Author Topic: Downloaded/Created zip files scanning  (Read 3912 times)

I-Vladimir

Downloaded/Created zip files scanning
« on: January 04, 2005, 05:48:50 AM »
Hi All,
Is it possible to turn the scanning of downloaded/created zip files in the Avast Home on.
I tried this approach (to edit default tasks file \Alwil Software\Avast4\DefTasks.xml )
<STANDARD--ScanPackers>EXE;ZIP;MIME;RAR;ARJ;TAR;GZ;CAB;ARC;ACE;ZOO;BZIP2;WinExec</STANDARD--ScanPackers>
but it doesn't work, Avast reported an xml parse error in the log and removed the tag.

Thanks in advance,

Vladimir

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Downloaded/Created zip files scanning
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:40:07 AM »
I guess they removed the function in 4.5 since its meant to be available in avast! Professional only.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 09:45:50 AM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think there was anything changed about it.
Are you sure you changed the file correctly? (The "XML parse" error sounds like there's a tag missing, or something like that).

(I don't think turning on the scanning of archives like ZIP, RAR, etc. in Standard Shield is a good idea though).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:57:37 AM »
Vladimir, if you browse the FAQ on my signature you will find more information about deftasks.xml and the possibility of configuration.
Anyway, each program update will 'overwrite' your settings in Home version and you will need to do them again...  :-\
Only in Professional version this could be done easily  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 12:03:22 PM »
After you edit the file, open it in IE to make sure you didn't make a typo. If the file is OK, IE will render its contents. Otherwise, it will warn you about a syntax error...

XML is quite strict about the consistency of all the tags (unlike html)

BTW did you copy the line to the correct location in the file? It should basically follow the other line that starts with <STANDARD--...

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 12:04:33 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

I-Vladimir

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 03:25:09 PM »
XML is quite strict about the consistency of all the tags (unlike html)
Actually I understnand a bit in xml, sure I checked the tag, even spell checked it using HtmlTidy, it contains an option to check xml  ;)
Also I tried to add the tag twice: right after another STANDARD tag (as suggested) and as the first tag in the "packers area" before <OUTLOOK--ScanPackers> tag. No success, but this is not very imprtant for me. The most beautiful I made it to work silently, without any intervention and without any resource degradation. Turned the ball spinning off and Avast now only about 20M in memory, that in comparison with other AV's say not bad, I know just one with less memory consumption.

Thanks for your answers guys,

Vladimir