Author Topic: Error Starting Program  (Read 4670 times)

prefigure66

Error Starting Program
« on: January 04, 2005, 08:22:43 AM »
Hi All
If anyone can help with this problem

After  installing avast version 4.5 home edition to my laptop Toshiba Satiellite Pro 4300 series with WIN98SE operation software, did first scan and all went well. Untill next boot, a error window appeard saying "Error Starting Program The EVENTEX.DLL file is linked to missing export COMNCTR.DLL:?PathName@CPathName@@QAEAAV1@PBD@Z. "
Click ok life goes on but it is annoying.

Have done web searchs on error message. The closest I got to find info on fixing problem was a ENUM key trick in win registry using REGEDIT tool to delete key that I found on a other forum.
Souce link for trick is:

http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9254

I am not a programer, so I do not want to delete ENUM key from my registry in case of disaster result.

Any advise would be much appreciated
 thank you prefigure66

Attach picture of Error window
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 04:25:24 AM by prefigure66 »

galooma

Re:Error Starting Program
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:38:29 AM »
hi and welcome Pf  
i dont see the attachment anywhere, but even if i had my response would be the same .
Go add/remove programs then when you hit delete it gives you the option to repair your installation. hopefully this is all your problem is.
If this fixes nothing then report back here and hopefully some of the experts might have turned up .

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 09:55:08 AM »
I think this is a better link. Both the DLLs you mention (EVENTEX.DLL, COMNCTR.DLL) seem to be Logitech libraries.

I don't think avast! has anything to do about it... I'd suggest to reinstall the Logitech (mouse?) drivers.

prefigure66

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:52:22 AM »
hi and welcome Pf 
i dont see the attachment anywhere, but even if i had my response would be the same .
Go add/remove programs then when you hit delete it gives you the option to repair your installation. hopefully this is all your problem is.
If this fixes nothing then report back here and hopefully some of the experts might have turned up .

Hi ginblossom & Thanks

WIN98SE do not repair in add/remove program. I think it is a WIN2K feature that has repair in add/remove program. Also have reloaded picture

Pf

prefigure66

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 06:07:48 AM »
I think this is a better link. Both the DLLs you mention (EVENTEX.DLL, COMNCTR.DLL) seem to be Logitech libraries.

I don't think avast! has anything to do about it... I'd suggest to reinstall the Logitech (mouse?) drivers.

Hi igor & thanks

I do have a Logitech USB optical mouse installed, have removed re-installed twice now and still the same. The problem was there before mouse was installed. Avast was last know installed software hence looks guilty.

You said the DLL files are Logitech files. My question is if not a WIN98SE file. How do I stop WIN98SE looking for them?

Thanks Pf

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Error Starting Program
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 09:28:01 AM »
Remove the apllication that is looking for them from the list of things that loads at boottime will get the error away. But be carefull, it may also prevent something from working....

Or install the application properly.