally about the update status of your OS and 3rd party software check via: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Stay safe and secure,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

J.Stalin

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
Yeah, it is really concerning that an antivirus developer tries to install pure spyware as Crome on the users pc's