Author Topic: ALL my Win7 64bit computers CRASH after Avast7 FREE Upgrade.  (Read 12651 times)

lizgraphix

Re: ALL my Win7 64bit computers CRASH after Avast7 FREE Upgrade.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:03 PM »
Thanks Asyn!  Going back to 7.0.1426 (legacy version) works ... for now.  Clearly there is a bug with the new version as I can get the same repeated results trying to install on my Win7 64 bit systems.  As I have mentioned, I am not alone. This is getting posted on the internet in other forums.

As for Igor ... you're the only one who is offering any helpful advice so far ... which I am grateful for.   ;D

~ Lizzy

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Pishaw

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »
It's Win 7 x64 specific, liz. It doesn't affect everyone, and it's not always the same problem, but there does seem to be a problem with 7 x64. On my dual boot machine, Win 8 is fine, but 7 had boot problems with v. 7.0.1456 Free. Once I uninstalled Avast everything was fine. (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101081.0)

I'm kinda upset about it. I feel betrayed. I hope they figure it out, but from the comments I've read, the question everyone seems to be asking is "what have you done wrong?". There is nothing more infuriating than that.

VandenBerg

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
Funny  >:( I have a W7/64 bit machine that upgraded like a charm.
It is my XP Pro SP3 that gives trouble.

patricio8888

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
A bit off subject. I'm sorry to say. I bought a 2-yr Avast for our two computers after initially having had the Free version. At the time, I had and used a different email address. After that address was hacked, I changed it. My 2 yr contract goes until June of 2014. I need to know how to contact Avast and get the new email address connected to our paid 2 yr contract. No telephone number (the simplest way) appears anywhere I can find. Please help!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
1. I need to know how to contact Avast and get the new email address connected to our paid 2 yr contract.
2. No telephone number (the simplest way) appears anywhere I can find. Please help!

1. Please contact: sales(at)avast.com
2. Here are all your options: http://www.avast.com/contacts
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Baseman

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 02:14:48 AM »
It's Win 7 x64 specific, liz. It doesn't affect everyone, and it's not always the same problem, but there does seem to be a problem with 7 x64. On my dual boot machine, Win 8 is fine, but 7 had boot problems with v. 7.0.1456 Free. Once I uninstalled Avast everything was fine. (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101081.0)

I'm kinda upset about it. I feel betrayed. I hope they figure it out, but from the comments I've read, the question everyone seems to be asking is "what have you done wrong?". There is nothing more infuriating than that.

I had the same issue.

1 desktop, 1 laptop, and 1 HTPC. All 3 running Avast 7 free on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, fully updated. The laptop and HTPC are set to auto-update the definitions, and the program. The desktop is set to auto-update the definitions, but ask before updating the program.

The laptop and the HTPC updated fine, automatically, to version 7.0.1456. After the update, they informed me the system needed to reboot to finish the update process. Both machines rebooted fine and have had no issues. I did not have any settings changed (auto join the avast community/reputation services auto-on) on these 2 machines, as others have mentioned.

The desktop informed me there was program update available to update to 7.0.1456. I chose to let it update. After the update, I was again informed the machine needed to reboot to finish the update process. Upon rebooting, the systems hangs right after the login screen. The cursor spins in a circled, thats it. I waited 30 minutes, powered off, and powered back up.... same thing. After another 30 minutes, I booted to safe mode. I wound up having to un-install Avast, then download the full install, and re-install it, and re-register it. It would not let me import my settings from another system, so I had to go in and re-configure everything also. This machine also had the settings changed to "auto join the avast community, and reputation services to auto-on.

So, evidently, there is a definite problem with the manual update to 7.0.1456, as I have read several people with the same issues.

I wanted to make my situation know, that the auto updates worked fine for me and I had no settings changed..... but the manual update dealt me fits, and I had to completely re-install avast.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:31:44 AM by Baseman »

Pishaw

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:07 AM »
I tried the reinstall, Baseman. No joy. I still had the same problem, although not as severe as you and lizgraphix. Just slow boot. I did see that black screen w/ cursor liz mentioned once or twice, but mine went to the desktop after like 90 seconds. My boot times were maybe 5 minutes, where normally it's less than 60 seconds. But after it did boot, it was all good.

And I've had this problem since before 7.0.1456. It took me so long to figure out because A) I have NEVER had any problem with Avast, B) I have Win 8 on the same machine and it runs great and C) I have a Win 7 x32 that has no problem. For like two weeks I was thinking the dual boot thing was creating voodoo with partition ownership, and I'd end up having to reinstall everything. I'm glad I figured it out, because I really want that $39.95 Win 8 upgrade in the fall.

But not everyone has a problem. The only software I see I have in common with liz is Firefox and Adobe. I have Photoshop CS6.

This is the first time I've had a computer without Avast since version 4. I don't like it.I hope a fix is in the works.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:33:08 AM by Pishaw »