Author Topic: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!  (Read 65896 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Goodbye.. If you would calm down instead of driving yourself into a rage.... You would find that Chrome is easy to uninstall if you do not want it... No fancy tools needed.  I cannot say the same for the AVG toolbar from winzip 

Arnold72

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
well when i updated avast i got no chrome icon appearing on the desktop.
I think your just complaining for the sake of it.
All you need to do is uninstall chrome if thats the case.
Why make such a song and dance about it. >:(

newview

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Goodbye.. If you would calm down instead of driving yourself into a rage.... You would find that Chrome is easy to uninstall if you do not want it... No fancy tools needed.  I cannot say the same for the AVG toolbar from winzip 
The AVG toolbar is NOT the point ... I pharking KNEW what I was getting with that, and immediately removed it.
The ease of uninstalling Google Chrome is ALSO not the point.

The point is the arrogance of Avast installing software on MY computer, and apparently many others, WITHOUT PERMISSION.
And it is fast becoming the point that apparently Avast thinks it's "ok".

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
it's just a piss-poor attempt to shift the focus from Avast's faux-pas.
It's not but it does prove that some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
You seem to forget that I'm also an avast! Free user. I also updated my program when it was due for an update.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Epster

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
it's just a piss-poor attempt to shift the focus from Avast's faux-pas.
It's not but it does prove that some people aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
You seem to forget that I'm also an avast! Free user. I also updated my program when it was due for an update.

And is dat your complaint?

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
I've read every reply in this topic. Many of the replies are just to show shame on an antivirus they have used and trusted for years. This should sum things up for pwllgloyw, and everyone else who had this issue.
Like many others who have posted here I am totally unhappy about any software being installed on my system without a request, and to then change a system setting to make it the default browser is totally unacceptable.

To make matters worse, as far as I can see, the only responses from avast staff (with 1 exception - asking for information) are to tell the users they they have failed to do something. I would have expected some form of comment from avast management by now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Avast! a.s has (yes there is an alert) a display window that prompts the user before and after reboot prior to the install that the user has the option to install Google Chrome. They also show a big picture of the 3rd party at hand, so to speak. This provides:
  • Avast! a.s did not intentionally force the user to download Google Chrome.
  • Avast! a.s wanted the user to be informed of the Google Chrome download.

The avast! team tries to help, yet you still torment and mock them?
A few question:
1. Did you get the screen that keloo05 posted above? (it is supposed to be displayed after you reboot the system after applying the avast product update)
2. If you did get it, did you uncheck the boxes prior to clicking the Finish button?

Well, the dialog is certainly not supposed to close itself automatically... is it possible that you were typing something, and as the dialog popped up, you actually closed it because you pressed a key right at that moment?
I'm just asking because there is no auto-close code there...

Before Reboot:

After Reboot:

Two alerts. Do you see many installers that offer you two alerts? More so, provide a detailed picture of what you are getting?

Grow up, I am tired of your childish cries. And not just you, all the others that complain and bash the company they've been loving for years just because of a simple mistake they made. Accept that you downloaded an extra few mb (yes, google chrome is very lightweight), and remove it if it pleases you. Google Chrome is a very good modern-day browser. It's not spyware. It's not adware. It's not malware period. Seriously, all of those who have contributed negatively to this thread are considered trolls. The Avast! team tries to help, avast! users try to help, even a trained and qualified malware removal expert tries to help, but NO, you can't accept help. You want the Google Chrome removed, just because you weren't careful with the installation. Well, avast! needs its money too. And to continue the support of the free version, don't you think it needs a little extra cash? Seriously, think people. Its not easy paying for a team while providing the software that they produce free.

The problem is Avast has an option that allows you to turn off the installation of Chrome that does not work correctly all the time and for all users - I think we agree on that based on all the reports from different users, including mine a few pages back.
How can avast! fix the issue when all the feedback they're getting is "avast! did this" and "avast! did that"? They need important information, not your rage of avast! because of one potential flaw in the program. There is a high possibility that you were the cause of the 'flaw' in the first place.

May this be of some use to you,
~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

tbint

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:34 AM »
Those screens were not presented back in February ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94175.msg749777#msg749777 ). Don't try and say there is something wrong with my pc. There was a bug with the installer when allowing the program update from v6 to 7.

newview

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:20 AM »
Those screens were not presented back in February ( http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94175.msg749777#msg749777 ). Don't try and say there is something wrong with my pc. There was a bug with the installer when allowing the program update from v6 to 7.
They weren't present today either ... there was NO warning at all.
But I'm certain there will be plenty of fanboyz insisting that it was something I did that was wrong.

I will now be actively looking for a replacement for Avast ... I see where they are heading now.

thunda1216

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
Dear moderators:  the point is, yes we are given the choice to opt out of the installation.  Why the hell should we be forced to do this *every freaking time* we start up our system?
Also, if you uncheck the "install chrome" box first, the screen disappears.  However the "make chrome default browser" box remains checked.  Chrome is then installed and becomes the default browser!  The only work around I have found is to uncheck the "default browser" box first.  Then the screen remains and you can uncheck the "install chrome" box.  Chrome will not be installed this way.  But I have to do it again every time I start my computer.  VERY annoying.

We users appreciate a fine product provided to us for free, and I really don't mind a little advertising, but come on...every startup the same thing?  If I opt out the first time, that ought to be enough.  Good Grief!

Offline GEGEPING

• Ma Galerie Flickr
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »
Hi ^^

I can confirm what !Donovan said  :D

I saw the first box to the beginning of installation, i carefully unchecked both and reboot after ;)

And after reboot the second one appear and unchecked once again both case too and never chrome installed 8)

I say this cause i installed new full version on old laptop XP PRO SP2 and Eeepc XP PRO SP3 ;D

So just before installing in both computer, i did a clean install with avast soft on XP safe mode, reboot, Ccleaner and installed Avast as i mentioned upper

So either people doesn't care fast to the box which can disappear quickly to the beginning and end of installing, with a full installation after an avast cleaner in Xp safe mode.

Solution, clean Chrome and that ok, no???

For people who made an update directly by avast software installed on his computer and really didn't see beginning box and ending box finished installation so maybe there's a problem :o

But it's not a reason to complain so hardly and badly against Avast Team,

Most of everybody use the Free version and if there's something forgotten by avast team with problem chrome installation simply perform a clean software with ccleaner in xp same mode and reboot that ok after ;)

And surely for next program update by avast software installed or full installation Avast Team will correct this ;D

Peace,

Have a good day and week-end too  ;)
RIP Bx TZD TURBO 520140kms le 15/08/2015 et 26ans
Xantia ok jusqu'en 2026 et la C3 même punition@:
Dédicace à une fille merveilleuse Chloé qui a bien grandi:-)
Tonton d'une nièce nommée Chloé ^^ et du Mathieu dit le chinois

d321

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 10:08:05 AM »
I tried to block access to Chrome website from Avast functions. And guess what. It doesn't work. Avast refuses to block this website. You can block all google.com but Chrome site is still available. What a great protection indeed! ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:40:50 AM by d321 »

HarriBelli

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
Google Chrome the data-collector and their duty of making money.
and exact this is the reason I'll remove avast from all our computers and I'll also post this fact for my friends on social networks
Bad idea avast!
Greetz from Berlin

Epster

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
Hey Donovan. great you had those popups in time.... I didn't.. now shut up and go irritate other people

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
I tried to block access to Chrome website from Avast functions. And guess what. It doesn't work. Avast refuses to block this website. You can block all google.com but Chrome site is still available. What a great protection indeed! ;D

The blocker doesn't care about the browser, so yes, you can block whatever you want.

How exactly did you "try to block access", what/where exactly did you enter?
Is it possible that Chrome had that page already in cache maybe, i.e. it didn't actually download anything?

Mr Happymoose

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »
Ok folks. I have registered with the forum today purely to comment on this topic.

Let me just make a few things clear first, I have been both trusting and using Avast! for years and have recommended others to use it as well, I am an experienced computer user in my 40's and I know about tick boxes and I know to look for them during an install procedure.

For the last couple of weeks both my laptop (Compaq, Windows 7) and my partners laptop (Compaq, Vista) have been showing the infamous 'Complete Update' popup on startup. This is the popup that has the tick box to allow you to opt out of installing chrome which we have had to do every time we boot up the laptops.

Today I googled for the forum to try and find out what the issue was and have come across a large number of threads complaining about this and the forced install of chrome which made me very concerned.

I found a thread that seemed to say finishing the install manually fixed the problem so that is what I did.

I opened up Avast! and manually updated it. AT NO POINT WHATSOEVER was I asked if I wanted chrome installed. I was asked to restart the computer and was hopeful that this had cured the problem. Let me just reiterate that point, at no point during the install or restart procedure was there ANY option to opt out of having chrome installed or even a notification that it would be installed. Not even a popup that disappeared to quickly for me to untick the box.

Imagine my dismay on re-starting the laptop to find that not only was chrome installed, but it was now my default browser!!!

Now, you can argue all you want that all I have to do is uninstall it, but that is not the point. Not only was software installed on my laptop without even asking permission, but changes were made to my system that I neither wanted made or was even asked permission and I'm sorry, but this is disgusting treatment from a software supplier that I used to trust. This seems to have been an issue for some time now and yet Avast! seems to have done nothing at all about fixing it if indeed, as has been claimed, it is a bug and not something done deliberately.

To say I am disappointed with Avast! is putting it mildly and right now I'm looking at other alternatives for both my laptop and my partner's laptop.

Sorry Avast!, but you have dealt with this very, very poorly indeed.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:27:37 PM by Mr Happymoose »