Author Topic: virus identity???  (Read 16916 times)

native1

Re:virus identity???
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2003, 11:13:58 PM »
Hello, well, it doesn't sound good to hear it might be hardware.  :( Is there anyone else out there that can confirm with similar symptoms or that might have the same thing happening to their computer. I want to hold out hope that something can be done with just software changes, deletions, modifications. :-\ I will keep checking back for other ideas. If it is hardware, I would like to have some opinions as to what hardware might be affected, and how the hardware problem can affect the software functioning. Keep the ideas coming, please

native1

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2003, 08:53:22 AM »
Hello, I managed to get the computer logged on in safe mode and was able to restore to an earlier date, 2 weeks ago and now everything is working fine, but it begs the question, what virus could have caused all the havoc in the first place, it doesn't appear to be hardware, more a glitch in the software, operating system, IE, or Outlook Express. let me know what you think of the latest developments. Thanks

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2003, 08:58:55 AM »
First of all, good that your PC is working again.
I was wrong with the hardwareerror suggestion, but i still do not think it was Malware related, more Windows related! ;)
MfG Ralf

native1

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2003, 09:50:20 AM »
Okay, now where do I go ??? I have downloaded all the upgrades that windows required, and still seem to have the problem, I had the mouse and keyboard lock up and was unable to exit from the web browser or reboot when that happened, it seems to be starting again. Appreciate all the time and ideas coming from you and who, hope that there might be others logged on that may have experienced this, later, keep the ideas coming.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2003, 10:05:45 AM »
Maybe i was not wrong with my Hardware suggestion!  :D

Sorry to say that, but it is difficult to say, because we didnĀ“t sit infront your PC and all we can do is guessing...
MfG Ralf

whocares

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2003, 12:01:55 PM »
Hi,

some advice:

- make a backup of your important data as soon as possible !!!!!!

- if the errors keep occurring:
-> try RAM-Test-Tools and Harddrive-TestTools, those errors are imho easiest to find for the layman. you might also remove some RAM-Modules, if you have more than one, or shift them around on your board (do this in pairs, if you have older/paired memory modules..)

replace parts (RAM, Grafixcard, harddisk etc..) if you have some spare/older parts (those should be verified to be working on some other PC, of course..)

-monitor the temperature of CPU/System and the fan speed(s); check that the fans are running smoothly

without some diagnosis on your part,  I can't advise you more..

-maybe also try a complete fresh reinstall of WIN (of course, backup first!!):
this includes deleting all partitions (e.g. with fdisk) and making new ones:
better split  harddisk in
C: System  &
D: Daten

;) ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:04:57 PM by whocares »

whocares

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2003, 12:08:47 PM »
what happens if you only run the PC in SafeMode (F8-Boot) for a  short or long period of time ?
similar/any errors then, too ?

what does scandisk after booting from a Bootdisk say ?