Author Topic: Complete your avast! software update?  (Read 35458 times)

Physicsman

Re: Complete your avast! software update?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
I managed to fix this issue by (temporarily!!!) switching off the self defense module, rebooting to allow the "Complete Your Avast! Software Update" process to finish, and then switching back on the self defense module.

The Self Defense module is via Settings > Troubleshooting; then unchecking the Enable avast! self-defense module checkbox.

Don't forget to switch your self defense module back on after you reboot!!!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:37 PM »
Can you please navigate to avast! installation folder - and verify the digital signatures of AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe?
(by rightclicking on those files, selecting Properties, switching to the Digital Signatures tab, selecting the signature line and clicking the Details button)
Thanks.

Ossie1972

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 11:30:10 PM »
I'm having the same issue since the last update:  "complete update" popup every time the machine starts.  What is most aggravating is that it re-tests every programme you try to run and you have to re-teach it that games & other exes are not viruses.

My machine is Windows 7 64 bit.  Avast says current version is 7.0.1451 but this is in red with the yellow exclamation mark as if to say needs updating or update not complete.  I'm still giving Avast the benefit of the doubt that the part of the update which has not "completed" is NOT the fact that I unticked the unwanted Google Chrome and it will continue to do this every time until I give up and install it.

What info do you need from the digital signatures?

Jahojo

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:57 PM »
This happened back in Feb with one of the earlier updates to the Avast program as well.

This thread did solve the problem for a lot of users, including me, but this does not seem to be the case this time.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93915.msg747943#msg747943

My ini file still has the proper setting and I'm getting the "Finish Install" pop up as well, so it's not caused by the exact same issue as before.

I'm willing to send any file or information if it will help to resolve this issue.

Offline Mogwai

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
Had that issue as well since vers. 7.0.1456 and clicked several times ok after restart. Then yesterday I found out I was still on vers. 7.0.1451 and updated. Also major system failures with "not enough system resources" (even after only 10 minutes after starting PC) and blue screens. Mailer clients bring error about not being able to connect to server because with error message "FETCH - Server meldet Fehler. Die Antwort ist: -ERR concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded" - no program was running, no downloads, no surfing.
Impossible to work properly since the last two versions after "ages" of using avast! (on Win XP Pro Media Center Edition SP3)
:-(

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
This is what happens when companies try to force other free software on you

Lujiki

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
I had Avast Free 7.0.1451 installed.  I read on the forum about v7.0.1456 being available, so checked the AvastUI to verify that it showed there and it did.  Without triggering the update, I restarted Windows and logged into my Admin account.  When Windows came up, I was greeted with the same Avast requester that MaggieQ shows in the first post.  I don' know why as no update was attempted.  I clicked thru that after deselecting the Google Chrome options.  AvastUI was still showing 7.0.1451 as the current version, and that the update to 7.0.1456 was available.  To be safe, I restarted Windows again, and was not shown the "Complete update" requester on restart.  I then triggered the update, and restarted when it was requested.

The "Complete undate" requester came up one last time on restart and hasn't appeared since.  What triggered the first "Complete update" requester for me.  Avast did update properly when triggered, all settings were preserved, and Avast is running fine.

Exactly the same for me. Booted into normal user account (no admin) and without any actions on my side, i was already shown the "complete update" window. I think i even didnt uncheck the chrome browser thing, but nothing happened as i clicked finish. I then checked the version und triggered the update manually. After reboot once again the "complete update" windows popped. This time I unchecked the chrome things. Everything working fine so far. I just really want to know what triggered the first "complete update" windows although nothing was updated in the first place. Is it s.th with normal/admin user account maybe?

Thank you very much for clarification!

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Happened for me too, on Vista and XP VM machine.
After automatic VPS update, I rebooted these machine without updating program but both showed "Complete..." window.
Of course, these avast version were still 7.0.1451, so I started manual updating. After reboot, same window appeared.

@igor
Both AvastSvc.exe and AvastUI.exe have valid digital signatures.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

swag-nyc

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
perhaps the folks at avast should learn how bit flag better

0=off
1=on

avast5.ini  post install splash flag = 2

since when does 2relate to on/off bits?

PS the captcha system on the forums is insulting to your users

Mjr

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Same here...
Drastically slows down my startup and asks to finish every time.

Opened Avast and tried to do the update from within the program... restarted... and it asked to finish again.

The program says it's all up to date but then still want's to finish.

AND more wasted time again.

Did you guys lose the original programmer(s) that made Avast great?
The team you have now is really taking it in the opposite direction.
Maybe you should investigate and see if they are really spies for Symantec or something.

Win 7 X64 and this is the only program that doesn't work right.

amiew

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »
I have a theory that I tested out. It truly is them trying to push Chrome on you. I completely uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstalled from the site download. That download AUTOMATICALLY installs Chrome without asking. I let Chrome stay on and restarted the computer several times. No popup. Then last night before I shut down, I uninstalled Chrome using Revo. This morning, the popup was back with the two boxes checked.

I believe Avast scans to see if you have Chrome, and if you don't, it gives you the popup. First, I'm upset that it installed Chrome without my consent, and second, I'm sick of Google trying to insert itself into every part of my life without asking, so I'm uninstalling Avast and going to the Windows virus scanner.

I know you have to pay the bills, but seriously, this is an intrusion of my privacy and there are enough of those already what with Comcast now scanning to see if I'm downloading anything illegally. If I wanted to use things illegally, I wouldn't have this problem because I would have downloaded a cracked version of Avast!

I hope you enjoy the money Google is paying you. I know you have to stay in business, but getting into bed with the evil king of the internet is not (IMHO) how to do it. Seriously, if you just charged $1 for the free version, you'd make that money up quickly. I'd gladly pay it. If you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas, Avast....or worse...worms!

BTW, Google Chrome spies on you from the program that installed it, even if Chrome itself is not running. Goodbye, Avast. It was nice while it lasted.

vab220

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
NOW I'M GETTING EMAILS FROM NEXWAY (THE AVAST RENEWAL SALES SITE) ASKING ME WHICH INSTALLATION I WANT TO CANCEL BEFORE THEY BILL ME TWICE FOR THE TWO TIMES I ATTEMPTED THIS INSTALL. YUP, THE ALL CAPS IS ON PURPOSE. I'M NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS "BUG" AT ALL!!!!

THE AVAST TEAM BETTER COME UP WITH A FIX AND SEND EMAIL INSTRUCTIONS TO EVERY REGISTERED USER ON HOW TO AVOID/FIX THIS PROBLEM.

I ALSO WANT AN EMAIL EXPLAINING HOW I SHOULD DETERMINE WHICH ORDER TO CANCEL, SO I DON'T HAVE TO PAY 69.99 X 2 BECAUSE THEIR SOFTWARE KEPT TELLING ME TO INSTALL IT.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »
PS the captcha system on the forums is insulting to your users
It's randomically generated, not on purpose. Sorry for any inconvenience.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Avast has never installed Chrome on my machine, but then I've always opted out of it's install in the requester that show up during install and/or update.  Many other programs also offer Google Chrome install, and the few that I've installed all have had the option not to install Chrome.  All are opt-out instead of opt-in so caution is always required with any install.

There should be a requirement that all tag-along installs be opt-in only.  This one requirement would stop a lot of the rancor concerning such tag-along, as well as protecting those that don't want the program offered.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
I completely uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstalled from the site download. That download AUTOMATICALLY installs Chrome without asking.

If it really behaves this way for somebody, we'd like to fix it - but the QA guys have been trying to simulate this for quite a while and failed; it always gives you the choice.

I let Chrome stay on and restarted the computer several times. No popup. Then last night before I shut down, I uninstalled Chrome using Revo. This morning, the popup was back with the two boxes checked.

That's in interesting piece of information...
I mean, sure, the popup appears only when an update has occurred - so it won't show after the latest version has been installed from scratch, that's expected.
And if it appears (when an update has happened), it should appear only ONCE.
If it appears repeatedly (which, again, we've been unable to reproduce, unfortunately), it might mean that the installer is trying to "fix" something and thinks that an update has happened. If Revo (or any 3rd party uninstaller) has been used, it's not unlikely that it broke something (= uninstalled in a rather unusual way) and the setup is trying to repair it... but no, it's certainly not an intent for the popup to appear multiple times, no matter whether Chrome is there or not (on contrary - it should appear once, even if Chrome is already there / has been there before).

It may be helpful to get avast's setup.log from your computer - that might help us to tell what's going on. But since you already removed it, I suppose we're out of luck.

BTW, Google Chrome spies on you from the program that installed it, even if Chrome itself is not running.

A bit of paranoia might be a good thing, but this is way too much ;D
No, a non-running program can't spy on you, no matter how much you want to believe that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:39:02 PM by igor »