Author Topic: Can someone explain this to me(about sandbox)  (Read 16104 times)

vsub

Can someone explain this to me(about sandbox)
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
Doing thorough scan by settings avast to be as paranoid as possible doesn't get any results(that I have some  virus,spyware and so on)

But when I enable the sandbox feature,avast start to suspect almost everything,even programs that I use for more than 3 years on which avast never say anything about them when I start them with sandbox feature disabled.
I have to add almost every program that I use to the exclude list...the sandbox feature is mostly annoying than actually of any use(at least to me)

All shield are set to be as paranoid as possible

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Re: Can someone explain this to me(about sandbox)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
Autosandbox covers files which are not enough to raise alerts by normal scan but seems suspicious, so this behavior is normal.
However "suspect almost everything" is a bit strange, isn't your software your original, or stored on removable media?
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

vsub

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Autosandbox covers files which are not enough to raise alerts by normal scan but seems suspicious, so this behavior is normal.
Like I said,I'm not doing "normal" scan,I'm doing as thorough as possible scan...boot time scan also don't say that I have a malware
However "suspect almost everything" is a bit strange, isn't your software your original, or stored on removable media?

Not sure what you mean,all of the programs are in the Program Files folder.

Sometimes the sandbox don't don't say anything about some program while starting it,other time without changing anything the sandbox suspect it

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Like I said,I'm not doing "normal" scan,I'm doing as thorough as possible scan...boot time scan also don't say that I have a malware
Did you change the Avast settings from default?  Are you doing a Custom scan?

vsub

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
Did you change the Avast settings from default?  Are you doing a Custom scan?
Yes almost all of the avast settings are changed for maximum protection(except to test whole file and all type of packers from the real time file shield...that will overkill)

I'm using the "Scan from Windows Explorer" and that option is set to
Scan - Scan All Files
Sensitivity - High,code emulation,test the whole file,pup,follow links
Packers - All Packers
Actions - All actions are set to Repair=>Move to Chest=>No Action
Performance - Scan Priority set to High  and both options below disabled
And nothing is excluded.

As you can see,there is nothing else that can be enabled for even better scan.

The boot time scan is set to scan all drives,high sensitivity,scan for pup and to unpack archives.

After all that,still nothing but the sandbox continue to suspect my programs

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
I'm going to let others comment.  I think you're settings are too high.  Remember, Avast is scanning and working in the background all the time.  Most users do a Quick scan weekly, and a Full scan monthly or every few weeks, with a Boot scan only if a problems occurs.  But everyone's machine is different and user's have their own preference.

Refresh my memory, what other security software do you have (on-demand and resident)?

So I will let others comment on what they think of your settings.

vsub

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
It's not that high,the PC still work fine(fast)...I'm using it that way since I started to use avast(since 4.?).

I'm not doing weekly\monthly scans because I know what I'm doing on the pc...if I have a malware of some kind,there is no way I wouldn't notest if the pc is working even tinny bit different.
I know every single file that is autostarted with the windows for what it is

I use only avast for protection...and the windows firewall(if you call that protection).
The browsing protection mostly comes from the FF add-on NoScripts and some other system modification...can't remember when was the last time my pc was infected with something
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:25:52 PM by vsub »

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
How about adding MBAM?  What is your OS?  I'm sorry for asking, but I help so many that I don't remember.

It would also help to add your Profile to your Signature, that way people like me won't have to ask.  :-[

vsub

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
I've never used such programs and I don't like installing programs that I don't really need.

I'm using Windows XP SP2
FF13 with tons of add-ons,and a lot of settings for protection.
Windows Firewall
I also have CCleaner but that program is useless or I just don't have the problems that program is searching for...I don't save browser cache to the hdd so my protection is increased.

About the signature...don't know what should I write there :p,I don't really care about those so I rarely use them in any forum

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Everyone has their own opinion, and you already know mine from our previous thread, and I respect yours.  I'm due to sign off now, but I'm sure someone else will be along to assist you.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
I'm using Windows XP SP2

32 bit..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vsub

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
Yes 32bit

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

vsub

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »
Just curious...what exactly that have to do with how sandbox should suspecting programs if as thorough as possible scan don't find anything

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
You find some sandbox info in avast blog....

You say you know every file in your comp......so why do you sett avast to paranoia level