Author Topic: clicked on bogus usps shipment notification n6064 email today  (Read 2359 times)

dumfounded

So....I clicked on a bogus e-mail today.....then proceeded to click on a box in the window it opened.  Immediately after....I knew I shouldn't have.....and then I noticed my computer said it would restart in a few seconds....  I quickly turned off the power and removed the battery to get it to stop doing what it was doing.  The email subject was USPS shipment notification n6064.  The computer is not acting funny.....and I can't seem to determine if there was any harm done......I have free avast.....and the quick scan showed no infected files  The full system scan is 19% done and shows 1 infected file. 

Will avast tell me how to remove infections when it is done scanning?
If not...what do I do? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: clicked on bogus usps shipment notification n6064 email today
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
Will avast tell me how to remove infections when it is done scanning?
there will be some options...... clean, quarantine , delete

If not...what do I do? 
screem for help...... we are here.  ;)

these fake UPS mails usually have a zip attachment where the malware is
was there a attachment ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
They can also have links to phishing sites or web-bugs to track if the email got through/opened.

If you aren't expecting a UPS delivery, how can anyone fall for this scam. You didn't give them your email address how would they know.

Hopefully you have learnt a valuable lesson without paying a high price. Never open attachments or click on links in unsolicited emails. Better yet don't even open them as some will have tracking bugs, that essentially confirm that you have opened the email.

This not only confirms the email address is good bad that they have someone that is prepared to open the email. This is gold dust to a spammer/scammer and your email address is likely to be forwarded/sold to other spammers/scammers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
Agree with DavidR,

Lesson learnt never to open unsollicited mail - period. Then you had a lucky escape as you did not fall for the social engineering bit nor have opened a suspicious attachment notr clicked a malcious redirect in the mail or had that land something on your OS. As with all things on the Internet "Watch your clicks!",

Stay safe and secure with avast av,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!