Author Topic: [SOLVED] Problem Windows 7 x64 and Avast Free  (Read 26535 times)

gedlot

[SOLVED] Problem Windows 7 x64 and Avast Free
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
Hi! I have two days trying to install the latest version of avast 7.0.1456 and I have the same problem of freezes and crashes, I have also followed the instructions in another post and I've even tried installing the version 7.0.1426 but does not work. I have an asus motherboard, i7 and nvidia graphics. I have Comodo Firewall free and nothing else installed.
After install and uninstall several times, with crashes that forced reset from the button on the computer, I uninstalled with aswclear and do a clean reinstall with  the latest version of avast in Safe mode instead normal mode to see what happen.
This is what happened, may serve as a clue to make a new corrected version?
I chose to install avast free in  <program files x86> instead than <program files> and put all .exe in <windows xp sp3 compatibility>, avast service manual, and restarted in normal mode.
This is the only way to boot my windows 7 with avast installed but start is slow and the avast screens are frozen but at least let me access to the free registration screen, but when you have to update, avast.setup jumps, and as you can not put into <compatibility mode windows xp sp3> avast  hangs again the computer and windows 7.
I finally uninstalled pending an update of the program to correct problems with windows 7 x64.
Any solution? :'(

Regards.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:27:48 PM by gedlot »

Hellion

Re: Problem Windows 7 x64 and Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »
Hi Gedlot,

I'm just a forum user here.

I've done multiple installations of Avast on x64 machines with no problems at all.
In fact, the machine I'm typing this response on is running win x64 and running Avast.

I have Comodo Firewall free and nothing else installed.

Ok, so is this a clean install of windows? or did you install another security program before this?
Remnants of old AV's can cause havoc and you should run the removal tools for them.

try this: Run aswclear and then restart, then Disable Comodo FW and Defence + and retry the Avast installation.

Also you can check event viewer to see why Avast crashed, if you find anything please post it.

Do not use compatibility mode, it will only cause problems.

gedlot

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:24 PM »
Hi Hellion! :) thank you very much, this is a clean install of windows, I disabled Comodo Fw and Defense + and I reinstalled Avast again, it seems it's ok, I only see one event:

<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC90.ATL,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\asOutExt64.dll</Data>

Avast System Tray Icon is missing and Opera Plugin doesn't install, I have Opera 12 x64 installed and Win 7 SP1 x64, but I don't know why happen this.

Thanks again for your help with Avast's installation.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:38:25 PM by gedlot »

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:32:13 AM »
hi,
Has the problem between avast and the comodo firewall been resolved yet?
I understand the web shield was creating a hole in the comodo firewall.
Regards. 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:49:23 AM »
I understand the web shield was creating a hole in the comodo firewall.
Well... It's not this technically. I mean, Comodo has not acknowledged that the proxy activity of WebShield has, in fact, bypassed its protection.
At least I'm not aware of this. If you have more technical information, please, post.
The best things in life are free.

Hellion

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
Hi Arnold72, Tech,

Please search the Avast forums and Comodo forums, this issue has been discussed into oblivion... No solution yet other than going to web shield and ticking "Scan well know browser processes only" the natleast most toher applications calling home will be picked up by Comodo.

Hi Gedlot,

I have seen a few people complaining about issues with Avast 7 on x64 systems...

As a test, (and I'm sorry I'm making you go back and forth with this) Will you completely remove avast 7 one more time with the utility, Disable Comodo completely and then install Avast 6 ? Available here - http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php    (Download and install 6.0.1367)

Report back and tell me how it's working?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
gedlot a clean install should be sufficient, remove avast with the uninstall tool in safe mode, reboot back to normal mode and install avast in the default folders, it may help to remove comodo and install it after avast, then add the neccesary exclusions to avast and comodo.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:40:29 AM by craigb »

squirell

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »
I too have had a problem with Avast and the new windows updates, I have reported it to Avast because I have 3 computers that are running and need the new updates, which I can't do because I can't afford the pc's to crash, as one of them did which is why I am posting this.
I am running Windows 7 (all these pc's are running the same specs) 64 and I am running Avast internet security (which I actually paid for with 3 licenses which is why I'm annoyed) on trying to update windows update the pc just hung on the windows welcome screen, wouldn't go any further, after several restarts trying to get it past the welcome screen still had nothing couldn't even get it to boot into safe mode, so tried some windows tool that is supposed to fix pc's freezes when your trying to update, well that didn't work either, when finally after lots of troubleshooting and lots of investigating I finally got it to boot into safe mode but then lost the ability to use the mouse, when in safe mode everything worked fine but couldn't get past safe mode into normal windows.

Now a little history, several months ago on another update I had a similar problem then a little light went on insode my head and remembering back the only thing that got me back to normal was uninstalling Avast.

So back to present time and lots of hair pulling and lots of curse words used I decided to uninstall Avast in safe mode and then restart pc, voila pc went straight back into windows no dramas, so I had to then reinstall Avast.

I must say though I am quit annoyed with the Avast developers, I paid good money for 3 licenses and reported this problem 2 days ago marked this as emergency on the priority listing and still no response from anyone. So it does go to show whether your using Avast free or a paid version you still have problems, but does kinda make me wonder why I paid for Avast now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
squirell, I had problems while updating a virtual machine of Windows 7. It was kept in a loop while booting/installing/reverting Windows Updates. I could not solve it yet then I can't help or suggest anything new.

I do not have any problems in my real Windows 7 installation.
I can't remember if I was with 1451 or 1456 version of avast! either.
The best things in life are free.

gedlot

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
 :D Thanks again to everyone, after uninstalling and reinstalling, still leaving the same error, but booted and loaded Avast icon in System Tray, reading about the type of error in the forum, and searching google, I checked and saw that I had installed Visual C + + 2010 Redistributable Package, but not Visual C + + 2005 Redistributable Package and Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package, after installing both, I reinstalled Avast and everything works ok now.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »
:D Thanks again to everyone, after uninstalling and reinstalling, still leaving the same error, but booted and loaded Avast icon in System Tray, reading about the type of error in the forum, and searching google, I checked and saw that I had installed Visual C + + 2010 Redistributable Package, but not Visual C + + 2005 Redistributable Package and Visual C + + 2008 Redistributable Package, after installing both, I reinstalled Avast and everything works ok now.
Thanks for letting us know, the redistributable package rears its ugly head yet again, strange though as the C++ 2008 9.0.30729.4148 should be installed with avast so who knows why this happens ???