Author Topic: Avast7 and comodo firewall.  (Read 13080 times)

Arnold72

Avast7 and comodo firewall.
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Hi,
Lets see if im going to get any joy on this subject?
Has there been any developement on the web shield and comodo firewall saga please.?
Its a valid question and deserves to be answered.
I have asked on the comodo forum and they just lock the topic.
People deserve to know if they are secure or not.
Can somebody give a re-assurance that their systems will not be compromised by using the avast and comodo combination or will it get shoved under the carpet or topic locked.?
Regards. >:(

true indian

Re: Avast7 and comodo firewall.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
using this combo for past 2 years yet no malware ;)

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »
I never experienced conflicts between comodo firewall and avast's webshield.
Webshield does not work like a firewall so it is impossible for it to have conflicts with comodo firewall or any other firewall.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
It isn't that the web shield doesn't work with comodo, but that currently comodo can't differentialt between the web shield proxy and programs being redirected through the proxy.

So if you have a set a block on a particular program from accessing the internet, if it is connecting to the internet using the http protocol over an http port, then that traffic would be routed through the web shield proxy so it can scan the content. Because comodo can't differentiate between the two and you have the web shield proxy (avastSvc.exe) allowed, the blocked program can connect.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:18:12 PM »
@RZPogi

The behavior explained by DavidR in the above post is not seen in XP or Vista. Only for Windows7.

The Comodo upgrade version 6 has been delayed and I bet it is for this issue between Comodo and Avast!.

Let's hope it is fixed by then.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
Hi,
Has there been any developement on the web shield and comodo firewall saga please.?
Can somebody give a re-assurance that their systems will not be compromised by using the avast and comodo combination or will it get shoved under the carpet or topic locked.?
Whats the matter with your Online Armor Firewall ? imo it's a better firewall and a better forum than comodo anyway.

Arnold72

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
Hi,
Whats the matter with your Online Armor Firewall ? imo it's a better firewall and a better forum than comodo anyway.

Nothing wrong with online armor at all.i agree with you 100% its a better firewall.Im just curious as to why it is happening with the comodo firewall.
Is there a likelihood my OA firewall is being breached without my knowledge.?
Many Thanks. 8)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
I think the problem was only with comodo and the windows firewall, your OA is fine otherwise we would have heard complaints from all the OA users plus SafeSurf is an OA beta tester and she has not mentioned any issue on there part.

Your safe  :)

HDW38

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Hi!

Now I'm using Comodo-Firewall Free version without Dragon, Defence+ and GeekBody about a year on 8 PCs. Only at the beginning were some small trouble, later nothing at all.
The Comodo-FW version i use is '5.10.228257.2253'! That's the latest and newest!
Everything is working fine with 'avast! Free Antivirus 7.0.1456'.

Greetings.
HDW38

Mayflower

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »
So, I´m secure, right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
So, I´m secure, right?

Since you give no information (OS) or what you mean by secure, e.g. the web shield still scans the http traffic, but dependant on OS (win7) and if you have any programs blocked accessing the internet, then they may still be able to do so (through the web shield proxy). Even if you have a comodo firewall rule to block it as comodo isn't using the latest windows redirection filter do dad (don't know what it is called).

I don't think anyone can give you a detailed answer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:29:30 AM »
I don't think anyone can give you a detailed answer.

Right, as the sig isn't helpful as well.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Mayflower

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »
Windows 7. Thanks for fast respons!  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »
Windows 7. Thanks for fast respons!  :)

See Dave's reply #3 then.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
You are secure in regard to the web shield will still be scanning the http traffic. But with win7 avast is using the latest windows redirection driver, but comodo isn't.

So in win7 comodo can't determine what program is going through the web shield proxy, all it sees is the proxy not what is using it (being redirected), so any blocked program could circumvent the rule. Because you need to allow the avastSvc.exe for the web shield proxy to work, other programs connecting to the internet using the http protocol would pass through (but would still be scanned by the web shield).

This isn't an issue if you haven't got any rules on comodo to block certain programs connecting to the internet.

This is a summary of all of the information already contained in this topic.