Author Topic: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!  (Read 65899 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 10:56:07 PM »
Hi Uncle Scrooge,

When and where Google Chrome was detected as spyware?
You really think other browsers or search engines are not involved in data mining?

Avast never tries to install Chrome onto a user PC, it offers a optional download.
I think there are still a lot of users that do not know about Chrome and think the only way to go to the internet is via IE.
While in South America Google Chrome is the browser of choice,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Epster

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
Same here... Turned on computer, got myself a drink and when i was back avast needed an update.. No sign of boxes you can check concerning google chrome and things.
When update was ready, chrome was installed and even set as default browser...

I just registered here only to complain about this. I'm very satisfied with avast, but this is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

One more stunt like this and i quit using avast, together with all the 3d party computers i install.

Why did you put this in an update?
People already made their choice when installing avast, didn't they?

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 11:10:09 PM »
Same here... Turned on computer, got myself a drink and when i was back avast needed an update.. No sign of boxes you can check concerning google chrome and things.

I just registered here only to complain about this. I'm very satisfied with avast, but this is UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

One more stunt like this and i quit using avast, together with all the 3d party computers i install.

Ask for your money back!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
IN that case you need to be really carefull, there are quite a few free programmes out there bundling the AVG search bar with no real way of knowing it is being installed.  With Chrome using add/remove it is gone... With the AVG bar I had to do a deep search to remove it all from my system.. And I am very carefull when I install software on my computer

An example of what the AVG bar does

Hijacks the Home page deep in the registry
Disables all other search engines that may be set up
Sets to auto start
Run an auto update service
Attaches to all browsers

Now that is a nightmare

J.Stalin

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
People will delete software which is sneaked into their pc. I doubt anyone will even try it before deleting it. Google , Ask toolbar and the other companies that uses this methode get a very bad reputation.
I don't expect Avast to be a part of this poor quality marketing, and for once I hope that they have made a bug in the installer.

z8000783

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2012, 12:20:01 AM »

Ask for your money back!
Whilst people may not have paid for this product they may think twice about upgrading.

An excellent organisation will treat everybody as if they were their best customer irrespective of whether they have paid for anything or not.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
People will delete software which is sneaked into their pc. I doubt anyone will even try it before deleting it. Google , Ask toolbar and the other companies that uses this methode get a very bad reputation.
I don't expect Avast to be a part of this poor quality marketing, and for once I hope that they have made a bug in the installer.
avast! offers you an easy way to install a quality browser. Google's Chrome browser.  There is the option to not accept this offer.
If you don't monitor your installations by choosing the default installation method, then anytime you install something on your computer, you'll probably wind up with a surprise.
Google's Chrome is easy to remove some of the other surprises you wind up with by not using the custome instalation method are not.
Offering something good and free isn't poor marketing. Offering something with out the ability to bypass it's instalation would be.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Ronin_2

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »
Well, the dialog is certainly not supposed to close itself automatically... is it possible that you were typing something, and as the dialog popped up, you actually closed it because you pressed a key right at that moment?
I'm just asking because there is no auto-close code there...

First, just so everyone understands, I am not complaining about companies including extra software during installation.  I understand why they do that, and as long as there is an option to decline the installation, I have no problem with it.  During the last update, which was preformed automatically through the Avast software updater, I never noticed any dialog pop up and I had Chrome installed when it was finished with the upgrade.  No big deal as I could easily change FireFox back to default browser and uninstall Chrome, although I would have preferred an opt out option.  This time I payed close attention in case I missed something before.  Avast updated and asked to reboot the system.  After rebooting the system, I saw a dialog pop up with the opt out options.  I did not have time to press anything nor did I have a chance to touch the mouse or keyboard, as the dialog box disappeared in approximately 1 1/2 seconds and a new dialog appeared stating that the software was being upgraded and that it would take a while.  I again uninstalled Chrome and reset FireFox as my default browser.  It is a minor inconvenience, but I am not complaining.  I appreciate the effort and continued development with the software.  I am simply stating what I experienced on my system.  The only other problem I have noticed is the Outlook 2007 plugin crash message.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:27:07 AM by Ronin_2 »

Kitty Surfer

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 05:22:46 AM »
I just want to add to this complaint. Now before you say anything, I know about installing software, opt-in extras and things like that. I've been setting up computers for years. I don't have a problem with Chrome as a browser, but my preferance is Firefox, which is the browser that is installed on my laptop.

The problem was for me, that Chrome was still installed when the "X" or cancel button was pressed. See, my brother uses my laptop from time to time, and he has been instructed to always click either cancel or exit out of the install process when some thing comes up. This way he leaves any of these updates for me to handle so that I can read the tick-boxes and see what goes on.

So lo-and-behold, this update appeared yesterday. He cancelled as he usually does, but it still installed Chrome. I uninstalled it. Same thing happened today. So I tested it by restarting and doing the process myself. I pressed the "X" and yep, Chrome installed. Yes, he had left the check-boxes ticked, but generally when you cancel some thing you don't need to untick stuff as you aren't actually installing anything.

THIS in my opinion is bad installation procedure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has family members who have been instructed not to install stuff (and they actually do the right thing). If the X is pressed to cancel, then allow it to cancel the update procedure, don't continue on with the installation at all. If the update procedure can't be cancelled, then don't provide the option to do so ... and definately don't install a browser someone doesn't use if you think you are cancelling.

Yes, the tick-boxes were there ... which if I had seen the screen before him, then I would have un-ticked as I usually do. But to make Chrome install when someone thinks they are cancelling ... that is the problem IMO.

I'm just glad it only was Chrome which is I know is a reputable browser and easy to uninstall. If it were one of those god-awful browser toolbars, I might have been thinking of changing Virus protection software.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:25:22 AM by Kitty Surfer »

brecky

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
I too got tricked into an Avast UPGRADE that I didn't request + the addition of Chrome that I expressly rejected on the 'update'.  Then Chrome made itself my default browser & even tho I deleted it, I suspect that won't be the ned of it.  I really don't appreciate software companies adding other programs by default - it's dirty pool & I will likely drop Avast for another AV program ;o( :-\

stuartm

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »
The most insidious part of this debacle is that clearly the uncheck box on the reboot screen - if it works - is intentionally placed so that it is easily missed.

And to those of you who have said "just go to control panel & remove programs" have obviously never uninstalled Chrome because if you had you will find the most irritating example of "malware"  by google i.e. the outlook html links breakage which has just taken me 1 hr to fix with registry hacks because even the "reinstall Chrome/ set default browser back to IE/ Remove Chrome" route just doesnt work.

vsub

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
I just updated to the newest version of Avast Home by using the Maintenance=>Update=>Update Program.
After the restart a window appear telling me what's new and two options,to install Chrome and to make it my default browser.
I turn off both options(because I don't want chrome)and click on the finish button.
Tried after that few things while restarting the PC 4 times but chrome didn't get installed(I made a precaution to block the installation but nothing get downloaded(the chrome installer)or tried to be installed without my approval)

user_1000

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
How much Google is paying to Avast company for a every succeed Avast install with Google Chrome included?

Béňa

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
user_1000: I am curious too. I had asked, but it never replied to me.

Google chrome is spyware, but normally no antivirus and antispyware such as spyware do not detect. Google Chrome is spyware, because it sends sensitive personal data. It is not yet known that would be a different internet browser doing this. And when it wrote about on Wikipedia, it will not be a lie.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »
Some of you clearly don't understand the definition of word spyware. Ever though that if Google was really harvesting all this data, don't you think someone would have noticed it? It's not like ppl are dumb and can't reverse engineered or capture data being transmitted.
Generic statistical data is not personal information and that is what Google is doing.

Chrome is not spyware even by far and i wouldn't even be able to classify it as adware either. It's a program. If you don't like it, don't use it. If it happens that app installs through 3rd party, you can easily remove it regardless. I don't recall any spyware being so generous.
Get your facts straight first and then scare users who might take your post seriously...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog