Author Topic: Skin Won't Load Error  (Read 7432 times)

jonzsie

Skin Won't Load Error
« on: January 13, 2005, 01:12:40 PM »
I went to start avast and it did the memory scan then I got an error message saying UNKNOWN ERROR application cannot load skin "usiGet Skin" failed. So I reinstalled it and it worked fine twice. Now I have the same message back and it won't load.

I have Avast 4.5 home edition

Can someone please help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Skin Won't Load Error
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 01:14:33 PM »
A lot already has been said about this. Use the search option on this board. keyword=usigetskin

Gillie2tat

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
OK but there isn't a solution yet so we need more info for the Alwil programmers.

Can you post your operating system and version, computer chip type (e.g. Athlon, Celeron or Intel Pentium), RAM, mhz speed and firewall type please.  Also if you are using XP whether you have Service Pack 2.  And is your computer pre-installed?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 01:50:35 PM by Gillie2tat »

jonzsie

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 02:03:34 PM »
Sorry I should have browsed the earlier posts.

I have a Hewlett Packard PC pre-installed XP home Edition with service pack 2.
Intel (R) Celeron (TM) cpu. 1200 MHz and 256 b ram.  And I'm running sygate firewall....don't have the windows firewall enabled.

thanks

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 02:28:41 PM »
So, my theory becomes something to think about... all those systems have preinstalled version of Windows. Take a look in here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10092.0

Why not joining that thread and not create multiple posts with same topic. It will just make more job for moderators and confuse Alwil staff.

Read what I said in that thread... somewhere from page 4...  ;)

Vlk, pk, Igor, somebody has any clue ?

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 02:30:31 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Gillie2tat

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:37:35 PM »
And two that we know of are Celerons with 256 MB RAM and very fast CPUs both with XP and Service Pack 2.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:38:45 PM »
I don't understand what could be so special about those preinstalled Windows, making the installation of ActiveSkin OCX fail... ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 02:41:29 PM »
Me neither, but I do know many of the preinstalled Windows XP versions do have problems if you try to run a 16bit (DOS) application. And that shouldn't happen either. So you never know, untill we find out what is causing the problem with the ocx.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 02:46:22 PM »
Sorry zeus's computer has 248 MB RAM but that's not far away from the one in this strand.

Also, from the checking of the On Access Protection Control on zeus's computer it would appear that Avast is working, it's just that it won't load the skin and therefore it's impossible to run a scan or access the menus.  zeus did say he/she had reports of 6 viruses in the Standard Shield information.

jonzsie

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 12:53:07 AM »
I also had 2 virus alerts which told me to put them in the vault which I did but couldn't check to see if they were there etc. When I reinstalled Avast for the 3rd time I also had a problem with the vault saying it had loaded with errors.

I did what was suggested earlier and went to control panel to repair the application and rebooted and it is now working again. Also did an online virus scan to make sure I had no virus's. It was working before but just suddenly the skin wouldn't load.

jonzsie

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 12:34:10 AM »
The problem has come back...won't load again.

jonzsie

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 01:13:53 AM »
Tried another suggestion run in an earlier post run C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX

And the skin ahs loaded, hopefully this has fixed it.

thanks for the info.