Author Topic: "...D:\part-setup_ais-ffffffff.vpx..." - can't get rid of this error!  (Read 13154 times)

Sllim

Sorry if this has been posted before but i've been searching for hours now and am unable to resolve my issue.

I've been using avast 7 (installed on a secondary HDD) for about 2-3 months now and have never had a problem until today. I installed a new game through Steam today and every time i try to launch it i receive the following error: "Error reading product data from "D:\part-setup_ais-ffffffff.vpx". Setup cannot continue."

I then decided to try to uninstall Avast which i couldn't do as i end up getting the same error. I've read on multiple threads to use the 'aswclear' (which i got from this forum) and to run it in safe mode. When i run it in safe mode and try to uninstall it i get the same error again!

Once i rebooted i can see that avast has actually gone but i'm still getting that error when trying to launch my game. I tried reinstalling it to the same path and again, same error. I tried to uninstall after this, same error

I even tried clearing out the Registry with CCleaner but i'm still getting that error when trying to launch my game.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to reformat my HDD as i have a lot of data to back-up. Any help is appreciated :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
This is what you get with bad installation media or a corrupt installation file. Preferred solution new installation with the uninstall tool: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility  and make a new install, to correct the initial 246 byte corrupt data file.
Lots of success,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!