Author Topic: Service program update 7.0.1456  (Read 267067 times)

Bruce2

Re: Service program update 7.0.1456
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
I admit I have not read all 12 pages of comments; I have, however, had problems on two PCs with Firefox since updating to 7.0.1456, and troubleshooting them has been time-consuming. At this point, anyway, there appear to be a confluence of factors suggesting some combination of the latest versions of Avast, Firefox, Flash, and (possibly--at least for me) Online Armor are not working well together. Some things I have found out to date:
  • Failure to exclude Online Armor executable files in File Shield in the past was unnecessary; it is now. [I had already done it the other way around.]
  • Even the Flash Uninstaller does not always remove all Flash files. In Win 7, go to the directory, "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" after running the uninstaller. The Flash directory should be gone or empty. If there are files in it, close any app that may be using Flash (e.g., browser, Secunia PSI) and delete them manually. On at least one PC, I could not install the new version of Flash until I did this.
  • Turning off the Behavioral Shield generally allows apparently normal browsing, though you reduce protection as a cost. So did shutting down Online Armor, but disabling a firewall doesn't seem like a good solution to bad browsing, does it?   ;)  [I did find, however, that turning off Online Armor completely, launching my browser, then reactivating OA seemed to work fine. Not so with Behavioral Shield.]  ???
  • After finally uninstalling and reinstalling Flash on one PC about two hours ago, Firefox seems stable, if a little slow to start. I want to reboot a few times and clean the registry and see what happens.
  • The other PC seems OK with Firefox, but another issue has arisen with Avast. When I click on "Show traffic history," I receive a message that Flash is not installed, despite the fact that it definitely is. In addition, Avast wants to download a file from its website (fl2.avast.exe), which is an old version of Flash (11.1.xxx). I will do some maintenance and reboot a couple of times to see if this issue goes away.

I hope someone finds this helpful. There are too many apps out there that are uncoordinated. When software development was less about how fast and more about how well, rival developers could better coordinate changes to their platforms (at least if they thought it was to their advantage   ;D ). With everyone now vying to turn out new version of stuff every few weeks or days almost, it's hard to troubleshoot problems other than to stay behind the pack and wait for the dust to clear. I guess the upside of a suite of apps is that development is likely to be more coordinated. The cost is to risk using suboptimal products designed for the "typical" user--whoever that is!
....Forget FF and start using Chrome like everyone else is to reduce problems. Start using Comodo FW and Def+ instead of OA and only use the Web and Script Filters. The rest are over kill and just slow you down..lol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »
What you do on your own system is your business, but this advice could put other users systems at risk and that isn't acceptable on the official support forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

swenholmberg

« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2012, 12:52:26 AM »
laptop running win 7 x64.  upgraded from 7.0.1426 to 7.0.1456 and lost all display.  friend uninstalled .1456 and reinstalled old version and laptop runs fine.  Of course I keep getting the update popup wanting me to install .1456 ?  How can I supress the update popup until the next update that might be more agreeable with my computer

speckledbird

« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
I did a clean install on 2 of my computers and all went well.  I now have to do my mom's and then we will all be set.
2 computers,  Win XP, sp3. , 32 bit
mom's computer is Win XP, sp3, 64 bit
Hoping the clean install on the 64 bit computer will be successful too.  I think all will be fine.

To me it is just best to start with a clean install and avoid problems. 
Thank you Avast team.  You are very much appreciated.  Your antivirus has proteced me and my mom's computers.

Arizona

« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
Good luck.

Jesant13

« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »
I did not know that there was a program update for the copy of avast! Free Antivirus that I have installed on my computer until today, when I came to the forum for the first time in a while and saw this topic. I checked my copy of avast! Free Antivirus to see if it was reporting that a new version was available, and it was.

Since I have a rule not to manually update the antivirus and firewall programs I use (with certain exceptions) I waited for avast! Free Antivirus to let me know of the program update. What I think is ironic is that it did so today, some time after I looked at this topic.

I didn't click on the notification that popped up in time and it went away (which was my fault as I waited some time as I was doing something else.) So, I double-clicked on avast! Free Antivirus' icon in the Notification Area and was provided with a way to update without clicking more than once. The program began downloading and installing the update files, and once that finished I was prompted to restart. After closing some programs, I allowed avast! Free Antivirus to do so, and it restarted my computer.

After my computer restarted and I logged in, a message appeared telling me some of the new things in the release. I waited some, as I have another rule to wait until the hard disc drive activity light is not fully or near fully illuminated. I then manually synchronized my computer's clock to an Internet time server.

After that, the message was still there. I unchecked one of the boxes so Google Chrome would not be installed and clicked on the button to move forward. The message disappeared and avast! Free Antivirus' icon appeared in the Notification Area. I double-clicked on the icon, and looked around some. The program had already checked for updates (there were none) and was reporting that the latest version was installed. I did not restart my computer to see if the message would come up again because I trust it won't.

I have not noticed any decrease or increase in performance so I am satisfied with the release and don't have any complaints. I appreciate the work that went into this release.

skyguy

« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:28 AM »
Update to 7.0.1456 crashes Outlook 2010 when I use the reading pane.  I had no problems before this version.  The reading pane itself is OK until I receive new mail, then Outlook immediately crashes.  No crash witht the reading pane turned off.  When it crashes. Outlook restarts but with the reading pane closed and my favorites list messed up. 

I did a system restore to a few days ago to before the 7.0.1456 update.  Avast wouldn't run at all after the system restore.  I uninstalled and installed version 6.  Everything was fine including the Outlook reading pane.  Then I updated to 7.0.1456 and the problem immediately recurred.

Avast has some work to do here.  Meanwhile I'm restoring back to version 6 and will wait for a fix.

purplesaxark

« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »
where do I download the dern program? This is rediculous having to SEARCH for it!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:14 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Zen11t

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
Hi all,
I wanted to point that the problem described here
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100429.msg802584#msg802584
 is not solved in the new version 7.0.1456

The button "run virtualized process" is not working from GUI

Yes, I tested it IS v7.1456 too, it's not working. When you choose the file and click to the ok button nothing happen.

[anton]

« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
First off, since it's my first post I can't but express my gratitude to the AVAST team for their great work. I've been using avast since 4th version and I noticed a huge progress made with the latest releases of the program.

Now, to the point. I updated (using uninstall tool) avast on my PC with XP SP3  installed 2 days ago. Everything seems to work fine except for a tiny issue: the script shield doesn't work when I surf the web using  either Firefox or Opera, while being active with IE.

Does anybody know how to fix it?

innkeeper9

« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:40 PM »
I have no idea if this is the right place to post this. I have had to actually uninstall Avast to get my computer back working. When I turned the computer on this morning I had a notification of an Avast Emergency Update v 7.0.1456.418 so I clicked the button. I use Avast Free. It began installing and I got no options from that point. It installed a bunch of google stuff [never did get any screen asking if I wanted it.] Once installed it said it needed to restart my computer, I clicked yes and the problems began. The system restarted put the logon screen up and I clicked OK but then it gave me a black screen, nothing loading. I waited but nothing happened after 5 minutes, I had to power down with the power button. Suffice it to say, that the update was 5:30a.m. my time [California] and I have just now finally got to the forum.

After multiple restarts, all of which would finally load Windows and the avast icon in the tray, it would not load my sound icon in the tray, nor my ZoneAlarm, nor would it let me do anything once I finally got to that point. If I clicked on IE to go to the web [trying to get here and find out if there were issues] all I got was the hourglass and had to go to task manager to restart. If I opened and then closed Task Manager my Start bar would disappear, which of course meant I couldn't get anywhere. Finally, after multiple tries, and getting the same problems - I could get to nothing on my computer after I did get it started, no matter what I clicked, if it wasn't on the desktop, all I would get was the hourglass.  Ultimately, I finally remembered something about safe mode and finally hit the right key F8 and got to it. At that point I removed Avast and now everything works fine. Of course, I have no protection.

I'm sorry if this is long, and if I haven't given you the information you need. I'm not a computer beginner, but I'm not real knowledgeable either. Is it absolutely necessary to have that beta thing that this update is because if it won't let me use the computer, I'll sure never get a virus, but that would only be because I'm not on the web anymore :)

I have WinXP Pro SP3. My only antivirus is [was] avast. I also have zonealarm free 10.1.101.000

I appreciate any help.

Ruth
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:34:05 PM by innkeeper9 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
innkeeper9, sometimes the firewall and the antivirus have their issues with the other.
Maybe you can uninstall ZA, boot, repair avast! installation (Control Panel), reinstall ZA to test.
The best things in life are free.

jrace

« Reply #193 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
Hello jrace,

--> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100502.msg804553#msg804553

Hi TerraX,

thanks for the helpful link, I didn't see it up to now!  :)

Jerry Clancy

« Reply #194 on: July 09, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
This cycle has repeated numerous times. Avast warns me to update. The updating screen says Currnet version: 7.0.1456. It starts to download multiple files and crashes with an AV downloading vps_32-846-845.vpx with the attached error message. Repeated attempts, even across reboots and with nothing else running result in similar screens loading the same module, just with different addresses.

If I can't resolve this very soon, I'm headed to another virus checker.

XP Pro

4:46 pm ET

I have since registered again (didn't have my old one) and downloaded a new .1456. It crashed installing with an AV but then said installed OK. On reboot I got a "avast! WebRep crashed". WebRep is now OFF for all browsers (I set this). At least the Upgrade warnings have stopped but I just think this version of avast has some real problems. At the moment it MAY be running OK. Can't be sure.

I've had problems with Avast over the past several months, one time having it cause the Blue Screen of Death. Removing avast in Safe Mode solved the boot issue. Reinstalled later.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:51:11 PM by Jerry Clancy »