Author Topic: Can someone explain this to me(about sandbox)  (Read 16097 times)

SafeSurf

Re: Can someone explain this to me(about sandbox)
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
I have discussed the issue of upgrading the OP's OS in a previous thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100457.0 but he wanted to stay with SP2.  That is why I made my comment earlier in this thread because I knew his opinion.  I agree with what everyone else is saying here -> the OP is more vulnerable to malware with an outdated OS and should update it...but it is his machine.  However I also do not understand why he wants his other settings set to paranoid level with an outdated OS either. 

vsub, we help many users and it seems to all of us trying to help you that it is more important to upgrade your OS at this point.  You might want to consider this.  We are just trying to help you.

vsub

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
However I also do not understand why he wants his other settings set to paranoid level with an outdated OS either.
And I don't understand that thinking too.
Why shouldn't I set all settings on such level,why they exist if you don't need them if you have the newest SP.
Are you saying that I should lower the protection avast is giving me if I install the SP3...with that thinking,why do I need antivirus software.

Since I'm using outdated OS,I should be enabling all settings,not the other way around.

I won't be using the sandbox anyway...it's slowing down starting of the programs way too much(along with suspecting everything at random)

SafeSurf

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:59 PM »
Like I politely said before in the other thread, this is your machine and you can do what ever you wish to do with it that you want.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
However I also do not understand why he wants his other settings set to paranoid level with an outdated OS either.
And I don't understand that thinking too.
Why shouldn't I set all settings on such level,why they exist if you don't need them if you have the newest SP.
Are you saying that I should lower the protection avast is giving me if I install the SP3...with that thinking,why do I need antivirus software.

Since I'm using outdated OS,I should be enabling all settings,not the other way around.

I won't be using the sandbox anyway...it's slowing down starting of the programs way too much(along with suspecting everything at random)

First, I can understand a person that knows that they are running a highly vulnerable OS would want to go to extreme measures to protect it.  IOW, I can see your point about the high settings in Avast.  However, setting them all to paranoid will also potentially cause more false positives (as it would with most AVs), and as there is some interaction between shields may cause the AutoSandbox to be far more active.

Running an extremely vulnerable OS leads to the logic (rightly so) of needing extreme protection, which leads to more alerts and blocking of programs running.  It's a downward spiral.

However, as SafeSurf said, it is your system.  You can do as you wish, and it won't affect the rest of us in the least.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
I would also suggest the OP does the update to XP SP3 .. the only time this can be an issue
is with some older computers running an AMD CPU .. the benefits of SP3 and the fact that
Microsoft will be ending support for XP are reasons enough to be up to the latest security patches.
I also run XP Pro on my computer and it is fully up to date.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578