Author Topic: Avast 6 - how to turn off autmatic boot scan. (Takes forever)  (Read 13060 times)

stinky

Hello -

Please instruct me on how to turn off boot scan.  Thank you!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 6 - how to turn off autmatic boot scan. (Takes forever)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »
There is no automatic boot-time scan, it is a manual select and is a one shot deal, once complete, that is it unless you schedule it again.

If a scan is in progress, using the Esc button (as per instruction displayed on the screen) should stop it. See images, is this what you mean by the boot-time scan.

The latest avast version is 7.0.1456, so I would suggest that you update your version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stinky

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
Thank you for your fast response.

When I turn on PC, the green hard drive light stays on for at least 20 mins or more.  I thought that was because of the boot scan.
(I see "not schedule" in boot scan dialogue)

If I put heuristics to 'low' 0 or 'off'- would that speed up Avast 'doing its thing' when the PC is turned on?

I tried Avast 7 but gave me problems.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
If a boot-time scan was running then you should see the boot-time scan screen, if you don't see it then that isn't what is happening. But to find why the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) light is green is a whole different ball game, if whilst that is on if avast were scanning something (it is an on-access scanner) then the avast tray icon would be rotating also.

In all honesty sticking with the old version isn't going to help as essentially if you find a problem with it (if truly a problem in avast 6) then it is unlikely to have any further investigation on an old version.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
What is your operating system and  firewall ?
What other security software do you have installed, anti-spyware, etc. ?

So again I would suggest that you should get the latest version of avast and do a clean install, if some of the answers to the above questions don't give any pointers to what might be creating the activity on the HDD.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security