Author Topic: Complete your avast! software update?  (Read 35594 times)

jtallsmith

Re: Complete your avast! software update?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Ok so need to do:
1. Avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> disable the self defense module and save settings (don't worry about the messages, accept).

2. search for the file "avast5.ini" (even if it is version 7 of avast); EDIT the file with notepad.

3. in "avast5.ini", look for the "[common]" section. There should be an entry named "ShowSetupOutro".

4. change the above entry "ShowSetupOutro" from 1 to 0 (zero).

5. save the file and reboot.

6. go back to avast main GUI -> settings -> troubleshooting -> enable the self defense module and save.

before I can edit the ini

I did this and editted the ini and rebooted.
Avast updated from 7.0.1451 to 7.0.1456
The problem appears to be fixed now.
Not only was the failed install giving the Chrome popup but also stoping any subsequent updates.

RazorLan

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2012, 12:34:17 AM »
I did a manual update from the Avast! control panel.  For the moment, it seems to have stopped the problem from happening.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2012, 03:03:24 AM »
I did a manual update from the Avast! control panel.  For the moment, it seems to have stopped the problem from happening.
Thanks for reporting. Please, post back if you need further help.
The best things in life are free.

Tetsuo

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
Thanks for reporting. Please, post back if you need further help.

Tech, do you know if a new service program update is being released? I have to apply pk instructions (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100652.msg805718#msg805718) to several friends/relatives machines and it's not that easy...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
Tech, do you know if a new service program update is being released?
No, I do not have such inside information.
But due to some problems in the 1456 and the avast! plugin for Outlook, I think we will see a program update when it is solved, next days (or few weeks).
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tetsuo

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:05 PM »
No, I do not have such inside information.
But due to some problems in the 1456 and the avast! plugin for Outlook, I think we will see a program update when it is solved, next days (or few weeks).
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Tech.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Tech.
You're welcome.

dustnbones

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
PK. There is no avast5.ini file. I have same problem in XP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
There has to be an avast5.ini (or your install could be corrupt so may not work):
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini (XP location)
C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini (Vista/Win7 location), this location might be hidden so you will have to change the folder options in explorer, View, to show hidden files and folders.

If you had updated avast from an earlier version (not a clean install) then the \Avast Software\Avast\ names would differ \ALWIL Software\Avast5\ in the above paths.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Coopster

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
It doesn't happen only on first startup as suggested somewhere in this forum - it happens whenever I start a new task and is becoming VERY IRRITATING and EXTREMELY INSTRUSIVE.

An occasional reminder a couple of weeks and maybe a week before it expires would be fine.  Another reminder  a couple of days before it is due to expire is cool but every time I try to do something for the past month, this annoying nag screen pops up and obscures my work. ARRRGGGG!

One of the reasons I use Avast! is that it isn't too top-heavy, doesn't significantly slow down my computer land doesn't interfere with what I want to do unlike Norton and a few other - at least that was the case until the 24/7-everytime-I-click-something NAG SCREEN appeared to remind me that Avast! wants my money again.

Is Avast! going the same way as the others in getting bigger and trying to do too much? Indeed, when a supplier starts to get this pushy for money I really do have to ask the question "What's Wrong"? because in my experience, it's a sign of insolvency or something equally unhealthy for my enterprise.

In the years since I started to use Avast! there has been little need to seek support and I have been perfectly happy with it. The price isn't unreasonable and it does what I need it to do. However, this NAG SCREEN is a powerful incentive to start looking around for something else, maybe a different up-and-coming software that hasn't got too big for its boots.

PLEASE STOP THE DAILY NAG SCREEN! I DO NOT NEED REMINDING EVERY TEN MINUTES! DO YOU REALLY WANT ME TO LOOK FOR A DIFFERENT ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE?

Don't suggest that I send details of my system so you can try to work out why it is being a pain in the rear - that isn't my job and I don't have time to troubleshoot something for which I pay. Just sort out the issue and STOP NAGGING ME FOR MONEY or I will find something less troublesome!

Coopster

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
Coopster, the installation screen (popup) should appear only once. Something got wrong in your computer.
Maybe you should save avast settings, uninstall, boot, install again, boot, restore your settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
@ Coopster
Or do as suggested earlier in the topic, modify the avast5.ini file to correct the problem, less onerous than a full reinstall.

Please add "IgnoreSetupOutro=1" below "ShowSetupOutro" value in avast5.ini, this is a temporary solution until we release new program version. Thanks.

For the above modification in the [Common] section of avast5.ini - Use notepad to modify as this is the only text editor allowed write permission by the avast self-defence module (others are restricted to read permission only).
Default locations:
Win2k, XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini

Vista, Win7 - C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\avast5.ini
This folder may be hidden, so you may need to change the Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View, 'Show hidden files and folders.'

When you have completed your modification, select Save, the avast! self-defence module will seek confirmation, answer Yes.

EDIT: added avast5.ini section [Common] where this value should go.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:19:37 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security