Author Topic: Slow Boot Win 7 x64.  (Read 16614 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Slow Boot Win 7 x64.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »
@ Yoshi2889

+1

I have found that whenever Avast! moves from version 4 to 5, 5 to 6, 6 to 7, a complete removal of the old version is best done before install of the new.  This has resulted in smooth and error-free installs of the new in almost all cases.  Be sure to have access to your license beforehand if paid.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

marziano_mork

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 09:36:53 PM »
Yoshi2889:
'Reputation services' is a new Avast 7 service ( see  'Cloud Services' menu ) .
It definitely slowed down my system.

Yoshi2889

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
Yoshi2889:
'Reputation services' is a new Avast 7 service ( see  'Cloud Services' menu ) .
It definitely slowed down my system.
It doesn't slow down any of my systems at all. I've got four systems running Avast!, none of them suffer from any slowdown.

ram1220

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
OK. Hold on, everyone. I didn't call any of you out by name, and I'm not saying any of the 'Avast Evangelists' were posting insulting comments or advice here. But I've read many of the threads here the last few days, and I have seen it. So have you. The solution to everything can't ALWAYS be uninstall/reinstall/ EVERY time, can it?  C'mon now.

I get how hard this sort of thing is. You've got people that don't have their computers plugged in saying Avast made their screen go black. And they seem to think you did it, on purpose. I understand how difficult it is to deal with the general public, I really do. It is worth pointing out that y'all handle yourselves largely very professionally, more so than the average person would in the same context.

I think you'd have to admit there are more problems than normal with release 7.0.1456. I've seen a couple of threads on the Avast site about the same issue I have, and many more other places. And I see a lot of people having issues with Outlook, for example. Now it's understandable if there was a conflict with, like, Zork. But Outlook? Office is almost universal. If there's a conflict with Outlook, it's a major problem. Right?

Also, I didn't come here with questions. I did my own troubleshoot/bootscan/uninstall/reinstall/troubleshoot some more/uninstall some more before I got here. I figured out what the problem was, and fixed it. I'm OK. I just wanted to post exactly the problem I was having so that A) It was brought to your attention, and B) If anyone was wondering why it took their machine so long to boot lately, they might say "Yo, that's the same thing I have."

At any rate, thank you for your effort. I'll keep checking back for the next update.

Actually I'm going to say it. "Yo, that's the same thing I have." I'm running Windows 7 64bit and my boot time has tripled since upgrading to Avast 7. Like you I did the uninstall/reinstall and it didn't work either. Once my system is fully booted up I don't have any problem with it nor is there any slow down or sluggishness. Only a much longer boot up since installing Avast 7. I will continue to use Avast. Not sure if the problem lies with Avast 7 or with Windows 7 64bit. But I see the problem too. I haven't reported it until now because like your experience nothing suggested in this forum has worked. Good luck.

Bob

rmgweb

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
Hi!

I am facing the same problem: I bought avast Internet Security and now the boot time of my computer is much longer!

I have too Windows 7 - 64 bits (sp 1)

I am thinking in asking for a refund, any suggestions? Thanks!

BlkMage1016

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 02:55:31 AM »
I just want to start off by saying that Avast 7 is what is causing the slow start-up problem that many people are reporting.  Like so many others in this thread, yes, I have already spent way more time than anyone should have to troubleshooting this problem including multiple clean installs.  I have, however, found what the exact issue is within Avast that causes the slow start-up.

The Cause of the Problem:
(short version)
It's  the File System Real-Time Shield, more specifically the "Scan programs when executing" option in its expert settings.  Which means when windows first starts up and is launching all of the start-up programs that Avast feels the need to, and Win7 x64 seems to totally okay with letting it, scan every single one of them, hog a bunch of the HDD I/O in the process, and create a huge bottleneck system.

(long version)
The reason for the 2 minute wait at the welcome screen and the following 3 minute wait on the desktop is because as soon as you submit you password to log into your computer the winlogin.exe process is started, along with several others that are needed to get the desktop environment and other system stuff going.  Avast is apparently already running at this point and the 2 minute wait is that time it is taking it to scan all  of those processes.  It then takes avast the next 3 minute wait to scan all of the others process that run at start-up.  It scans these because of the "Scan programs when executing" option in the expert settings of the File System Real-time Shield.  The long wait is because Avast wants to scan these process the best it can according to the heuristics and settings it has assigned to the File System Real-Time Shield and to meet this demand, it takes a bunch of the disk I/O.  This means that Avast can scan more quickly, but as more disk I/O is taken by Avast, the slower processes get read from the disk and executed.

The Solution:
Well, short of turning the option off every time you shut the computer down and then back on after you start it up or just dealing with the slow start-up, I don't really have one.  Sorry.  While I'd love to say that it's Win7 x64's fault for not having the OS better handle this kind of HDD hogging, it really is the fault of Avast.  I'm hoping, for their sake, that Avast's silence about the issue is because they are working on it and just haven't gotten to a point where they are ready to make a statement about it, and not because they're ignoring it.

Note: Please, if you are booting off of a SSD (HDD RAID setups may also apply to this case), don't post a reply saying that your computer isn't having any slow start-up issues.  When booting from a SSD, at least in my experience, this issue is hardly noticeable since, well, SSD's have way higher transfer rates.  And if you are running Win7 x64 off of a non-RAID HDD setup and you aren't having slow start-up issues, it would be very helpful if you gave your system specs and/or a list of either common software that's not installed on your computer or uncommon software that is installed, as this will help narrow down what Avast is conflicting with.

gillest

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
turning the option "Scan programs when executing" did not work for me. Still getting long boot times. I may need to deinstall/reinstall as this seems to be the only way to fix many issues with Avast 7.0.1466

gillest

Re: Slow Boot Win 7 x64. (resolved with 7.0.1473)
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 01:08:10 PM »
Just to report that since I have installed .1473 from the Gui update I no longer experience the slow boot mentioned in this thread. Hopefully it will remain like this in the future (I had .1466 working ok for a while until this issue suddenly  appeared).