Author Topic: Getting a pop-up window every minute??!!  (Read 28080 times)

loranga

Getting a pop-up window every minute??!!
« on: January 03, 2005, 01:24:36 AM »
Hi,

I´m getting a pop-up winodow every minute!
The only thing I'm running is DC++.

It says: "Internet connection timeout elapsed. Continue waiting? (DCPlusPlus.exe -> 83.31.149.175:110)

What should i do??

techie101

Re:Getting a pop-up window every minute??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 01:35:59 AM »
loranga,

I am at a loss to see what your problem has to do with Avast?

Do you have Avast installed?
If so, what is your OS?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 01:37:21 AM »
The only thing I'm running is DC++.
It says: "Internet connection timeout elapsed. Continue waiting? (DCPlusPlus.exe -> 83.31.149.175:110)
What should i do??

What is DC++? An email client?
What about increasing the timeout into email account settings...?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 02:04:15 AM »
Could be the MS developer studio, but it could also be THIS

techie101

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 02:18:18 AM »
DC++ is an open source client for the Direct Connect protocol. Direct Connect allows you to share files over the internet without restrictions or limits. The client is completely free of advertisements and has a nice, easy to use interface. Firewall and router support is integrated and it’s easy and convenient to use functionality like multi-hub connections, auto connections and resuming of downloads.

We need a bit more information before we can venture off into "solution" land.   ;)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 11:03:16 AM »
Hi Ioranga,

DC++ (similary to some other file sharing programs) tries to overcome the firewall rules and uses TCP/IP ports reserved for other services. In this case it is the port 110, commonly used for POP3 protocol. This trick might work for firewalls, but it also confuses avast! Avast! is trying to check outgoing connections to certain ports (110, 143, 25) for viruses and expect the mail communication on these connections. DC++ does not send or receive mails nor does the remote host respond via POP3 protocol.

The solution is simple. You must exclude the DC++ process from the automatic virus scan.
Find your avast4.ini ( c:\program files\alwil software\avast4\data\avast4.ini ) and in the section [MailScanner] add (or edit) the following key:

[MailScanner]
IgnoreProcess=DCPlusPlus.exe

Multiple process names can be separated with commas.

Lukas

tychoquad

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 12:03:06 PM »
I also suffer from this, I stepped away from my computer for an hour or so, and came back to find 20-30 of these things in my taskbar :P

I applied the workaround you suggested with the 3 P2P apps on my computer, so far so good, but my question is why? Why does this (rather un-informative) error message appear now, and not in a previous release, and I'm guessing a software update is to blame here. I'd rather not tell my antivirus software to ignore applications on my computer, so is there a fix coming that will allow me to remove the ignore?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 12:46:35 PM »
The 'fix' as you call it, should come form the makers of those p2p applications. They let their applications use ports that are asigned to other tasks.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

tychoquad

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
Well that's funny, since when do mail clients use the ports 6881, 6882, 6883 and 6884? The fix has worked, and I've got all my P2P clients using the above ports only. There seems to be a bug in the latest avast! that doesn't like P2P clients.

EDIT: There is also the fact that avast totally ignores what you do with the error box. if you don't answer it, another one will pop up X minutes later, if you click yes, another one will pop up X minutes later, if you click no, guess what? another one will pop up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 01:08:34 PM by tychoquad »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »
You must exclude the DC++ process from the automatic virus scan.

Sorry Lukas... You will open a hole in your system.

I'd rather not tell my antivirus software to ignore applications on my computer, so is there a fix coming that will allow me to remove the ignore?

I feel the same... There must be a solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 01:37:02 PM »
There is also the fact that avast totally ignores what you do with the error box. if you don't answer it, another one will pop up X minutes later, if you click yes, another one will pop up X minutes later, if you click no, guess what? another one will pop up.

Please, take a look on this and see if it's not possible to get a window with the question: Do not show this warning again...  8)

tychoquad

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 02:01:56 PM »
I'm sure there's no checkbox.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 02:11:42 PM »

I'm sure there's no checkbox.

Me too  8)
I'm asking them to add one  ;D

tychoquad

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
Well I don't even want to see the error. It wasn't there in previous versions, and it shouldn't be there now.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 02:20:37 PM »
You must exclude the DC++ process from the automatic virus scan.

Sorry Lukas... You will open a hole in your system.

Ok, maybe I haven't stressed this enough - only mail communication of 'ignored' process is not scanned. This brings no other exceptions - file access is of course scanned. In ver. 4.1 this feature was not available, you might also say that all processes were ignored. :) We added the transparent mail scanner in ver. 4.5, since then avast! scans not only mail clients you have configured for this but also all communication to certain ports.

If you believe DC++ sends emails and you think they must be scanned - it's ok to let them being scanned by avast! But I assure you there are no mails going in DC++ and thus ignored or not, no mail scanning on it's connection will ever have any other effect that timeout message!!!

The timeout message is there for the situations when sending or receiving of large mail may look like timeout and you would like to wait a bit longer in stead of just silently terminate such a connection.

Lukas.