Author Topic: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!  (Read 65906 times)

vsub

Re: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
I don't plan to read the whole thread but I want to know something.

Does anyone have this problem on XP or this is Vista\Win 7 problem only.
And from what version to the newest did they update...from 1426 or 1451 to 1456

guestja

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
I have been using Avast for a long time and would just like to comment on what is happening in this thread. It makes me sad that all this animosity is not necessary.

To me at least it is obvious that Avast is not intentionally installing Google Chrome without the users intent.

It is also clear that in some cases this is happening. (all these people are not making this up).  For many others it is not, and is working as intended.

Continuing to ignore what people are reporting and stating the opposite after a while begins to become insulting.

I have observed over the years that when there is a problem with the program the developers try to duplicate it so that they can  fix it. They usually don't comment on it much until they have a solution. Some people may interpret this as though they are ignoring the problem. It seems in this instance they are having trouble duplicating it. At least that is what we heard initially.

I think some of problem is that some of the developers have come onto the forum and addressed other comments made in this thread  (and the similar ones on this topic) but seem to be silent about what  the current state of this situation is. More communication on that regard from Avast would be helpful in diffusing these type of situations, and not talking past each  other wouldn't hurt either.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:28:02 PM by jwa »

vsub

« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
Continuing to ignore what people are reporting and stating the opposite after a while begins to become insulting.

I don't think they are ignoring the problem but what do you expect,most of the post here are just complaints.If the avast team can't  reproduce the problem how do you think they can find what's wrong.
Almost no one is trying to help by giving detailed info.

I'm also trying to reproduce the problem and asked couple of times for info but everyone is ignoring my posts and continue to complain.

Basically everyone are saying the same thing("I updated avast and after restart Google Chrome was installed without asking")but in a different way

AtlBo

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
Seriously dude, just uninstall Chrome. You're saying like it installed the toughest rootkit that cannot possible be removed. It's just a Chrome browser. Use Programs and Features option and remove it. It takes around 3 seconds of work... Sure it's annoying but ppl make way too much fuss around unimportant things... ::)

I agree.  This seems to have been unintentional if it was Avast's error.  Uninstall Chrome and move on...  : )

A few problems with version 7, but let's face it...A/V is becoming more complicated every day.  The Avast team have done an amazing job creating a FREE service that is really a legit service.  That's unbelievable if you stop and think about what they're doing for us.  Even if I were paying for the upgrade, I would still say to myself, "take it easy and bear with the problems."  Just a real testament to how much the Avast team has done for people...

Mr Happymoose

« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
Seriously dude, just uninstall Chrome. You're saying like it installed the toughest rootkit that cannot possible be removed. It's just a Chrome browser. Use Programs and Features option and remove it. It takes around 3 seconds of work... Sure it's annoying but ppl make way too much fuss around unimportant things... ::)

I agree.  This seems to have been unintentional if it was Avast's error.  Uninstall Chrome and move on...  : )

A few problems with version 7, but let's face it...A/V is becoming more complicated every day.  The Avast team have done an amazing job creating a FREE service that is really a legit service.  That's unbelievable if you stop and think about what they're doing for us.  Even if I were paying for the upgrade, I would still say to myself, "take it easy and bear with the problems."  Just a real testament to how much the Avast team has done for people...

Does that then mean that you are happy for complete strangers to make totally unannounced changes to your PC?

I'll just repeat what I said before, you can argue all you want that all I have to do is uninstall chrome, but that is not the point. Not only was software installed on my laptop without even asking permission, but changes were made to my system that I neither wanted made or was even asked permission and I'm sorry, but this is disgusting treatment from a software supplier that I used to trust. This seems to have been an issue for some time now and yet Avast! seems to have done nothing at all about fixing it if indeed, as has been claimed, it is a bug and not something done deliberately.

AtlBo

« Reply #95 on: July 06, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »
Does that then mean that you are happy for complete strangers to make totally unannounced changes to your PC?

I'll just repeat what I said before, you can argue all you want that all I have to do is uninstall chrome, but that is not the point. Not only was software installed on my laptop without even asking permission, but changes were made to my system that I neither wanted made or was even asked permission and I'm sorry, but this is disgusting treatment from a software supplier that I used to trust. This seems to have been an issue for some time now and yet Avast! seems to have done nothing at all about fixing it if indeed, as has been claimed, it is a bug and not something done deliberately.

Can't say if I should be happy or not Mr "Happy"moose...it didn't happen on my machine.  Maybe you can explain why...

Update 1451 had some problems.  I know because I experienced them myself...serious problems.  One of the problems was that on start up or reboot an Avast menu would appear informing the user that an installation (that didn't even happen) was almost finished.  On that menu was the option to install Chrome or not to.  If Chrome wasn't placed on your system through this interface, then, based on my experience with Avast, I can say, I am certain it was a mistake in one of the updates that caused it to be there.

As for the problems of 1451, I was experiencing other problems than just the reboot Avast menu, including content disappearing from internet pages and text disappearing from menus and desktop icons.  Also, no programs would open and then ultimately a blue screen.  Quickly on the heels of 1451 comes update 1456 and what's the first improvement listed?  Fixed some blue screen errors.  Here's some information from another thread on 1451:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100702.0

1456 fixes:
* Fixed some BSODs
* Fixed memory leak in aswMon2 driver
* Fixed problem with random opening of the SafeZone
* Fixed SSL connection issues with SMTP
* Fixed blocking of Internet access
* Fixed missing "Additional protection" tab
* Fixed crashes in Outlook

These fixes are serious for this update, and every one of them fixed a problem on my machine from 1451...and you know what...on reboot, no menu.

Even if I were paying for Avast, none of this would have phased me even a bit.  I've used the program for 2-3 years now, and it has performed flawlessly.  Additionally, the response to little problems since I have used the service has bordered on unbelievable...and I notice.  The last update was bad, but the problem appears at least to be fixed.  No point in being knee jerk about it...

Maybe you are just the kind of person that can't be satisfied with anything.  For me, this a free service, and I am grateful for the amazing response of the Avast team...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:14:18 PM by AtlBo »

iroc9555

« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »
Please read RejZor topic and try to answer the questions so that Avast! team can figure this out. Your complainings are duly noted, but ranting that Avast! tricked you, or that you will be looking for other AV do not help anyone.

Avast! team need to know What OS, what Avast!, What kind of installment was ran, and more. As said follow and answer RejZor's questions here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100770.0

Thank you.

d321

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
I use Avast free from more than 10 years. Until this Chrome scandal. I am amazed of arrogancy of Avast staff who continued to claim everything is OK and we, users are imbeciles who can't even check boxes. This is enough!

I uninstalled Avast. Forever.

Goodbye.

Offline tosna

• Since 2006 AVAST free user -Japan-
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:30 PM »
I don't plan to read the whole thread but I want to know something.

Does anyone have this problem on XP or this is Vista\Win 7 problem only.
And from what version to the newest did they update...from 1426 or 1451 to 1456

I updated free 7.0.1426 to 7.0.1451 without any problem on my WinXP(sp3) machine, then a few days later updated 7.0.1451 to 7.0.1456 but with some issues as follows.

I have set up automatical update for the virus data files and for the program updates set up to advise when any update is available. Usually after finishing the automatical update of virus data files, avast! pop-up notice dialog appears with the latest file version nbr. But this time suddenly appeared the attached dialog(in Japanese) saying the update (without mentioning what update) is almost finishing and requesting to click [Finish] bottom, of course there was the optional box to install/or not Google Chrome. So naturally I unticked optional two boxes and clicked the finish bottom. I considered it was program update as I was informed in forum new modified version would be announced soon. But after finishing the update, I was not required to re-boot the machine, and found the program was not updated. So finally I updated the program from main page of avast!: Maintenance-> Update-> Update Program, and re-booted as usual.

Now three days later, it seems normal and no problems at all, for the moment.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:16:42 PM by tosna »
Win7 Home SP1 32bit/ Avast Free 20.10.2442⇒21.5.2470/ Comodo Firewall 12/ / (Windows Defender)

AtlBo

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »
I use Avast free from more than 10 years. Until this Chrome scandal. I am amazed of arrogancy of Avast staff who continued to claim everything is OK and we, users are imbeciles who can't even check boxes. This is enough!

I uninstalled Avast. Forever.

Goodbye.

Short sighted response d321.  You should have thought it through.  It wasn't intentional that the menu appeared in the first place.  It's next to nothing to remove Chrome, and, believe me, the Avast team has been working it's tail off for you behind the scenes.  You should have thought it through before you made these remarks...

vsub

« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »

I think it would be better to remove avast using the uninstaller and install 1456 again.
I had couple of really annoying problems when I updated from 1426 to 1451 so I tried to downgrade by just installing 1426 over it but tons of problems with avast appeared after that.So I just removed completely 1451,installed 1426 and when 1456 was released,I just updated using the Update Program button.

I think 1451 was so broken that it could cause problem even if you update to 1456 by using the normal way.
So just try removing your current installation and install directly install 1456 and see if you have problems again.

fil

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »
fil & chiliconcarnage,

I'd like to understand the problem you're describing.

A few question:
1. Did you get the screen that keloo05 posted above? (it is supposed to be displayed after you reboot the system after applying the avast product update)
2. If you did get it, did you uncheck the boxes prior to clicking the Finish button?

Thanks
Vlk

Yes i had the screen and yes id de-selected the option.

avast was installed from about a week then one day it installed chrome with one update without asking anything

TrevEB

« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
On one of my PC's I got the avast note about it's updating and would you like to install Chrome.

"Remember everyone, You can always opt out."

I said no, ok, fine, everything works fine.
Shut down, for the night, start up the next day.
Would you like to install Chrome?
No
Ok, fine, shut down restart.
Guess whos back?
Would you like to install Chrome.
OK, yes install Chrome. I give up.
OK, now you have Chrome. Enjoy.

Now you avast tech guys say, you don't like Chrome, just uninstall it.
So I uninstall it and go back to Firefox.
Turns out, Chrome uninstall does not fix various links that are made from Microsoft Outlook.
Say for example, you get an acrobat file in your email.
You click it, and a message pops up.
Your administrator has prevented this action.
No: Chrome took over, and now that its gone, it left a mess which has to be fixed.

So, no its not a simple uninstall.

Please stop attaching other programs to your program.
Please give more thought as to how your program behaves in default settings.
Avast has long been known to be the best at being low overhead, effective, and free.
You have crossed the line into annoying, invasive, distracting, and now mildly destructive.

I am so inclined to visit your office and glue a giant poster to your windows advertising Chrome.
Hey, you don't want my posters? just take them down. Don't complain, they are free.
You never asked for them? well if you had been around when I installed them you could have told me that.
Now I have to go and install some posters at Adobe, and Oracle.
You know, the companies that install McAfee Antivirus and the Ask Toolbar. Those guys are so nice with those free extra programs.

Offline GEGEPING

• Ma Galerie Flickr
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Hi  :)

Either there's bug on Avast system installation or people doesn't care about popup installation to uncheck what is need to uncheck.

I tried Full install of the latest version with a clean avast soft on Xp safe mode before and after:

- Old laptop P4 1,7ghz XPRO SP2 nothing to say full install no chrome around  ::)
- Old Eeepc 900 SSD drive Celeron 900 with XPRO SP3, ok no chrome appear :P
- Eeep 1015 Seagate 160go Intel Atom XP FAMILIALE SP2, no chrome inside...

As i noticed, on several sort of software a lot of propose to install tool bar or other navigator...

So the first think is to take care off any pop-up installation to avoid undesired installation  software >:(

After if there's bug inside installation program, Avast team must know how OS it makes this and what type of installation it was made.

Automatic, personal with several option---> Starting installation with full version after a clean avast soft in OS safe made?

Automatic by previous installed Avast version, manual on previous installed version???

Have a good day and week-end too  ;)

RIP Bx TZD TURBO 520140kms le 15/08/2015 et 26ans
Xantia ok jusqu'en 2026 et la C3 même punition@:
Dédicace à une fille merveilleuse Chloé qui a bien grandi:-)
Tonton d'une nièce nommée Chloé ^^ et du Mathieu dit le chinois

DWordmaster

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Just registered here to add my voice to the chorus... Luckily, no problem with Chrome-over-Chrome install screwups, just reinstalling WinXP on an old machine I maintain for my church, and then reinstalling the fine free virus protection I had been using on this machine for years. I set the Avast installer in motion and turned around to work on my iMac while the installer did its job. Imagine my surprise, when I turned around to find the virus protection program I USED TO TRUST completely, finishing up its installation of Google Chrome. If there had been an opt-out screen at some point, it went away without me ever seeing it. Not cool, especially for a company selling "trust". Funny thing is, I was planning on installing Chrome anyway, and if I HAD seen an opt-out screen, I wouldn't have opted out. But the simple fact that I was not asked before something was put on my system just totally changed my perception of Avast Software. Pretty stupid move, Avast people.