Author Topic: Avast does not scan Zip/Exe Files?  (Read 5820 times)

Teachist

Avast does not scan Zip/Exe Files?
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:43:59 PM »
My Avast AV(lastest free version) keeps giving me errors in the event log, it says unable to scan my downloaded files. They are desertcombat mod/AmericasArmy/and Battlefield1942 patches. They are very large(100s of megs per file)zip files and exe files. Does Avast av not scan exe or zip files during download or downloaded? other than this, I am happy with Avast AV.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast does not scan Zip/Exe Files?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 09:47:27 PM »
It depens on your settings in Avast if archives are scanned or not.
If you have enable the scanning of archive files they will be scanned, unless they are in a format Avast doesn't recognize or if they are password protected.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 01:26:31 AM »
Does Avast av not scan exe or zip files during download or downloaded?

If you do not use a download manager, so, like Eddy said, it depends on your avast settings. Most probably, you're using the default level (High) and the files will be scanned.
If you use a download manager, add C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe to its settings.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 10:47:52 AM »
Before I run any .exe or .zip file whcih I have downloaded and saved, I always navigate to it within My Documents, right click on the file and then left click on the Scan with Avast blue icon which should be in the drop down list - then I'm in no doubt as to whether it's been scanned or not before I run it. :)

I've found in the past that some trojans can attach themselves to files without my knowing about it so it's as well always to scan anyway before you run something you've saved.  Avast would spot them anyway as soon as you tried to run them but better safe than sorry.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »
You can enable "scan created/modified files" in the standard shield and they will automaticly be scanned ;)

Since this option causes Avast to scan a lot more files, it could have influence on the system performance.
(basicly only on "older" systems)