Author Topic: Apparent memory problems after update  (Read 4102 times)

z8000783

Apparent memory problems after update
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »
Have been away since April and restarted the PC on 27th June when of course, it downloaded updates from all and sundry including Avast. I then experienced what appears to be a memory problem that eventually crashes the PC. Up to now this machine has been incredibly reliable. This has now gone on for 4/5 days. Problem can occur immediately or after a few hours but it's always the same result, the Title Bar on a window disappears and programs fail to execute.

So, rolled back the system to April settings and disabled updates from MS - no difference.

Uninstalled Avast and installed AVG - problem seems to have gone away.

Were there any updates during this period that could account for this?

bobo1

Re: Apparent memory problems after update
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
Hi,
Again as with most posts we need to know what operating system you are using. Have U tested the computer with a good antispyware scanner Malware bytes is good and download it update it and do full scan and remove what it finds. I have no issues with avast latest version. I have used avg in the past and is weak and lets in viruses. Avast is much better and has more shields, it even disconnects your connection if you hit a infected site. Who could wish for more.

z8000783

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Hi,
Again as with most posts we need to know what operating system you are using. Have U tested the computer with a good antispyware scanner Malware bytes is good and download it update it and do full scan and remove what it finds. I have no issues with avast latest version. I have used avg in the past and is weak and lets in viruses. Avast is much better and has more shields, it even disconnects your connection if you hit a infected site. Who could wish for more.
Thanks for responding.

The system is XP Professional and runs windows defender every week. I agree moving to AVG is not my preferred choice and I have never had problems in the past with Avast. However the most recent set of updates seem to have been getting more and more intrusive.

The system has now been running perfect for about 36 hours.

ParanoidParrot

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
Hello

I have this(I think?) problem too.

I couldn't start my PC since June 1st, because my monitor broke.

Anyway, when I bought a new one at the end of June, I updated the program (avast)
Now I have "program version: 7.0.1451", and since then I have strange problems...missing text, errors (that I can't read since ....text is missing"

For example when I tried to open Paint in the middle of the "problem", a error came saying something like "mspaint.exe" is not where is supposed to be. After I restart my pc everything is back to normal (and I can open paint too, :P )

There seem to be others with this problem too:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100457.0

And some years ago, Avira anti-virus has this problem too:
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?p=1344807#post1344807

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ParanoidParrot

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
Ok, I didn't know there was an update available. I will update

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »

The system is XP Professional and runs windows defender every week.
You do not need Windows Defender on XP Professional.

z8000783

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »

The system is XP Professional and runs windows defender every week.
You do not need Windows Defender on XP Professional.
...and?

Looks like I'll stay with AVG for a while yet then or least until a Avast rep makes an appearance.

John
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:20:59 AM by z8000783 »

Offline Mogwai

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:40:08 AM »
System running: Win XP Pro Media Center Edition SP3
Major system failures with "not enough system resources" (even after only 10 minutes after starting PC) and blue screens. Mailer clients bring error about not being able to connect to server because with error message "FETCH - Server meldet Fehler. Die Antwort ist: -ERR concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded" - no program was running, no downloads, no surfing.
Impossible to work properly since the last two versions after "ages" of using avast!