Author Topic: No response from Avast regarding UKASH virus  (Read 19250 times)

Archie881

Re: No response from Avast regarding UKASH virus
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
When I get to safe mode with prompt command I get "please select the operating system to start". The only option is "Microsoft windows xp"

Can't seem to type anything else either.

Archie881

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »
What's the ransom window?  :o

Sorry for my ignorance of these things, thanks for your patience.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 09:12:55 PM »
When you get to the windows desktop

OK lets try windows defender offline on a USB drive

There are full details here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline?SignedIn=1&SignedIn=1

Meanwhile I will download a copy myself and see how it works

Archie881

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
That's the problem when the computer starts up I get to windows desk top, the virus kicks in, I have a page telling me to pay £100 to met police, and I can't do anything else, the whole thing is locked.

adotd

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
im not a malware expert

but i may know how to get rid of this

but im not allowed to post in the
 forums

seniors3

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
yes ran command prompt insafe mode but the virus was not exactly where the youtube video said - which was under the roaming file - mine was under a slightly different path but managed to find the folder from the date and time created. Also all my files weren't locked which apparently the virus normally does so I didn't have to do anything else - not sure why this is but sure there are probably a million variations. Mine was UKASH with the West Yorkshire Police crest - does the virus somehow know your location ?as I do live in WYorks
I couldn't get out of the window lock so had to power off and restart - logged onto Youtube on another lap top so didn't try anything else

seniors3

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »
if it helps anyone else - just type in 'remove ransonware' in you tube and then add onto the search your variation i.e. Met Police, West Yorks Police - seemed relatively simple but as I say just be aware the virus might not be exactly where it says - the advice on forums was also to run the malwarebytes also dead simple - all i can say is seems to have worked - so good luck :)

Archie881

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
I can't access anything on the computer as it is locked up.

Thanks for all of the advice, I do appreciate your efforts, at the moment the large sledge hammer in my workshop is looking like the best option.  >:( >:(.

I've been at this for 5 hours now and I'm beginning to lose the will to live :o :o

adotd

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Can you access Safe mode with command prompt? 8)

Archie881

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
I can, but when I get there it asks me what operating system to start, and the only option is windows Xp.

I can't input anything else.

When I select this, it starts up up and when I get to my desktop, all locks up and the met police sign comes up.
I tried to get the task manager up, but I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

adotd

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
Download the following using a clean PC.

Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker:
http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/kav_rescue_10.iso [Size: 256MB]

Kaspersky USB Rescue Disk Maker:
http://rescuedisk.kaspersky-labs.com/rescuedisk/updatable/rescue2usb.exe [Size: 378kb]

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
As essexboy has you now under his expert care, I suggest waiting for his answer.  I am sure he will come up with a fix for you.  Frustrating and as scary as this is, there is a fix, but only essexboy and the other malware experts here know how to navigate these troubled waters without damaging your system.

He will find a way to get into your system to craft a fix for you with your help.  You will run the program suggested to do this.

As essexboy is in another time zone (England), and does work at other times, it may be a bit of ping pong effect to work this out.

Please be patient.  Strongly suggest not running any other programs unless essexboy tells you to.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Archie881

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
I've downloaded 2 rescue discs, I can't get the computer to start from the disc drive.

I've entered the BIOS menu and set the disc drive as primary, but it won't work.

I've tried to start from the USB, still no luck.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
I've downloaded 2 rescue discs, I can't get the computer to start from the disc drive.

I've entered the BIOS menu and set the disc drive as primary, but it won't work.

I've tried to start from the USB, still no luck.
Please be patient.  Do not attempt fixes on your own.  I assume you are looking for the help you need here, so please wait.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Archie881

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 11:00:05 PM »
Thanks Mchain, Essexboy has been very helpful.

, I'm also in England, I'm very grateful for his help.

I'm not very computer literate, I save things that I need regularly, but I have some photos that I would like to retrieve.

The computer is 5 yrs old or more.  I think the sledgehammer could eventually provide a cathartic/therapeutic result.  ;D.