Poll

Please say whether or not Firefox Lags or Freezes when Avast is in use.

Avast  seems ok with Firefox, I have not noticed problems.
16 (55.2%)
Avast works well with Firefox, and does not improbve markedly if Avast is disabled/unistalled
6 (20.7%)
Firefox freezes or lags, but I have not compared this with Avast uninstalled
1 (3.4%)
Firefox lags or freezes, and improves a lot when Avast is uninstalled
4 (13.8%)
I think I have discovered a problem and include details (with or without a solution)
0 (0%)
Ohther comment
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 27, 2012, 11:32:08 PM

Author Topic: Firefox users, can you help please, does avast work ok without Firefox lagging  (Read 16758 times)

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
avast! Free Antivirus 7.0.1426
Online Armor Free 5.5.0.1616
Mozilla Firefox 13.0.1
Shockwave Flash Plugin 11.3.300.265

Build .1451 was a complete disaster, both IE and Fx freezed, so I was glad that .1456 came out so soon... but that turned out to be a disaster as well and avast! staff seems to choose to ignore this problem. When I first installed .1456 surfing appeared to be ok, but Fx freezed when trying to open websites with Flash content. I uninstalled avast! using aswclear.exe and reinstalled (about 20 times or so), but it didn't work.

A poster suggested to me to uninstall and reinstall OA Free as well. Uninstalling avast! and OA and then reinstalling avast! (not OA) seemed to solve the problem. Fx functioned ok. But then problems started again when I installed OA (I set up exclusions rules in both avast! and OA to ignore each other).

Shutting down avast!'s Behavior Shield also solves the problem. Of course, uninstalling avast! completely solves the problem too.

I've been using avast! for many years, I've installed it elsewhere and advised users to install it. I never had any problems (except for that one time when there was a case of false positives). I've downgraded to .1426 which is working fine, but if this problem isn't solved, then I'll probably have to dump avast! and switch to Avira. And one other thing, users on this forum (and avast! staff as well) seem to ignore that people are having problems. I too have encountered systems that are working fine with the latest avast!, but it's also clear that several people are having problems.
--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276

John99

I believe Firefox is scheduled for an upgrade on the 17th of July so listing the version will be important.
As of right now the current version of avast is 7.0.1456 and the current version of Firefox is 13.0.1.

There were issues with Firefox, Adobe flash player 11.3 and Realplayer. Crashes while going full screen and
crashes while closing Firefox. Has this been ruled out?

I would also question which add-ons are installed in Firefox. Have all add-ons been disabled to see if it may be an add-on causing this?
Enable one at a time to see if the problem persists.

Conflicting security software?

Please ask this person if he updated over the top or if it was a clean install of avast. Most recent version of avast?

I don't notice any problems with Firefox and Avast.

edit: I just read this person's post. It seems he has many more problems than just Firefox freezing. Also, he is using Firefox 11. I don't think I would waste the energy trying to track this down if this person is going to use outdated software. How many other people have had this complaint with avast and Firefox lagging on the Mozilla forum? Advanced System Care should not be installed along with avast. Spybot with teatimer should not be used with avast. Overkill and too many conflicting security solutions. Keep avast free and malwarebytes pro and scrap the rest.

I agree the poster with the problem has an odd setup that seems likely to be susceptible to all sorts of problems.
I am just trying to debunk the suggestion from that thread that the problem is due to use of Avast.

Flash 11.3 issues
The FlashPlayer 11.3 and any related RealPlayer problems are separate issues, although if a Firefox user is unwilling to troubleshoot it is in some circumstances almost impossible to say what the causes of problems are. In some instances we are currently recommending Flash 11.3 Firefox Windows users should downgrade to Flash 11.2  or    10.3

Note there was a new Flash release on about 11th July ,  although I am not yet sure what if anything that solves.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Note there was a new Flash release on about 11th July ,  although I am not yet sure what if anything that solves.

What's supposedly fixed is at the beginning of that Adobe thread.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1024504?start=0&tstart=0  However, in reading the thread it seems Adobe missed the mark again.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
No problems here, with Firefox and avast (free) fully up to date.

Admittedly, if there seems to be a correlation between Flash-using sites and Fx crashes, that could explain my "luck".  I keep the Flash plug-in disabled except on the rare occasions when I need it to watch a video, or when updating Flash (update won't "take" if the plug-in's disabled).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Adobe Flash Protected Mode is not enabled when installed on WinXP, and that alone will prevent a lot of the Flash/Firefox issues.  I've never had a crash when using Flash, and it is enabled all the time.  However, I use NoScript in Firefox, so Flash won't be invoked unless the site is whitelisted in NoScript.  I currently have Adobe Flash 11.3.300.265 installed, and have had no problems with it and Firefox.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Voted: Avast  seems ok with Firefox, I have not noticed problems.

Type of device (netbook, multicore desktop etc): Both a HP Pavilion G series Laptop and HP Presario SR1710NX desktop
Type and version of Avast: Version 7.0.1456
Operating system and version: Windows 7 and Windows XP service pack 3
Firefox version (e.g fx13 or fx14 or ESR): Version 13.0.1

Caveat: The only issue I have is Dial-up related that has to with an occasional series of 17 Dial-up connection prompts that will cause freeze up problems if the connection is used (must be cancelled) of which I really doubt is related to the issue discussed here in as much as only a handful of people are likely using Dial-up in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:11:35 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

vsub

Works fine here but my FF is little different
1.It always work at low priority
2.I don't use the newest flash player
3.Don't save cache to the hdd
4.Don't use the WebRep plugin.

PC
Avast Home 1456
Windows XP
FF 13.0 with more than 50 add-ons installed and a lot of other modifications but it still load everything fast

John99

As Flash 11.3 issues are now being mentioned maybe it is ok to comment on that. So some more Firefox related information

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
No problems here. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

John99

Thanks for all the replies.

I conclude Firefox should work ok with Avast.

Obviously with all software some users will have problems, and inevitably some will be using Avast and Firefox whilst seeing problems, but it appears there are many experienced users who are able to use both together without any problems.

I will go back to the original Firefox forum thread and mention that in my opinion the problem  is NOT due to use of Avast, and I will point to this thread as information or anyone who considers Avast is a problem with Firefox.

vsub

1.Did you tried starting FF in Safe Mode - this to check if some add-on is doing this
2.Did you tried running FF in Private Browsing Mode - if the FF history or session store is corrupted
3.Check in avast file shield settings in the exclude settings if *\firefox\profiles\*sessionstore*.js exist and only write is checked

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
Adding

ProtectedMode=0

to mms.cfg should not be necessary, because mozillaZine states (stated?) 11.3.300.262 disables Protected Mode by default. I'm assuming .265 does the same.
--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276