Author Topic: AVASTPE VPS file update  (Read 19875 times)

DTM

AVASTPE VPS file update
« on: January 04, 2005, 11:17:44 PM »
Can someone tell me what VPS file you are supposed to download to have an updated Virus definition?  I know this sounds like a simple question but we are currently trying out BART in our company and cannot figure this out.  Thanks in advance.

DTM

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: AVASTPE VPS file update
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 11:19:48 PM »
Can someone tell me what VPS file you are supposed to download to have an updated Virus definition?
The latest one ofcourse... Unless you don't want it to detect the latest malware that was added to the newest vps ;)

DTM

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 11:29:45 PM »
What I needed clarification on was the actual VPS version for example the updated VPS for Avast 4 is an EXE, what I am looking for is the .vps file that I can supply on a floppy or network drive for up to date scanning.  I cannot seem to find the right one to download.  TIA

DTM

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »
the updated VPS for Avast 4 is an EXE
No it is not, that is the installer of the latest vps.

Please read the manual on B.A.R.T to see how to use the latest vps with the BART cd.

DTM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:44:48 PM »
Where is the manual?  I only have the Trial and the only option is to build a new CD, so if you could direct me to right location it would be greatly appreciated instead of being cryptic, TIA.

DTM

I also just double checked and the only options are to connect and get the updated files, but upon the launch of AvastPE it stated that you can use the updated vps from a floppy and this is what I am asking.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 11:51:07 PM by DTM »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 12:08:47 AM »
You can use this link: http://files.avast.com/files/latest/400.vps

But ideally, you should always use the BART CD Manager and burn a new CD (a rewritable medium is optimal) because not only VPS but other bits can be updated as well...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

DTM

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 12:19:16 AM »
Thank you for that, we are currently looking for the single license and this will be a good failsafe if something goes awry.  Again I greatly appreciate your time!

DTM

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 01:08:46 AM »
You can use this link: http://files.avast.com/files/latest/400.vps

Vlk, is this the same as vpsupd.exe without the installer?
Is it just to copy & paste into Data folder?
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 08:42:30 AM »
Generally no, this is suitable only for the Linux version and BART. The reason is that if you copied the file to avast Home/Pro manually (to the data folder), the reload would not happen automatically. Morover, the avast setup (updater)  would detect it as an unauthorized file and replace it with the last installed version...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 03:27:30 PM »
The reason is that if you copied the file to avast Home/Pro manually (to the data folder), the reload would not happen automatically.

Will a boot solve it/

Morover, the avast setup (updater)  would detect it as an unauthorized file and replace it with the last installed version...

So, must have a backup of the signatures in another file, otherwise, copy & paste will replace the file and avast won't come back to the original situation. If the user is on-line, the updater - I think - will download the new vps file...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 03:46:44 PM »
The reason is that if you copied the file to avast Home/Pro manually (to the data folder), the reload would not happen automatically.

Will a boot solve it?

I probably will - but only until point (2) applies.

Morover, the avast setup (updater)  would detect it as an unauthorized file and replace it with the last installed version...

So, must have a backup of the signatures in another file, otherwise, copy & paste will replace the file and avast won't come back to the original situation. If the user is on-line, the updater - I think - will download the new vps file...

Well, if the user is on-line, there's no need to download the whole VPS file or run the standalone updater.
Otherwise - yes, avast! has kind of a backup of its files; it uses it to repair the installation, and also to generate the differences for incremental updates.