Author Topic: Application Error after updating to the latest 7.0.1456  (Read 5805 times)

Offline Vapor

Application Error after updating to the latest 7.0.1456
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
Hi,
After updating to the latest program version 7.0.1456 of avast Pro I get this msg…AvastEmUpdate.exe-Application Error
FYI…. XP SP3, no other security software and this was installed once over GUI update than on clean windows install with the same results.
When reverting to the privies version, error disappears.
Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Application Error after updating to the latest 7.0.1456
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
Reversion to an earlier version (you don't say which version) could be that this element isn't present.

This is usually a scheduled task and checks to see if there are any Emergency Updates, this is as its name suggests emergency use only, should there be a problem with avast that would otherwise require a clean reinstall to resolve can be pushed out to resolve it. It is also something that only avast can determine the nature of the emergency to formulate the update for release using this tool.

What happens if you run it manually, e.g. double click it C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe ?
You can also check if that file (and function) is present in that location with the versions that you installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
What happens when you click Cancel (to debug the program)?
It would be nice to get a dump corresponding to the crash...
Thanks.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
Reversion to an earlier version (you don't say which version) could be that this element isn't present.
To the version 7.0.1451 prior to the version 7.0.1456
What happens if you run it manually, e.g. double click it C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe ?
When running manually, there is no reaction from “AvastEmUpdate.exe”
You can also check if that file (and function) is present in that location with the versions that you installed.
Yes that file is in the installation folder, but as of function, well I’m not sure of function expectancy when double-click, again “no reaction”
Thank you

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:50:51 PM »
The 7.0.1451 had a number of issues and that was why the 7.0.1456 version was released, so that would be the better option.

This would allow you to follow Igor's suggestion and hopefully gather information which avast could analyse.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vapor

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
After double clicking Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe and not getting any reaction!!  the error msg. has disappeared, so visually avast seem to be work fine, internally, well that’s something avast team has to determine I guess.
Thank you
I can reproduce the error by going back to my ISO created before double clicking AvastEmUpdate.exe and I still don't mind sending dump file, who/where do i send  it to if you would like me to?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:58:30 PM by Vapor »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
If you do have a memory dump from the moment the processed crashed (i.e. created at the moment the error message was shown), please upload it to
ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
After double clicking Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe and not getting any reaction!!  the error msg. has disappeared, so visually avast seem to be work fine, internally, well that’s something avast team has to determine I guess.
Thank you
I can reproduce the error by going back to my ISO created before double clicking AvastEmUpdate.exe and I still don't mind sending dump file, who/where do i send  it to if you would like me to?

Hi Vapor,

address 0x7c90100b contains ntdll!RtlEnterCriticalSection fnc code; since AvastEmUpdate module itself is not using critical sections at all, this problem is not easy to solve. Are you completely sure, that there is no other security solution which filters API calls?

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
Please use Dr. Watson to generate application crash dump:

1) Register Dr. Watson as JIT debugger by command "drwtsn32.exe -i"
2) Run drwtsn32.exe without parameters and select "Full" crash dump type in Dr. Watson's dialog.
3) After next crash of AvastEmUpdate.exe, please submit crash dump to ftp.avast.com "Incoming" folder, default path of crash dump file is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp

Thanks

Offline Vapor

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »
Hi Vapor,

address 0x7c90100b contains ntdll!RtlEnterCriticalSection fnc code; since AvastEmUpdate module itself is not using critical sections at all, this problem is not easy to solve. Are you completely sure, that there is no other security solution which filters API calls?
Well that’s where I’m  a bit of fault, my apology. What i have missed to mention that I do run Outpost Firewall Pro and I did check if there could have been filtering blockade, I discover that outpost was blocking AvastEmUpdate, it wouldn’t even pop the warning about it.  By double clicking the AvastEmUpdate outpost would create a rule of allowance and problem was gone, and no I`ve never  had to put avast for outpost exclusion, never had any issues.
But I do have a question how exactly emergency update benefits us, is there detail description I can read about. Just like with all the extras avast has added to its software (safe zone, sandbox.ext.) I don’t use it so I’m wonder if I would even want that function to start with my windows.
Thank you

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »
Hi Vapor,

AvastEmUpdate is just backup update way, used only if primary update way fails from some reason. It is intended only for internal Avast usage. Standard windows scheduler is used to execute this app once per 12 hours. Also do not worry about system resources, because it runs with idle priority. Only thing this tool do is simple check on avast servers to determine if there is an emergency update available or not.

Offline Vapor

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
Hi Spec8472,
Good enough explanation
Thank you