Author Topic: Avast latest version still double sounding updating green popup in windows xp  (Read 141427 times)

renato-it

Hello,
I have one notebook with Win7 64bits and doubled audio notifications. please help, thank you.

BlackJackLee

I just got the double voice, one green pop up. It's been going on since Saturday, July 21, 2012.  :o

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
I didn't notice the double ding until I read this topic, yesterday. And now I'm facing the same problem (and BTW, a bug is a problem). I have disabled the voiceover sounds (as I always do), there's one (green) pop-up and two "dings". Pop-up duration is set to 5 seconds.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, avast! Free Antivirus 7.0.1456
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:27:44 PM by Cyberpunk »
--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276

trailblazer

Double pop-ups here too for the last few days.

Clearly it's a widespread issue. Which is a relief tbh.

fuzzy1

Any one else noticing missing dlls in the defs folder?  Could be related no?
See this thread... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102122.0

NiveusLuna

This seems to occur for me as well.

I get the double voice, but only one popup. The popup occurs with the second voice notification. First voice notification completes, then the second one starts with the popup a few seconds later.

Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. UAC enabled for everything that requires admin privs. Don't know if that last piece is relevant, but including it just in case.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:19:00 PM by NiveusLuna »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Any one else noticing missing dlls in the defs folder?  Could be related no?
See this thread... http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102122.0

They aren't missing, avast is doing its housekeeping and removing old defs folders to keep hard disk space used to a minimum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GTX66

open regedit, look in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.scroll down to Avast and see if you have duplicate Avast and then avast1 DON'T DO ANYTHING IN HERE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING !!
just check and see if it's doubled in there and then exit out. and report if it's doubled.

There are duplicates on my win7 netbook and my XP system and it this is the only OS I get this double update sound, but in all honesty, I really don't notice it that much.

But if you check other areas in this HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry area, avast aren't the only duplicate keys with this .1 suffix. But this isn't the avast key but other avast related keys avast.addin.1, avast.AsOutExt.1

Just because you don't notice that much does not mean it is not a problem. Something went amuck a few days ago and it should be fixed. Other users notice it. It is a problem and there could be other related problems that we cannot hear. I would want my security program (AIS) to be as perfect as possible. But lately it has detected itself as Malware, it detects Firefox Night and Aurora Build as Malware so there is a problem. I would expect Avast to take this seriously and fix it ASAP.

bumblebee001

THis is happening to me too on two laptops - one running XP the other Win 7 ultimate 64x.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip quotes>
Just because you don't notice that much does not mean it is not a problem. Something went amuck a few days ago and it should be fixed. Other users notice it. It is a problem and there could be other related problems that we cannot hear. I would want my security program (AIS) to be as perfect as possible. But lately it has detected itself as Malware, it detects Firefox Night and Aurora Build as Malware so there is a problem. I would expect Avast to take this seriously and fix it ASAP.

No one is saying it isn't a problem, the fact that I barely notice it is my own personal experience; some people have a lower irritation level. As I have said it is on only one of my two systems and this actually goes back to 6 July 2012, but it is only within the last week that it has become more widespread. That inconsistency make the task of finding the exact problem harder.

This topic is discussing only the double update notification point and not unrelated topics otherwise it becomes a total mess.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fuzzy1

<snip quotes>

No one is saying it isn't a problem, the fact that I barely notice it is my own personal experience; some people have a lower irritation level. As I have said it is on only one of my two systems and this actually goes back to 6 July 2012, but it is only within the last week that it has become more widespread. That inconsistency make the task of finding the exact problem harder.

This topic is discussing only the double update notification point and not unrelated topics otherwise it becomes a total mess.
I totally concur with GTX66. When suddenly, in addition to the "the double update notification point" repeated missing .dll Errors and yes, when a full scan reports "Error: The system cannot find the path specified (3)" for days on end I'd say that indicates they are "Missing" for some aspect of normal (NON ERROR) operation, along with the scans reporting the system itself and others too as Malware, where none exists... I'd say there's a pretty good chance of these PROBLEMS being related.
Yes, it looks like a total mess!  Please don't try to play it off as trivial.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
For me it is trivial and I'm an avast user like yourself, I'm not an avast employee.

ja37

I have also noticed the same issues.

W7 x64 U.

Vista x86 --- and x64.

XP pro.

Initial issue was a partial hang in the voice announcing update, not finishing.

Next was voice alone followed by icon popup and second voice.

Next was 2 of each.

I see today friends and a few here have had the missing DLL errors.

This is fast becoming a serious issue, as avast is beginning to corrupt itself and soon the entire system!

The problem is growing fast, and spreading, and one post earlier said it was hard to track because of inconsistency, WELL I think that inconsistency is a nose picking programmer not sticking to the job!

This issue began several weeks ago with cloud feature updates.     CLOUD = BAD NEWS!  Invasion of privacy, no need for search warrants, all your shit is out of your control and you CANNOT DELETE anything, just remove it it from your immediate view.

BOYCOTT CLOUD OS's and SOFTWARES....

Did we get a bunch of NORTON PEOPLE WORKING AT AVAST? ----- It sure as hell looks like it...

Right now it's looking like a move to Avira or AVG is a do or get screwed must. In the last 6 months, the issues with avast have been dramatically increasing.

Dump jerks who want to add all this extra garbage into the program because they think more is cool, rip that shit back out, and turn avast BACK INTO AN ANTI-VIRUS program.

REMEMBER;

A console TV Stereo, one part breaks the whole thing goes to the shop.

Component systems, one think breaks, it's the only part to go to the shop.

Software Security, one bundled package, ONE BREACH the whole system is compromised, major issue to circumvent.

3 or 4 separate and different types of security, one breach only ONE PROBLEM, one easy patch job.

Look how long, how deep, how wide this issue has become. Avast will go bankrupt if they don't take a few steps back, remove all the extra crap, make it a basic AV program once again, such as what took them to the top in the first place.

P.S. The past year has been a big hassle with the updates for Avast, hanging system until the update completes, and if you try to open something it hangs LONGERRRRRRRRR............

That SUCKSSSSSSSS! The dam update process is too dam aggressive!!!!!!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

To hell with your dam captcha shit, it looks as if your trying to block anyone from posting, or piss them off so they won't post becase they can get one they can read FUCK IT!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Bad language will make sure you don't post.... :o
The captcha is there for the first 3 posts as an anti spam measure.
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
As already mentioned if the double announcement bothers you, turn it off as explained in:
avast! Quiet protection

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Spectacle

The language may be offensive but some very valid points are made. It should be a strong heads up when customers are that frustrated with a program to angrily use such expletives that just maybe something is seriously wrong!??

In my own case I simply want a simple to use security system that I can depend on and that is totally effective - THAT'S IT! That's what Avast advertises itself as.

I just went through all kinds of hassles with another program, trying to get it to work, or trying in vain to get good technical support after I paid good money for it: TOTAL FAILURE! That failure included getting whacked with a virus.

Now I have continual, daily problems with Avast and the only suggestions I got are that it's because of Spybot, so I removed that. Problems came back next update and continue every single day, all day. Now I'm told I need to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of Avast, again implying it's something on my end, can't possibly be a total screwup by Avast!.

Can anybody at Avast imagine that I'm not real happy with this b/s? If I used the language of my true feelings I'd be banned from here! NOT HAPPY! Many, many other folks are NOT HAPPY with the current product. It's gone on for over a month now, same garbage, different day, no change.

Either a program works, or it doesn't. Either a program is compatible, or it isn't. In my case the program DOESN'T WORK and ISN'T COMPATIBLE! What part of that is good? What part of that makes me feel confident that the rest of the guts of Avast is actually working right, protecting me? Or have I just been fortunate to not be attacked by a drive by virus???