Author Topic: ARE WE UNDER ATTACK ?  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
ARE WE UNDER ATTACK ?
« on: January 04, 2005, 08:09:10 AM »
 >:( Whenever I visit the forum I get a lot more pop ups from ZoneAlarm than other sites ; about weird sites that I've never heard of wanting cookies . I was just thinking as this is a Anti-Virus website if people target us more as a kind of challenge.  Anybody else notice the traffic  ??? .

watchthisspace

Re:ARE WE UNDER ATTACK ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 08:11:16 AM »
Are you using the pro version or free version of Zonealarm?
And what does the pop-ups say?

galooma

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »
more importantly are you browsing with int exp or some other browser?

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:52:16 AM »
watchthisspace :
Are you using the pro version or free version of Zonealarm?
And what does the pop-ups say?

Yes , I'm using The Pro / 15 day , free trial version . The popup's ; (I'm not at "my "computer  at moment ); just say blocked COOKIE, AD'S , all the things that are enabled as being blocked  but are from sites other than here. So not knowing who they are I Block Persistent and third party cookies and advertisements. So I'm constantly enabling options as a response to the privacy popup thingy (  ;D ) , to sites I don't know. Then I just ignore it,  as i'd be at it constantly. The point being the amount of cookies trying to be collected.
ginblossom :
more importantly are you browsing with int exp or some other browser?

I'm using IE 6 .
Thanks,
Tony.

galooma

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:41:19 AM »
you will find there is a trend away from I E as it becomes/continues to be the target of most malicious minds. could i suggest an alternative,  maybe firefox or opera perhaps both free of course

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 02:04:35 PM »
This forum does not generate traffic other than the threads/posts you read and the avatars that people use. The only cookie you can get is when you mark "remember me" when you login.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 02:16:02 PM »
Any cookies that you get are designed to help you view the threads that you haven't read since your last visit, so all threads after the date/time of your last visit will be flagged as new/unread.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »
Nope, that is stored in the database. No cookies are used for that.

I know, I have ran Yabb myself for a short period. But I wasn't content with the options it gave me. So now I use SMF.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:24:07 PM by Eddy »

inthewildteam

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 03:28:41 PM »
@ Abraxas

ZA might be reporting links from this site to others such as Photobucket or other hosting services for members avatars etc. as your browser tries to load all the page contents.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
Re: ARE WE UNDER ATTACK ?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 08:00:51 AM »
 :) Hey, thanks everyone for your responses.
The Reason for my Dramatic Thread title has come to light. I had a security hole caused by a program Regwiz. I've fixed the prob, and the all's fine. At the time this happened I was Here so I presumed the worst ; that it's not safe at the forum. Yep, silly statement. Probably the safest site to be at.  ;D
 ginblossom ; yeh I think that I E 6 is not a good idea and will probably change to Firefox in the near future. Thankyou for your message ! :)
 Eddy ; thanks, you seem to be omnipresent,  ;D :
This forum does not generate traffic other than the threads/posts you read and the avatars that people use. The only cookie you can get is when you mark "remember me" when you login.

As I would have thought. ;)

inthewildteam :

@ Abraxas

ZA might be reporting links from this site to others such as Photobucket or other hosting services for members avatars etc. as your browser tries to load all the page contents.

You are correct Sir, and thanks for your time.
 The security hole caused by regwiz ???,  plus I'm new to ZoneAlarm,  caused a panic, which was warranted, as I was looking at a total system failure. A utility called "BigFix" saved the day, and alerted and repaired the security hole, plus what caused it.
 The "Pinger's", must be having a festive season jamboree, as I've just repaired My Ex's and son's System, which had been attacked viciously by; win32:Mopy[wrm] & CRACK.EXE.
 Avast! saved the day , with a boot time scan , deleting around 40,000 infected files ! ;D
Installed ZA , spywareguard , spywareblaster , after cleaning
this insidious virus.
The upside was that My son (11 years) has finally conceded that these programs are necessary. Best not to get infected in the first place, right!  ;)
 So full on Virus Fighting now for 2 days running. I'm gonna take a break and watch t.v. for a change,  Phew !!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »
Glad that you have now resolved your problem, better yet that you have let us know the problem, I'm sure it will help others in the future.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:15:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:38:23 PM »
The Utility  program which identified the problem is BigFix. I found it as I was checking out freeware stuff and thought I'd give it a try. It seems to do a good job. A google search will locate it . I'm still testing, but I have to say it was there when needed. I was thinking of deleting it..., as it didn't seem to be very active. Glad I hung onto it, as it was a life saver on this ocassion .This is it's report:

At 07:15:48 +1100 - Fixlet Central (http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/fixletcentral)
   Relevant - SECURITY: RegWiz Opens Security Hole (fixlet:349)
At 07:16:31 +1100 - Fixlet Central (http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/fixletcentral)
   Read - SECURITY: RegWiz Opens Security Hole (fixlet:349)
At 07:16:57 +1100 - Fixlet Central (http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/fixletcentral)
   run regsvr32 -s -u C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regwizc.dll (fixlet 349)
At 07:16:59 +1100 - Fixlet Central (http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/fixletcentral)
   Fixed - SECURITY: RegWiz Opens Security Hole (fixlet:349)

Without " BigFix" telling me RegWiz was causing a security Hole , I probably would have spent ages trying to figure what was going on.