Author Topic: INTERNET SECURITY DOES NOT UPDATE!!!  (Read 3890 times)

a2steve424

INTERNET SECURITY DOES NOT UPDATE!!!
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
Hi.  After using Avast free, I upgrade to INTERNET SECURITY, and since then, it REFUSES to update, saying everything is up to date.... this has gone on three days.  Have things really not changed? 

I'm used to the updates a few times a day with FREE.  Is there such a gap between the two?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: INTERNET SECURITY DOES NOT UPDATE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
what update do you have ?

a2steve424

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »
it says ENGLINE AND DEFINITIONS "already up to date" and current version 120712-1
PROGRAM  already up to date  current version 7.7.1456

its said this the past two days, and when the UPDATE does start, it almost immediately stops, and says everything is up to date.  this has never happened with the FREE version.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:40 AM »
it says ENGLINE AND DEFINITIONS "already up to date" and current version 120712-1

its said this the past two days, and when the UPDATE does start, it almost immediately stops, and says everything is up to date.  this has never happened with the FREE version.

You have latest definition of Avast database,so everything is normal,you can wait couple hours and Avast will update itself to higher version (120713-0)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:08:57 PM by JuninhoSlo »

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
Make sure the date and time is correct on your machine first.

You can try an Avast Repair:
XP Users:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Vista & Win7 Users:
-   Control Panel
-   Programs & Features
-   Uninstall a Program > Select Avast Antivirus
-   Click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair
-   Click Next and follow.
-   Reboot.

If this doesn't work, then since you did an upgrade, an uninstall/clean install might be in order:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD: 
Avast Internet Security:   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD or desktop. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall. 
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and add the license key for AIS online.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

a2steve424

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »

You have latest definition of Avast database,so everything is normal,you can wait couple hours and Avast will update itself to higher version (120713-0)

I could accept that, but no virus definitions are either- and it goes out of its way to tell me this. 

with the Free edition, it ALWAYS updated those- now it comes back as a Red window saying nothing new was available.  I doubt this became the new normal the same time I updated

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
Did you try the Avast Repair?

If that didn't work, did you try the uninstall/fresh install with the instructions I posted above?