Author Topic: Windows 7 Genuine Activation issues continue with Avast 7  (Read 6486 times)

Gwenn

Windows 7 Genuine Activation issues continue with Avast 7
« on: July 12, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
I see that in a previous version, some effort was made to fix vista activation issues, and I see that in forum posts, discussions were had about Windows activation saying that the message "Windows is not genuine" would appear after a boot scan.   Looks like a fix was made here:

Version 6.0.1203   http://www.avast.com/release-history
2011-07-04
•improved compatibility with Windows Vista SP0/SP1 (activation issues)

However, I have windows 7, x64, and I get this message on a laptop that was purchased from HP, it still has the CoA sticker on it, so everything is on the up and up.  What happens is this... once every 10 min or so, this msg shows up, I then go to:

Start>rclick Computer> Properties>scrolldown

And look at the spot where it should say "Windows is activated" but it says "Status is unknown" for about 2 seconds, and then it goes back to "Windows is activated." 

I have not ever performed a boot scan.  Very puzzling.  I did perform a full scan once.  Several months ago, while I still had Symantec after a minor incident with a virus from a website.  As far as I know, it was fully removed, and no threats since. 

Is this still an issue for Avast version 7?  Do you have a specific fix for Windows 7?  It seems to me that there is just some kind of connection that is delayed or broken long enough to time out, and I must manually reactivate that connection.  I'll be happy to send you a log file or something, but not sure what would help.

(edit for clarity and typo)  I am using Avast 7 on Windows 7
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:46:30 PM by Gwenn »

true indian

Re: Windows 7 Genuine Activation issues continue with Avast 7
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
version 7 is already out

download aswclear from here: www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
download avast 7 from www.avast.com

and then run aswclear...reboot...install avast 7

Gwenn

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
version 7 is already out

download aswclear from here: www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
download avast 7 from www.avast.com

and then run aswclear...reboot...install avast 7

I think perhaps the body of my message was not clear.  Let me clarify:

I am using version 7 Avast on Windows 7, the latest version, as the subject of my message clearly states.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »
Gwenn please try a clean install, follow the steps here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility once completed reboot back to normal mode and re-install the latest version of avast ( hopefully you saved it the last time you downloaded it ) :)

Note to watch out for the two google chrome boxes to untick on the first install screen if you dont want chrome installed and choose custom install for the ability to remove features not needed.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:56:05 PM by craigb »

Gwenn

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »
Gwenn please try a clean install, follow the steps here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility once completed reboot back to normal mode and re-install the latest version of avast ( hopefully you saved it the last time you downloaded it ) :)

Note to watch out for the two google chrome boxes to untick on the first install screen if you dont want chrome installed and choose custom install for the ability to remove features not needed.

OK, will try that,  FYI, is it really really hard to make an MSI?  if I wasn't computer savvy, I wouldn't have been able to download an .exe at all, no matter how low I set my security on my internet zone using default settings.  I had to go in there and tell it that it was OK to install desktop items.  MS has been yelled at so long about security, they actually listened.

Thanks for the tips and reminders about chrome and custom, going to download first so it's there when I'm ready.  I'm going to pull the plug on wireless until I have AV again.  Hope this works. 

Gwenn

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:11 AM »
Apologies to all for not updating this thread...  for several reasons this has become back burner for me for a few days.  Had company over the weekend and also, I noticed how difficult it is to enter Safe Mode witha  Laptop when you must press Fn-F8 at the right moment... I will have to dig out a USB keyboard and hope that it is activated soon enough to function that way.  I promise to update on the results though. 

If anyone has an easier way for me to clean-reinstall avast besides entering Safe Mode, perhaps some kind of manual way like turning off self-protection, etc, etc...  and maybe some kind of .reg file to clean the registry, I will be happy to entertain the idea.  Also I would like to ask, how come going to Programs and Features and uninstalling is not enough?  If Safe Mode were easy for me, I wouldn't ask, but in this case..

Thank you for your continued help and suggestions. If there is no other way, I'll figure out some way to try the safe mode way and let you know asap.

iroc9555

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »
Gwenn.

Follow this guide to enter safe mode thru msconfig. Easy.

http://www.howtogeek.com/?post_type=post&p=1070

Gwenn

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:57:34 PM »

Still nobody has explained why the safe mode process is required. Why is it not ok to uninstall from Programs and Features?  Is it that much self defense or what?

However, I have followed the above instructions and I STILL RECEIVE THE NOT GENUINE MESSAGE.  Now, unless you're going to accuse HP of stealing windows 7, I suggest you re-examine your software.  In the meantime, I will be switching to another software.  Using Symantec, I never received this message, so I assume it is an incompatibility with the Software Protection Service (Delayed Start, Automatic on my system).  I guess I have to pay for my AV, huh?  >:(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »

Still nobody has explained why the safe mode process is required. Why is it not ok to uninstall from Programs and Features?  Is it that much self defense or what?

However, I have followed the above instructions and I STILL RECEIVE THE NOT GENUINE MESSAGE.  Now, unless you're going to accuse HP of stealing windows 7, I suggest you re-examine your software.  In the meantime, I will be switching to another software.  Using Symantec, I never received this message, so I assume it is an incompatibility with the Software Protection Service (Delayed Start, Automatic on my system).  I guess I have to pay for my AV, huh?  >:(
Safe mode is used to clear up remnants of avast or even to uninstall avast if the normal uninstall procedure via programs and features fails.

As for the none genuine msg you are recieving i dont believe is related to avast as your the only one to have mentioned this, i suspect that you haven't thoroughly removed all of Norton ( Symantec ) or other AV's before installing avast.

You'll find many removal tools here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ which should be run in normal mode after removing other AV's.

Also when navigating to safemode you should only have to keep tapping f8 while the system is booting till you get to the black screen asking which mode you'd like, the " fn " key should not be neccessary.