Author Topic: Blue Screen When Installing uRexsoft uRex Video Converter  (Read 1782 times)

AtlBo

Blue Screen When Installing uRexsoft uRex Video Converter
« on: July 10, 2012, 08:01:41 AM »
Ran into a blue screen a few minutes ago while attempting to install uRex Video Converter.  The machine executed a full memory dump.  I attached a picture of the BlueScreenView details of the crash, which were attributed to Avast.  This comes on the heels of a 3 day period where I experienced about 3 blue screens a day over periods of 2-4 hours use each day.  These were attributed to Windows, but I have read in the forums of some problems associated with update 7.0.1451, and I noticed that 1456 addressed blue screen errors.  1456 seems to have fixed the problem for me.  Well, I thought it had fixed them all on this machine until this episode.

I think I know what the problem could be with this latest blue screen.  When I opened the installer to install uRex, Avast usually opens the sandbox interface while it examines the installer.  In this case, it didn't open with the machine instead perhaps reading that something was trying to cut off the anti-virus for some reason...then came the blue screen.  At any rate, the sandbox did not open, and the blue screen appeared instead.  I know uRex is clean.  I am certain, it didn't cause the blue screen.

Once the dump was finished, I was able to install the program without a problem, but it would seem there is some instability in Avast 7, based on the blue screens I've been having.  I don't know enough to say what could have caused the run of them before this one, but I would say this one appears to have something to do with Avast, given that the Avast driver was the cause of the dump.  There is pretty compelling evidence, however, that Avast could have had something to do with the previous blue screens I experienced, too, since, subsequent to update 1456, I have had only this one episode, which was attributed to a different driver than those.  Also, for the previous blue screens, the 1456 update improvements list seemed to me to be confirming that the Avast team was aware of some specific blue screens associated with 1451.  Those went away for me with 1456, so it appears a relatively safe assumption that the problem was Avast for those, also.  For this latest one,  the Avast Virtualization Driver was definitely at the heart of the blue screen.

Thanks to the Avast team for a superior product.  I just thought I should bring this up given the troubles I experienced with build 1451...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:23:09 PM by AtlBo »

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Blue Screen When Installing uRexsoft uRex Video Converter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
Send supportpackage(log,minidump/fulldump files) to Avast via FTP server.

FTP Client=FileZilla=http://filehippo.com/download_filezilla/

Code: [Select]
ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:15:15 AM by JuninhoSlo »