Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen{UPX!} and WinRAR320  (Read 18924 times)

SV

Win32:Trojan-gen{UPX!} and WinRAR320
« on: August 28, 2003, 02:05:54 PM »
Firstly: If there is a FAQ page could someone please direct me to it because I might be asking some stupid questions.

Secondly: If there isn't a FAQ page: While scanning my harddrive avast! found Win32:Trojan-gen{UPX!} in a downloaded winrar320.exe file - in Zip.SFX. I downloaded it again and had it scanned by "Kaspersky", "Panda activescan" and "Trend Micro" and none of them could find a virus. I'm now wondering if there is a virus or not?

Thirdly (less important): When clicking Avast On-access Protection control (from the tray icon) getting the "Resident Protection", then clicking "Details" button, then "Outlook/Exchange", "Inbound mail" the field under "move it to the following Outlook folder" doesn't seem to remember the folder. I'm using Outlook 2000.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Win32:Trojan-gen{UPX!} and WinRAR320
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:19:55 PM »
About the second question: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=981;start=msg5229#msg5229
but you will get more infos if you search for "winrar".
Maybe someone else will answere your other questions! ;)
MfG Ralf

SV

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 02:31:32 PM »
Thanks raman!

I searched for win32:trojan-gen; must have missed that post out of stupidity and/or laziness. I'll stop panicking now.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 02:37:48 PM »
Yes, the WINRAR file is indeed confirmed false alarm which will be removed during the next update. The same is true for the FOLDER.HTT. We have added many new trojans detection recently
and even we did the long and thorough tests (for more than one week), we were not able to get thos FPs.

Sorry and thanks for the cooperation!

Pavel

SV

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 02:49:00 PM »
Thank you also Pavel,

Won't be formating my hard drive then  :)

I know I'm pushing my luck, but you won't know where I can get info on my Outlook folder problem? (It's something about the title "Administrator" that causes me start asking questions.)

Attached is what I get when everytime I try to set the folder.

jago

Re:Win32:Trojan-gen{UPX!}
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 11:44:42 PM »
A few days ago my AVAST scanner gave a virus message: c:\windows\TVTMD.exe.
VIRUS NAME : win32:Trojan-gen.(UPX!)

The problem is that after deleting the file (after transferring to the Virus chest- deleting is not possible : message:"can not process “C:\windows\TVTMD.exe”")  the message re-appears when restarting my PC and so does the deleted file (sometimes I find -besides “the  c:\windows\TVTMD.exe”one or two files infected by the same virus).

Who can give me information about this virus (is it a real virus?) or this file.
How get rid of it ?

Thanks
jago

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 05:33:59 AM »
It sems to be Spyware( http://www.spywareguide.com/creator_show.php?id=26 ). Download Spybot  and let it delete it. http://security.kolla.de/

MfG Ralf

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 08:09:35 AM »
sv, I'll try to simulate/fix the Outlook issue. But please (in the future) avoid these blended threads - they tend to be confusing for most readers. Next time, please start a new thread (in this case it would be in the "avast! 4" category), and ask just one question at a time (or a couple of related questions).

You see, I almost missed your question because I monitor the "viruses and worms" category much less often then "avast! 4". ;)

Thanks!
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.