Author Topic: How to Remove Avast Toolbar from Microsoft Outlook  (Read 21440 times)

crpcab

How to Remove Avast Toolbar from Microsoft Outlook
« on: July 01, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
After using Outlook and Avast on the same computer for years, my Outlook now has an Avast Toolbar.
This occurred after receiving an update from Avast last week.

But how to Remove this Toolbar permanently ?
Yes, it's easy to disable it (View>Toolbars>and deselect the Avast Toolbar), but it just reappears after exiting Outlook and then reopening it. 

Is it impossible to permanently remove the Avast Toolbar ?

janieinMN

Re: How to Remove Avast Toolbar from Microsoft Outlook
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
i'm having the SAME problem. since this last update 7.0.1451 the ANTI-SPAM toolbar is permanently open & same location. it'll disappear if i close the toolbar, but reappears when i close & reopen outlook.

additionally, outlook will not reopen after closing (since previous update to avast 7 -- would have to go to task manager and there'd be 2-3 outllooks running, once close the appropriate svc, it'd finish opening.
now, after the most recent avast update 7.0.1451 i get the 'the operation failed' popup. if i wait a bit, it'll open okay.

i'm unable to locate the antispamtoolbar.ini file mentioned elsewhere in this forum.
if i disable the mail shield, nothing changes in outlook.

i'm using outlook 2003
windows 7
avast 7.0.1451 update
js
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:55:55 PM by janieinMN »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
If you open MS Outlook and disable the avast! plugin there (Tools > "Trust Center" or similar menu as I'm translating it to English...).
The best things in life are free.

janieinMN

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
avast (free version, update 7.0.1451) does NOT showup as an addin or plugin in outlook 2003, therefore can't disable it there...
js

crpcab

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »
I don't see "Trust Center".

I have MS Outlook 2003.  So, when I select "Tools", there's no "Trust Center".

Thanks.  But, do you know of any other way to disable the Toolbar ? (it takes up screen space)

janieinMN

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
ok, this is what i figured out -- it removes the unwanted toolbar, BUT i do NOT KNOW yet how it's going to affect avast scanning email in outlook...

open avast
settings
troubleshooting
deselect "self-defense"

go to the avast folder
locate the files:
asOutExt.dll
asOutExt64.dll
move them to another folder (don't delete, just in case they're needed to do the email scanning).

reopen avast
go to self-defense and check box to re-enable

open outlook, NO avast anti-spam toolbar...

NOTE - again, i do not know if this is going to affect the email scanning in avast...
js

janieinMN

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
update - avast email scanning is still working.
so the above workaround works to remove the anti-spam toolbar without affecting the inbound/outbound virus scanning of the email.
js

crpcab

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
WOW  !   
Super !!
That made my day !!!  Really !!!!    :)
Thank you very much js 

janieinMN

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
yw crpcab :)

dj_g

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:43:37 AM »
update - avast email scanning is still working.
so the above workaround works to remove the anti-spam toolbar without affecting the inbound/outbound virus scanning of the email.
js
I appreciate your work & help, I have the same problem and it's annoying. But how did you verify e-mail scanning is still completely in effect?

You figure somnebody from Avast would chime in. Ahh, the joys of enhanced software versions :D.

Thanks again!

janieinMN

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
verified email scanning still in effect -- by sending myself (and having hubby send) emails... and sending out test emails -- then opening the avast userface and looking at the email info... the 'count' changed accordingly and the name of the last email scanned reflected it was still working...

note, that when i made the necessary changes, i also rebooted (even though opening outlook after removing the 2 .dll files took care of the pesky toolbar). so, i believe that the addon (now a macro in the newest update) only dealt with the anti-spam feature and had nothing to do with the virus scanning of in/out-going email :-)
js

dj_g

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
Ahh, the SOS test technique (Significant Other Spamming :)). Thanks so much for your help here. As it turns out it appears to be fixed in the new update - seems like they had a few issues. But it all looks good now.

Thanks again and have a Happy Fourth!

NoelC

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
This cropped up again.

At one point I had uninstalled the spam filter, but apparently a recent update caused the following two registry entries to be added anyway:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\avast.AsOutExt

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\avast.AsOutExt

Removal of these entries from the registry solved the problem.

-Noel