Author Topic: Blocked from internet & email, again!  (Read 18023 times)

Spectacle

Blocked from internet & email, again!
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
Posted about this in another thread as a comment but don't want to trash their thread so starting a new one.

"I had the same problems Sunday after 'upgrade' Friday to 7.0.1456 on my XP Pro SP3. First, late Sunday night around 11:45PM I got a strange error message from a forum I'm a member of that I was being blocked because my machine was either infected with a Virus or was a SPAM robot. Couldn't break through that. Then glitches on other forums.

In the morning when attempting log on to Outlook Express I got error 10060, 'Not the Server' and was dead there. Then went to internet and all was blocked with 404 errors, access denied.

Not real funny because Monday morning at 1 AM is when the Doomsday Virus was scheduled to hit and destroy computers. My machine was inoperable for anything internet related all day.

Problem fixed itself later after I had done a 9 hour Malwarebytes Full Scan, Avast! scan, Spybot Scan etc. etc. etc. finding nothing but wasting a whole bunch of time and energy all day long, whole day shot! Not happy with that, way beyond upsetting at the time. Avast! User Control Panel showed no errors, everything just fine according to that which only made things worse."

This morning I had a mirror image repeat of the same crap, exactly the same: no connection through Outlook Express to my ISP's email server - again showing 10060 error & no connection to internet through Internet Explorer, '404 Error - Access Denied'. My ISP over the last two days has checked everything on his end, no problem there and no other user on his service having problems that he knows of. Of course if they're blocked from email & internet by Avast he wouldn't know it!

This time I already knew it was the Avast program that was screwed up. Opened User Control Panel and saw that it said the same thing as the other day: 'Not connected with any Avast account'. Program Version 7.0.1456, Virus Definitions version 120710-1.

Clicked on 'Connect with Avast Account' and the program immediately updated Definitions to 120711-1. Computer then became useable again: connected to email and connected to internet through Internet Explorer. Even though it updated and I'm now connected to email and internet the Avast User Control Panel still says 'Not connected with any Avast Account' even though I clicked on Connect, and it then connected and updated! Now it says it isn't connected again!

This sucks!

Spectacle

Re: Blocked from internet & email, again!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »
Shut down machine this morning, came back this afternoon, turned on computer & logged onto dialup connection: same thing again! No email, 10060 error, couldn't connect to email server, couldn't connect to Internet Explorer - 404 errors.

Opened Avast user interface, it showed 'Not connected to any Avast Account' [don't know what it's supposed to show there], clicked on Connect now. FAILED - nothing, wouldn't connect, no change, wouldn't update definitions.

Shut down again, rebooted, logged onto dialup ISP again, went to Avast user interface again, showed 'Not connected to any Avast Account' again, clicked on 'Connect now' again. Avast connected & updated definitions and now have access to email and Internet.

This is getting real tiresome! The problem is with the Avast antivirus program, I made no changes to my computer, defragged yesterday & today, scanned for malware & spyware & viruses, not my computer causing problems. What's it take get this antivirus to work? It's making my computer useless! The 'Connect now' trick didn't work the first time, so what am I supposed to do if it stops working completely?

How about an update to fix these connectivity problems that a lot of people are having with 7.0.1456 ? Hello???

Spectacle

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
Same thing again this morning, see other posts if you're interested.

This morning I noticed that when I clicked on 'Connect to Avast Account' that soon as it connected the ad popped up on bottom of screen for 'avast News Service - Avast Software Endpoint Protection sized for your business needs'.

Then Avast updated definitions after connecting and computer becomes usable again. 4 days now, same BS, no change...

Spectacle

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 06:18:07 AM »
Moving right along here! Tonight after a day on the computer my email dropped out again for no apparent reason, no more connection to email server!

Also when opening Avast User Interface it again said I wasn't connected to any Avast Account. I clicked on Connect Now like I do in the mornings but got a pop-up demanding a user name & password! Never go that before and I don't have that information as far as I know, unless it's the same as for the forum which I doubt.

Clicked on Update Engine & Virus Definitions and it's now stalled, won't connect or download updates either!

Also can't find any emails from Avast anywhere in my email program. Some should still be there from when I installed just a few months ago, but nothing, all gone.

This really isn't working anywhere close to good. Also doesn't seem to interest anyone but me. Not one reply from anyone, I wonder why? I see lots of other folks receiving replies. Oh well, lost in cyberspace I guess.

It was BS like this that caused me to get a refund from Avira a couple of months ago when their program caused me problems and I got no help to fix it. Far as I know I got the paid version of Avast but can't even figure that out now! Who knows, maybe Avast & Avira are actually the same company? Don't know that either...just know it isn't working.

EDIT: just want to add that Avast Update is now stalled, dead, stuck at 'Initializing' for the past 15 minutes - can't & won't update. Doesn't seem to be any way to make it try again like to refresh, just stuck!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:45:06 AM by Spectacle »

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:27:02 AM »
Unless you've set up an avast account to monitor online security statis then the avast account should say not connected, this feature is not needed for avast to function.

Have you run vendors removal tool to delet all remnants of previous AV's ( avira ) ?

Also i would remove spybot as it has some conflicts with avast, mainly with teatimer, use Malwarebytes instead.

Spectacle

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
Thank you, Craigb!

Thanks for info on Avast Account, had no idea what it was about, but in desperation tried it thinking something wasn't connected.

I used Revo Uninstaller at its 4th level, most complete removal, to erase all files of all former Antivirus etc.

Far as I know Spybot is downloaded to my desktop but is not running in the background. I think it only runs on demand, I know that when I do use it the program has a small popup that shows it 'Loading definitions' or something like that, indicating it isn't running all the time. I didn't install and don't use Tea Timer as I had heard of the problems. I can try uninstalling SSD and see what happens.

This morning after defraggin I tried to force update in Avast. Progress showed connecting to 'download 375.avast.com.iavs5x/servers.def.vpx' then said 'Downloading file' and then showed 'Connection Terminated'. Then something like 'Retrying connection' and then connected to 'Download 120.avast.com.iavs5x/servers.def.vpx' and again, Connection Terminated.

Disabled Avast for 10 minutes, Rebooted, warning showed that Avast was down, then Avast came back up in seconds, updated Definitions and computer was operable again.

There's some problem with the updates that's tied into this. I noticed that about 10 days ago Avast wasn't updating regularly like it used to, like every 2 hours, when it was working fine, no problems. Started updating only twice a day after one update, and then problems started. It continues to only update twice a day and often misses the evening update and locks up.

Program worked fine with no problems for a couple of months, made no changes to the computer before problem started.

Spectacle

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Another thing that might be related to this: suddenly about a month ago I stopped getting any emails of 'Reply Notifications' from posts to threads on several forums. Checked with all forums, no change on their end and all looked good, Checked with my ISP [a good friend of mine] no problems on his end and no other customers having the problem.

Right at the time this new problem started something changed and I got sporadic emails from two forums, but not all. Then those stopped also. This morning, out of nowhere, I am getting topic reply notifications from several forums including this one, which were blocked.

The only possible blocking agent seems to be my antivirus, nothing else on machine monitors emails.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
I also had troubles with updates not working this morning, i'd say there must have been something going on with the servers.

Revo's not recommended to remove security products, it tends to remove other needed files and in turn messing up other functions and programs, always use the vendors legitimate removal tool.

Spectacle

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »
Thanks!

Borrowed info from Spybot forum but rewrote it so no copyright problems:

Spybot-Search & Destroy has two parts,  SDHelper and TeaTimer. Resident TeaTimer is a Spybot tool that contiuously monitors processes. It detects known malicious processes and terminates them, giving options how to handle the process in future. TeaTimer can be set up to inform when process tries to start again, or kill process automatically, or allow process to run. You may also delete files associated with process. TeaTimer detects when something wants to change critical registry keys. TeaTimer protects against changes, gives options to Allow or Deny change. TeaTimer is always running in background & uses about 5 MB of resources.

SD Helper/Immunize feature allows immunization against some spyware. Three different immunities: Permanent Internet Explorer immunity similar to JavaCool SpywareBlaster, allowing tweaks of  some Internet Explorer settings to block installation of known spyware installers via ActiveX. Spybot blocks according to entries in its database. There's a permanently running blocker for bad downloads in Internet Explorer as a second layer of protection. Permanent Immunity blocks installers by ActiveX ID and other aspects.

I did use the Immunize feature so that means Spybot is running even though I didn't install any Tea Timer module! Next time I shut down I'll remove. Does Avast protect against all these items listed that SSD protects against[/b]? Any protection against Active X controls?

I've not had problems with Revo over the years but I have with several company's claimed 'Uninstaller'. In many cases they intentionally leave components on your computer for whatever reason, especially one very well known free antivirus. I always check the exact identity of files to be removed to protect against disaster. Kind of a rock & a hard place thing with uninstallers, when mfgr's refuse to program their software to remove all components and intentionally leave orphan files to pester other antivirus installations - don't want to name names...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
spybot once a very good program....in the early days of malware
spybot and ad-aware was one of the first programs for this type of bugs...

anyway with todays malware it is obsolete.....check any pro malware removal forum and you will see that none is using it....and what is the first tool they try.....Malwarebytes

also they release one small update every wednesday....malwarebytes may have 10 in a day
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:20:24 PM by Pondus »

Spectacle

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
spybot one a very good program....in the early days of malware
spybot and ad-aware was one of the first programs for this type of bugs...

anyway with todays malware it is obsolete.....check any pro malware removal forum and you will see that none is using it....and what is the first tool they try.....Malwarebytes

also they release one small update every wednesday....malwarebytes may have 10 in a day

Thank you, Pondus, very interesting! Yeah, I had heard that about SSD being weak at best. I have Malwarebytes free version. One thing that bothered me is how long it takes to update definitions when I use it because I don't use it often. I'll see if I can set it to update automatically or just update it more often!

Spybot will be gone today. I liked Super-Antispyware too, don't know how it plays with Avast. Haven't installed it on this computer but thought about it.

Thanks for the replies guys! No fun being stuck out in the middle of nowhere alone with a program that wants to completely shut me off the internet and email!

Spectacle

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
Thanks to those who helped me here!

I removed Spybot Search & Destroy with Revo uninstaller. Revo always uses the built-in uninstaller for the program to be removed. After SSD Uninstaller ran it then located all the leftovers that SSD's Uninstaller leaves behind, mentioned when using SSD Uninstaller. 4th level of uninstall removed root stuff in registry.

Defragged and rebooted. Possibly quicker reboot. Connected dialup, no problems. Connected Email no problems. While connecting to internet Avast also updated, which it hasn't been doing but rarely, internet connection succesful. All seems to be working properly at this time.

If speed & efficiency etc. without SSD seems improved I'll note that here. Too bad in a way, I've been using Spybot on my computers as long as I can remember, many years.

Thanks again for the help, so far, so good.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

Thanks again for the help, so far, so good.
Your welcome :)

Spectacle

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
Sorry to say, problems all returned today. Botted & logged on this morning, no problems until latest Avast update. Computer slowed some & got a little glitchy. Logged off, shut down. Came back this afternoon and got dialup connection: then Email blocked, no internet access same as before.

Went to User Interface and forced Avast update. Defragged & rebooted. Was then able to connect to email and internet. SSD is still uninstalled, no changes to computer except Avast update.

Spectacle

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
All problems as described have continued to occur. About ever 2 bootups Avast locks everything up, Outlook Express 10060 error and won't open, IE won't open.

Most of the time I cannot force an update of Virus Definitions either, get message that Avast can't make the connection with Avast. Must reboot.

I'm also getting the double 'Avast has been updated' voice messages.

Also Avast is blocking all forum website notifications from all but 1 forum, cannot get Notice of Replies to threads, including Avast threads! Joining a new forum I may get one reply notification then all blocked afterwards. When I was having same unsolved problems two weeks ago, disabling Avast temporarily allowed website notifications.

This all started with the one major update that screwed everything else up too, several weeks now! FIX???