Author Topic: virus identity???  (Read 16912 times)

native1

virus identity???
« on: August 29, 2003, 11:38:38 AM »
Hi, I am one of the uninitiated on viruses and new at this, I downloaded the free software and since then have contacted a virus or worm and cannot find the type or name. :-[ I experience loss of mouse functions, keyboard loss, cannot write letters and numerals etc., programs will open and close. It will affect the computer whether I am on the internet or not. When on the internet it will close the URL that I am logged onto, open and close IE and Outlook Express and when the mouse does work it will jump all over the screen opening windows programs which are on the destop, as well as try to change the desktop features, such as screensaver properties, windows styles etc. ???
I experience this as soon as I log on and cannot run the avast scanner on occasion, but if I can get it open and checking, it detects nothing as a virus or worm, and no corrupted files. :-\ Any help on this or if someone has experienced it will be very much appreciated.
Some things that I have done was to run a virus removal tool for the nimda viruses, both type A and E and their varients but that too came up negative. Please help, I miss my computer and want to get up and running again. :( Thank you, Native1

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:virus identity???
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 11:52:53 AM »
What windowsversion do you use? Scan your computer with avast in safe mode, that should be possible.

If you want you can post the files which will load at windowsstartup, by using this Programm:  http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/startuplist.zip

Or try a second (Online)scanner:  http://www.rokop-security.de/main/onlinescan.php
MfG Ralf

native1

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 12:21:42 PM »
Thank you for the quick reply, I will try those two suggestions tomorrow and get back to you all with the results if any. I appreciate the input, it is a good beginning. Native1

native1

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2003, 01:30:23 AM »
Hello again, I copied the startup files and will send them with this message. I booted up in safe mode and the computer still displayed the same characteristics, lack of mouse control, i.e. jumping all over the screen and opening and closing programs, not able to access internet, IE kept closing, so was unable to try the online scanner, and then lack of input via the keyboard, and finally the computer locking up. Any way here is the files that will be attached, hope this adds some light on the matter. Native1

native1

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 01:34:18 AM »
OOPPS!! :o I forgot, the operating system is a windows ME, I utilize a satellite connection to the internet.

whocares

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 01:45:17 AM »
Hi,

a) try AV-Boot-Disks, e.g.  from www.fprot.org/fr_boot.htm or similar f-secure/F-prot pages

b) if an AV-Bootscan doesn't reveal viruses, this sounds more like hardware error..
could be RAM; harddisk, motherboard, graphics-card, powerunit etc..
Try googleing for RAM-tests and
Harddisk diagnosis tools from your harddisk vendor

Please describe your hardware as detailed as possible for further analysis
  ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 01:52:29 AM by whocares »

whocares

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2003, 01:55:34 AM »
P.S.: What are all these GILAT-things in your startup ?

google for your startup entries/filenames, to check whether they are really necessary.. or even malicious ...

looks a bit overloaded

native1

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 08:55:05 AM »
hello, some specifics...Gilat is the software drivers for the satellite connection, which is Starband. The system is a 900 mhz, Intel motherboard 7ZX series,  with an AMD Athlon CPU, 40GB HD, 128 MB Ram, DVD, CDRW, 3.5 Floppy, Planar LCD Monitor. The operating system is a Millenium Edition version of Windows. As stated earlier, I am new at this part of the internet, dealing with viruses, so you will have to explain what might be a simple process. I don't have the faintest idea what it is to Google, and what is an AV-Bootscan and how is this accomplished. I really will probably need to be walked through some of these procedures in order to accomplish all of the checks to resolve my problems, so please bear with me and show patience, I will work diligently to do my part. :) Thanks Native1

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2003, 09:23:31 AM »
Did you ever clean your mouse? Or do you have the possibility to test a other mouse?

Like "who", i do not think of malware or Joke Programm, more that it could be a hardware failure.
MfG Ralf

native1

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 09:40:10 AM »
Hi, yes, I did clean the mouse, and it will jump to different parts of the desktop and open and close programs, the keyboard will cease functioning also, unable to write in text in any entry on the browser, so unable to go to specific sites. When I log onto a site I will be suddenly booted from the internet, IE will close and I will be disconnected from the site. Eventually the cursor will not move and the monitor will freeze up, I will be unable to even use CTRL - ALT - DEL to reboot or turn off the computer, I will have to do it manually by shutting down all power.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2003, 10:23:27 AM »
What happens if you start with the mouse withdrown?
MfG Ralf

native1

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 11:14:49 AM »
Tried to log on without the mouse connected, no luck... :( I am now unable to log on at all, the mouse and keyboard are non functional upon bootup, so I cannot even open any of the programs on my desktop, including the virus checker, or close the msn messenger. The keyboard doesn't function to even let me enter in safe mode, the ctrl key doesn't register upon boot up and therefore I cannot enter safe mode. Was there anything in the startup files that could give a hint to the problem

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 11:21:59 AM »
Sound  definitly for a hardwarefailure to me and i do not really see any special on your Startuplist.

MfG Ralf

native1

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2003, 11:33:45 AM »
would a hardware problem get progressively worse, starting with the mouse locking up, then the opening of different programs and even the desktop features, and finally on to the keyboard??? and finally to the point of not even logging onto my computer???

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2003, 11:49:16 AM »
Yes, i had the same problem with a  damaged Motherboard. I chanced everything the Keyboard, the memory,  the mouse, the graphikcard and the strange thing was that it seemed to work after made some changes. But one week later  the computer not even wants to start.
MfG Ralf