Author Topic: [SOLVED] Thunderbird mail and Avast! mail shield  (Read 8672 times)

Yoshi2889

[SOLVED] Thunderbird mail and Avast! mail shield
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
Hello!

I've installed Avast! on my laptop, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Love it!

For additional protection however, I'd like the Mail shield to check over my mails every so often. I've tried to setup the shield to use my mail account, with no luck.

My mail provider is iCloud, the service from Apple. You can find details on their servers here.

When I setup Avast!, and disable SSL in Thunderbird as Avast tells me to do so, Thunderbird keeps bugging me that it is unable to connect to the incoming mail server.

How should I configure the mail server in both Avast! and Thunderbird?

If you need my current setup, please do ask :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:58:08 PM by Yoshi2889 »

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Thunderbird mail and Avast! mail shield
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
Disable SSL/TSL protection for Incoming server and Outgoing server.

Yoshi2889

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »
That's what I tried to do, I have my settings like this in Thunderbird:

http://prntscr.com/bz032 (incoming)
http://prntscr.com/bz08a (outgoing)

And these are my settings in Avast!:
http://prntscr.com/bz07h

It's all in dutch. The options which are SSL are "Verbindingsbeveiliging" in Thunderbird.

Also after a while thunderbird says that the connection time has expired.

Any more ideas? :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Your settings in thunderbird still show Secure ports for IMAP and SMTP, this will stop avast being able to redirect these ports, scan the email traffic and then initiate the secure connection to send the email.

Your avast SSL Account information is correct, but you need to set the thunderbird accounts to non-SSL ports.

Also see - https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=842.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yoshi2889

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
Thanks Pondus, I watched the video and did all what it said, but still it does not work. It still does not receive mail, and stops with the message that the connection expired.

DavidR, I reset the ports to the default ones Thunderbird mentioned when watching the video both of you provided, it still fails to work, see above.
EDIT: Woops, failed to see the difference in links. I'll go check out DavidR's link in a moment :)

EDIT2: Works now, thanks!
Thunderbird doesn't show the last number of the default port, so I entered 14 instead of 143 at IMAP. Thanks for the help guys!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:41:46 PM by Yoshi2889 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
You're welcome.

That is why I like the text/image based knowledge base article, perhaps a little more detailed than the video.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Yoshi2889

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
You're welcome.

That is why I like the text/image based knowledge base article, perhaps a little more detailed than the video.
Yeah, video's are pretty messy when it comes to doing steps (you can't just easily go back to a previous step without doing the video partially over again), that's why we have a Wiki running at SMF's place. Although not everyone thinks so, it's good to have alternatives :)

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
Thanks Pondus, I watched the video and did all what it said, but still it does not work. It still does not receive mail, and stops with the message that the connection expired.

DavidR, I reset the ports to the default ones Thunderbird mentioned when watching the video both of you provided, it still fails to work, see above.
EDIT: Woops, failed to see the difference in links. I'll go check out DavidR's link in a moment :)

Thunderbird doesn't show the last number of the default port, so I entered 14 instead of 143 at IMAP. Thanks for the help guys!

I,m glad you solve problem with TB and Avast,if you want you can send "test" email to yourself to test Avast mail shield.

Yoshi2889

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »

I,m glad you solve problem with TB and Avast,if you want you can send "test" email to yourself to test Avast mail shield.
Awesome idea, I haven't really tested the SMTP stuff yet. I'll be right back :)

EDIT: Works fine too, thanks :)