Author Topic: Possible problem with 7.0.1451  (Read 5577 times)

1eyedjack

Possible problem with 7.0.1451
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
I am trying to provide some remote assistance to my parents who are beyond travelling distance.
We both have Avast IS version 7.0.1451, but cannot at present use the remote assistance tool built into Avast because one of the problems that my parents have is an inability to connect to the internet.  It is by no means certain (in my mind) that the inability to connect to the internet is related to Avast, but there is a problem with their Avast installation, which cropped up at about the same time (being about when the machine upgraded to 7.0.1451), and it is possible that one of you clever chaps could point us in the right direction on both issues.

The problem with the Avast installation is that it reports on the main summary screen that real time shields are down.  However clicking on each real time shield individually reports that that shield is running.  On the main summary screen we get an option to "Fix now" or "Turn on", neither of which buttons appears to have any effect.

The basic set up is this: The ISP is Virgin Media, in the UK, who provide a cable modem.  Attached to the cable modem is a wireless router (Netgear WNR8324B).  They have two computers: A desktop which is hardwired to the router, and a laptop that connects via wireless.

The desktop machine has NOT upgraded to version 7.0.1451 and functions fine, and continues to have full internet connection.

The laptop machine (Windows 7) cannot connect to the Internet since upgrading to 7.0.1451.  I cannot say for certain that the problems occurred simultaneously.  I was not there.  But the time scale is about right.

We ran a network diagnostic on the laptop and it reports the following:

"Windows Network Diagnostics
Troubleshooting has completed
Unable to automatically fix problems found
Problems found:
Wireless network connection does not have a valid IP configuration
Not Fixed."

Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Possible problem with 7.0.1451
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch in the problematic computer:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

fiskonian

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
No, disable webshield. It was doing this to me too. I went through everything trying to figure out why I couldn't get webpages and connections to servers for chat clients and steam, but I could ping everything. not to mention the memory leaks, performance drops, etc

I disabled webshield and it was all magically fixed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
Nothing is magical in computers... You're reducing your protection noticeably when disabling Web Shield.
All other problems could be related to a non-good avast! installation or, most probably, remains of other bad uninstalled antivirus...
The best things in life are free.

1eyedjack

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Hi - thanks for the input.  I shall report back if I need more help.
I have to say that I *feel* that the first priority is to get the internet connection up and running.  We *could* download the files etc using the second computer and then transfer them across by USB, but my instinct tells me that this is not going to fix the invalid IP configuration.

For the time being I have advised them to
Load a command prompt as administrator then
ipconfig /release
then
ipconfig /renew

and at that point see where we are at.

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
Hi,
 I have had exactly the same problems directly after the update to 1451, someone on the forum advised me to uninstall Avast and re-install it again. I did that, uninstalled and immediately had internet access after rebooting. After downloading and installing the latest program file (1451). then rebooting following the installation, everything was working perfectly again---- HOWEVER the yesterday when I turned on the PC the problems had returned.  :(
Luckily someone else on this forum had also suggested going to to the Avast Firewall advanced settings (I am using Avast Internet Security) and in the "expert settings" to check off "Use Faster Checksums", which I did and as soon as I clicked on OK I had access to the internet. However the real time shield and webshield were still reporting that they were disabled. Previously it had been impossible to turn them on, but when I clicked "Turn on" this time, they both started perfectly and have functioned ever since.  :)
I did try unchecking the "Use Faster Checksums" setting, and after rebooting, no internet access and no web/real time monitoring as before. Re-checking it gave got the whole lot working again ! So there must be some glitch in the update that has affected the the firewall in some way.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 11:52:54 PM by Grumpfuttock »

nofrills

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:55 AM »
Luckily someone else on this forum had also suggested going to to the Avast Firewall advanced settings (I am using Avast Internet Security) and in the "expert settings" to check off "Use Faster Checksums", which I did and as soon as I clicked on OK I had access to the internet. However the real time shield and webshield were still reporting that they were disabled. Previously it had been impossible to turn them on, but when I clicked "Turn on" this time, they both started perfectly and have functioned ever since.  :)
I did try unchecking the "Use Faster Checksums" setting, and after rebooting, no internet access and no web/real time monitoring as before. Re-checking it gave got the whole lot working again ! So there must be some glitch in the update that has affected the the firewall in some way.

Erm, that would be ME  ;D but you meant ENABLE 'use fast checksums' - NOT disable, Disabling, loses internet - enabling make the net work again (unsure why). The bods here really should sticky this fix, as every day someone is posting a 'help, Ive upgraded, & now have no internet' & the usual 'try a self-repair/ uninstall-reinstall' is troted out, that frankly, doesn't solve the problem. Ticking 'fast checksums' does  8)

Grumpfuttock

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »

Erm, that would be ME  ;D but you meant ENABLE 'use fast checksums' - NOT disable, Disabling, loses internet - enabling make the net work again (unsure why). The bods here really should sticky this fix, as every day someone is posting a 'help, Ive upgraded, & now have no internet' & the usual 'try a self-repair/ uninstall-reinstall' is troted out, that frankly, doesn't solve the problem. Ticking 'fast checksums' does  8)

Ok, No Frills you got me there :-[, a bit misleading I admit, I should have written "check" not "check off" (which to me is "check" as in check off on a list), for disabling I did mention "uncheck" !
 I agree, making it a sticky would cut down on the time spent searching the forum and the many and various posts in the "Program Update 7.0.1451" Thread. It took a good part of 2 evenings, searching the forum for answers, re-installing etc, etc... before I eventually had everything functioning again. All that, just to add a check mark, although according to the note by the check mark it makes things slightly less secure... hmmm !

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
Is your problem fixed now?  I found this https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100473.0 if you haven't already done it already.

1eyedjack

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
yay

Problem fixed

It was the faster checksums box at fault.

Thanks all very much.  I am mum's golden boy again  :)