Author Topic: Windows 7 hangs when using lasted version of avast 7 free Fix please  (Read 17151 times)

Diddy

HI I am still having an issue with Avast antivirus 7 lasted version on Windows 7 32 Bit system.  Yesterday when I would start the computer and it would boot up fine no problem what so ever except when it came up to the welcome screen then it would run for about five minutes and then the computer would try to go to the desktop.  But then the screen would go black and then the mouse pointer would be the only thing on the screen.  So then I pushed Ctrl Alt delete and bring up the task manager screen and their I went down to the start button when I could choose shut down, restart or sleep.  I chose to restart the computer.  I did this a couple of times thinking that Windows 7 would restart and go onto the desktop.  Everytime it would get to the blue screen where it would say please wait and then welcome but the funny thing was though it would stay on the welcome screen even before it tried to go to the desktop.  When it try to go to the desktop the screen again and again would be black and sometimes the mouse would be the only thing on the screen and other times the screen would be black with no white arrow on the screen.  I forgot to mention that when the computer would boot up and get to the screen Windows 7 is starting it would take five minutes or longer to go to the next screen.  After several tries of shutting down the computer and restarts and black screens.  It finally worked I restarted the computer and it finally went to the desktop.  Then I chose to uninstall the lasted version from the computer and rebooted and the computer had no trouble going to the desktop at all. 

So then after I rebooted I installed Avast antivirus free version 70.126 from a usb drive and installed it and yes I uninstalled the other version of avast free by using the add remove programs function on Windows 7 first. 

So then I registered the free version and rebooted the computer again it worked like  charm and best of all no hanging no black screens at all.

The reason I am putting this on here is because  I now the developers of avast go through the avast forum and hopefully will fix this bug or issue in the next program update to avast free soon.

Have a great day avast

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Windows 7 hangs when using lasted version of avast 7 free Fix please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
You could send your dump file to avast if you still have it as without that there is no way of knowing where your problem was ??? ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:01:57 AM by craigb »

jhjove

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 06:54:51 PM »
No solution here. Only to report/post that I have the same issue which started yesterday after an avast upgrade.
The machine: Dell N5110 i5 Core, 6Gb, Windows 7 home prem-64b

Actions I took:
1 - disabled avast startup (msconfig in safe mode): reboot worked, had to manually start avast then
2 - re-enabled avast in msconfig, used best performance for graphics, minimal startup programs selected: reboot hung on profile desktop load
3 - troubleshooting settings, checkmarked delay loading avast until other services loaded: reboot hung on profile desktop load

At no point did I get an error message, nor popup that would report any issues or functional errors.
This machine is a friends pc, so I did not have the time to go through the windows logs scouring for errors. This is the 1st time for
me having avast cause pc issues.

End result was to uninstall avast and load avira...at least a temporary solution.

If I do get a chance to examine the logs and find something related to this avast load issue I'll post.

Diddy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:00:52 PM »
HI Graigb I uninstalled the lasted version from avast and reinstalled avast 7.0126 back on Windows 7 instead.
next time if I have a problem I will do that.
thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 07:08:44 PM »
HI Graigb I uninstalled the lasted version from avast and reinstalled avast 7.0126 back on Windows 7 instead.
next time if I have a problem I will do that.
thanks
Even if you have reverted back to an earlyer version you should still have the dumps unless you deleted them ?

Dump can be found here C:\Windows\Minidump
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:47:28 AM by craigb »

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:01:04 PM »
I also have a member on the Spanish forum with a Dell laptop and W7 who is experiencing this black screen and only the mouse cursor with Avast! 7.0.1456 and this is happening even after a clean install running aswclear.exe.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100636.msg807630#msg807630

I asked him to generate a dump file:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

and to send it to Avast! ftp://ftp.avast.com

Hope he does it.

Diddy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
HI CraigB I have no idea what mind dumps you are talking about I have not deleted anything what I would like to now is how do I exactly send the mind dumps to avast can I send this dump file to avast through email please help have no idea how to do this CraigB.

Thanks.

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
Diddy.

Since the computer is not crashing, you have to make a dump file while it is with the black screen. Follow the link above where it tells you how to do this. here is the link again:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

Then you have to send the file to Avast! FTB servers:

Look for the latest dump in C:\WINDOWS\memory dump. Compress it with ZIP, RAR or 7Zip and give it an original name. It will also be a good idea to include a text ( use notepad ) with your Forum e-mail and URL of this post.

Upload the dump to ftp://ftp.avast.com. Use IE for this and follow instructions.

Or Start > Run > Copy/paste " explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming " without quotes. Drag dump file into the ftb window.

Diddy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
Iroc555 I uninstalled the lasted version off of windows 7 and went and reinstalled avast free version 7.0126 back on to Windows 7 yesterday so does that mean I will not have a dump file from yesterday at all on windows 7 sorry for all the questions I have never done this sort of thing before.

Thanks.

iroc9555

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:15:59 AM »
if you did not get BSOD with V.7.0.1456, you do not have the dump or minidump that it is most likely the computer set to produce.

You have to install the new version of Avast!, the one you got the black screen with the cursor mouse on it, and make it crash ( BSOD ) while in the black screen so that a dump file can be invoke with the cause of the problem in it.

You crash the computer ( BSOD ) with the instructions given in the link I gave you.

blueclawmd

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:48:43 AM »
I have to say I am also having problems with Avast (Pro) and Windows 7.  I have three machines in different locations that started having problems.

Some info from my troubleshooting:

It started after the machine began acting weird during a session.  Some programs wouldn't open, PC started running really slow.  Rebooted the PC and after the restart, it sits at the login screen with Welcome and the spinning circle.  Other times, the welcome goes away and I get a black screen with just a cursor.  No commands work, nothing.

After hours of troubleshooting, I performed clean startup of the PC and got it to load Windows.  I then started turning services back on, 1 by 1 until I found that if both Avast services are disabled, the problem goes away.

A full uninstall/reinstall seemed to help the problem, but I worry it will return.

At this point, I have found several posts explaining the same thing through Google searches.  Not sure if a Windows update screwed something up with Avast! or if an Avast! update is to blame.

PCs are all Windows 7, Two Dell and one HP. 

Thank you

Diddy

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
HI I was just wondering iroc555 would I be able to send a dump file that is old or does avast uninstall dump files when you uninstall avast free from your computer.  You see I am not comfortable with crashing my step dads computer on purpose I am afraid something will happen and I will be in a lot of trouble if I wreck his computer.  This procedure you told me to do is just out of my league period.

Thanks

iroc9555

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
Diddy.

The black screen with only the mouse cursor will not generate a dump file. In your original post you do not talk of a crash ( BSOD ).

Now if a BSOD occured while the issue was happening, yes by all means send the dump file.

Diddy

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »
HI Iroc9555 I have not tried this solutions you gave me yet because someone else uses the computer.  But I was just going to thank you for the help anyways.  And I will try to find those dump file for Avast lasted version if I can.

Thanks again

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 03:16:25 AM »
Diddy you are welcome. Sorry I could not do more for you though.