Author Topic: Win32:Atraps-PF Problem  (Read 5686 times)

lukey206

Win32:Atraps-PF Problem
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
Hello.  I have a problem with my computer.  After installing and running Avast free, the problem noted in the subject line keeps reappearing.  It appears that others have had a similar situation and and found help in this forum.  I searched previous posts and I am going to try to post the required logs for help with clearing this problem.  I am new to the forum, so please tell me if additonal information is required and I would greatly appreciate a to do list for protection in the future.  Thank you in advance for your time.  I have tried to follow the protocol on the "Logs to assist in cleaning malware" and have installed and run Malwarebytes Anti Malware and run logs for OTL and MBR (I may be calling these by the wrong name). 

Sorry, forgot to add this:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.61.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.07.07.07

Windows 7 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
Administrator :: NORMP-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

7/8/2012 12:43:20 AM
mbam-log-2012-07-08 (00-43-20).txt

Scan type: Full scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 406621
Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:\Windows\Installer\{b42c4f55-2a88-5a23-f120-89196d35d533}\U\00000008.@ (Trojan.Dropper.BCMiner) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:58:09 PM by lukey206 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Win32:Atraps-PF Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Files
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\Desktop.ini
    C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\Desktop.ini
    C:\Windows\Installer\{b42c4f55-2a88-5a23-f120-89196d35d533}
    C:\Users\administrator.ORTHOARTS\AppData\Local\{b42c4f55-2a88-5a23-f120-89196d35d533}

:Commands
    [purity]
    [resethosts]
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.
THEN

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

lukey206

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:37 AM »
Sorry for this additional Newbie problem, but I need you to tell me why I can't see your first response when I view the thread.  The only way I can view it is to hit the quote icon and it opens the reply box and I can view it with formatting.  Is there a viewing setting that I changed accidentally?  I also can't view the "Logs to Assist" posting that I could read earlier.  I can only see that you replied, but there is no content posted (I did the second reply by mistake).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »
Sorry, I'm not sure why you couldn't see essexboy's response, I checked it and there is no strange formatting that wouldn't make it viewable. I can see it just fine, I have replicated it as a quote, can you see that (your post was inadvertently removed as a duplicate) ?

EDIT: Quote removed now you can view essexboy's post normally.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:34:59 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lukey206

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »
I fixed the viewing problem that I asked about in the previous reply and attempted to run fix with OTL with the information pasted.  It says in the message line "Creating restore point.  DO NOT INTERRUPT...". I left it that way longer than overnight.  It is still locked up.  I can't see where a log has been created.  The items remaining in the paste box are [CREATERESTOREPOINT] and [reboot].  What should my next step be?  I am sending this from an alternate computer.  Do I restart the computer and try the same thing?  Is there a way to safely shutdown when it is stuck?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:23 AM »
What was the viewing problem and how did you resolve it ?

Do you have System Restore enabled ?
I would try and shut it down as tidily as you can, you may have to a power off restart, if so press and hold the power button in for 5 seconds (that is about as tidy as it gets if you can't shutdown normally).

Check if the log files have been created and attach if they have.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lukey206

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »
I don't know what the viewing problem was but it resolved on the third time I restarted the computer.

After the last reply I shut down my computer and ran a quick scan with OTL and made a report (restore was enabled).  I downloaded comco fix and ran.  I disabled Malwarebites and Avast using system tray icons.  New problem:  combo fix says it has detected Microsoft security essentials antivirus and antispyware to be active and to disable before clicking Ok.  The problem is that I uninstalled security essentials before installing avast so there is no icon to right click on to disable.  Please tell me what to do next.  It says not to click out of combo fix at risk of damage.  I did not attach the log from OTL because I am sending this from my phone.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
To start with Attach (not copy and paste) the logs that you have got.

There are probably some remnants of MSE after the uninstall that combofix is detecting:
- Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.

Scroll down to [23b] Microsoft Security Essentials, use that to ensure all remnants of MSE have been removed, reboot and then try combofix again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
If combofix still finds it then select continue and accept the warnings

lukey206

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »
I am attaching the log from the OTL.  I haven't rebooted and retried the combo fix.  Will do that next.

lukey206

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:11 AM »
I am attaching the combo fix log.  When running combo fix, the computer restarted automatically (without me hitting anything) and when it came back on it would not accept my password to open the computer user account.  I restarted and opened it in safemode (with the same password that works) and found the log and and sending this message from safe mode.  Any idea what happened or ideas to help without a password reset disk?  When I looked at resetting the password for the user account in safe mode the warning said that I would lose some data that would be hidden if the password was reset without a disk so I didn't try this because I am not sure what data would be lost.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
Reboot to normal mode on completion of this

We need to replace services.exe ...  Click the globe under my Avatar to go to my skydrive.  There you will find a file called services.exe

Download that to your C drive root.. I.E C:\services.exe

1. Close any open browsers.
2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:
FCopy::
C:\services.exe|c:\windows\system32\services.exe

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exeWhen finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

lukey206

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
I have finished with the requests above and have attached the log from ComboFix and then I will attempt to restart the computer in regular mode.  Thank you.

lukey206

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 04:43:40 AM »
I tried to reboot the computer in regular mode.  The good news is that it made it to the password screen faster than ever.  The bad news it still gives me a red X saying the request is denied when I type the password and won't open the desktop.  Can the password be turned off in safe mode without losing anything?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Yes you can disable the password quite safely