Author Topic: Error on avast (not starting as service)  (Read 9714 times)

atlaz

Error on avast (not starting as service)
« on: January 05, 2005, 07:51:07 AM »
Hello and greetings from Finland.

I just changed my admin password on windows 2003 server, standard edition (running avast home on it)
and after rebooting my windows says "atleast one service failed to start during boot" etc.
When my desktop had loaded, avast has an red circle in the left lower-corner.
When clicking on the on-access protection center i get an "AAVM subsystem detected an RPC error".
When i browse through my event viewer on windows, i find the following under "system".

"Error - The avast! Antivirus service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure."

I believe this is in direct conflict with the system becouse i changed my admin password.

Any suggestions or direct fixes to this problem :)

Greets. Petter Lillhonga

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Error on avast (not starting as service)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 09:35:10 AM »
How did you manage to install avast! Home on Windows 2003?
avast! Home and Professional editions cannot be installed on server operating systems (that's what avast! Server is intended for).

atlaz

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »
The reason why i installed the home-edition on my server is becouse the home edition is sufficient enough for the use. I use my home server  as an file-server, developer-webserver and workstation. The only reason why it's an windows 2003 server edition(and not winXP), is becouse i had one lying around from my .net developerskit.
Therefore i have no need for exhange server plugins  or S Proxy/ISA Server plugin.

And btw, the install went through just regulary, it didn't give me any messages about not beeing capable of installing itself on a server 2003

Greets. Petter Lillhonga

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 11:27:55 AM »
As stated on the Avast website:

This product cannot be installed on a server operating system (Windows NT/2000/2003 Server families).

If you run a server OS, you must use a av that is suitable to run on a server. This is not just Avast, but goes for all av's.

atlaz

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 11:34:00 AM »

If you run a server OS, you must use a av that is suitable to run on a server. This is not just Avast, but goes for all av's.

Dumdidum. Now we then know what we shouldn't do, but did anyhow.

But, i wonder why it let itself install on my server2003 without argueing, and i still wonder what gives that error. Shouldn't this error also occur on winXP Pro when changing admin password, avast is starting up as a service on XP too, isn't it ? (correct me if i am wrong).

Greets Petter Lillhonga

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 11:37:14 AM »
FYI, I just checked on a XP (pro) system. Changed the admin pw, rebooted etc etc....
And Avast keeps working without a problem and without changing anything in Avast's settings.

atlaz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 11:41:57 AM »
The security and encrypting in a serverbased windows, thou it's based on the same system as XP, must be different then.
Oh well, gotta start searching for another solution

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 11:44:51 AM »
Forgot to mention it in my previous post, but maybe Igor (or someone else from alwil) can give you more details about this. Give him (them) a little time to respond, although it may not solve your problem... It may give you usefull information.

Take care and all the best for 2005.

atlaz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 11:46:48 AM »
Umm.. i just noticed i had installed avast server :o From where in the program can i check that to be sure, about avast gives nothing usefull info for my eyes.

I have avast! 4 Server/SBS Edition installed on the machine, not home version.
But is the SBS edition sufficient for my standard edition server ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:51:01 AM by atlaz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 11:51:52 AM »

I do not understand... First you say you have the Home version, now the Server Edition  ::) ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:54:08 AM »
I'm not familiar with the server edition, but in my about box it says "avast! version 4.5 professional" right at the top of the info. I guess (don't take my word for it) something simulair should show up in your about box.

Looking at your problem and my experience with other versions of avast than the server edition, I would say try a repair of Avast. (start > control panel > add/remove > Avast > change/delete > repair)

But as I said, I am not familiar with the server edition so I advise you to wait for one of the Alwil team members to respond here and from there on follow their instructions/suggestions.

atlaz

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 11:58:18 AM »

I do not understand... First you say you have the Home version, now the Server Edition  ::) ???

Had a too little coffe in the morning :P

No, but seriously, i was going to install the home version (becouse its free) but it seems i changed my mind and installed the server edition with trial key. I was going to un-install the home version (which i hadn't even installed) and noticed that it was the server version. And now I seem like a complete newbie ;-)

atlaz

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 12:00:45 PM »

Looking at your problem and my experience with other versions of avast than the server edition, I would say try a repair of Avast. (start > control panel > add/remove > Avast > change/delete > repair)

Repairing didn't do it.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 02:23:23 PM »
atlaz
Maybe you should repost your question in the avst4! Server Addition Forum where you'll get help
from people who are familiar with that version of avast!.
Just a suggestion. ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

atlaz

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »
atlaz
Maybe you should repost your question in the avst4! Server Addition Forum where you'll get help
from people who are familiar with that version of avast!.
Just a suggestion. ;D

I was kinda hoping a moderator would transfer the whole thread. But then again, if i repost, i don't have to be so embarrassed :P