Author Topic: AVAST update concerns  (Read 7134 times)

avastuser2012

AVAST update concerns
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
A Big Hello to Everyone.  I am new to the forum, although I have been using AVAST for some time.

I hope this question has not been covered elsewhere. If so I apologize.

I recently updated to AVAST 7.0.1456 but I am not sure if it is working correctly.

Everything seems OK though. It says on the front panel:

Real-Time shields: On

Definitions auto updates: On

Virus definitions version: 120713-0

Program version: 7.0.1456

Expiration date: 10/07/2013

All sounds and popups are activated.

Now in previous versions whenever I run my PC up (I'm on ADSL) soon after "the lady" announces that my virus database has been updated. Also I tend to get an update whilst I am online (240 mins setting). Now that has not happened since I installed AVAST 7 although it seems to be up to date. I am a little concerned that I am not being updated regularly though.

Can anyone advise me please? Do we still get update announcements in fact?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Greg.   

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: AVAST update concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
Virus definitions version: 120713-0
latest is 120714-0     http://www.avast.com/en-no/virus-update-history

try running avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

did that change anything ?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:58:51 PM by Pondus »

avastuser2012

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:26:07 AM »
Hi Pondus,

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested but it has made no difference  :-[

The AVAST icon revolves in sys tray as though it is about to update but it doesn't.

Cheers Greg

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »
Do you or did you in the past have a previous antivirus (AV) on this machine or another security software (firewall, trial version, other security software)?  If so how did you remove it?  Vendor's uninstaller tool or another way?

If you did not have another AV or security program on your machine, then proceed to the next step below....

If you updated to the current version and tried a repair unsuccessfully, then I think an uninstall/clean install is the next step:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD (if not already done):
Version 7.0.1456:         
Avast Free AV:                http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
Avast Pro AV :                 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
Avast Internet Security:   http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD or desktop. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS online.
9. Update the Avast definitions.

avastuser2012

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Hi SafeSurf,

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

Now I had hoped when I posted my first message that the problem might be resolved without having to explain the following but as not then here goes.

I had an earlier free version of AVAST ( 5.0.667.0) installed prior to AVAST 7 (7.0.1456 and which is also the free version ). I had selected the various automatic updates to the program and engine as they occurred without any problems and so I am not sure what the final versions were but 5.0.667.0 was the last version I installed from a downloaded set-up file prior to AVAST 7.

I had run earlier versions of AVAST too which I had always ran from a set up file and overriding any earlier versions  without trouble.

I seemed to have a problem updating to AVAST 7 when it was announced on the AVAST interface I was then running. So I downloaded the set-up file and ran this without uninstalling the old version first. At this stage I was not aware a clean install may be necessary having done this sort of thing frequently with lots of different software and never running into trouble.

Anyway that said I installed AVAST 7 without problems and it was updating OK as with the old version.

Shortly after, I decided it was time to update my firewall too. I use Zone Alarm free firewall and the version I had prior to the AVAST problems was 10.1.101.0.

I decided to upgrade to free version 10.2.64.0 and this is when the problems started. I noticed that this version also included a free antivirus program which is the first time to my knowledge that Zone Alarm have done this. The antivirus had to be downloaded and installed as a separate part to the firewall set-up.

I knew that if I did that I would get a conflict so I avoided it like the plague but after running the two programs (ie Zone Alarm and AVAST 7) quite successfully for a while, I made the mistake of clicking the antivirus button on the Zone Alarm interface. I could not stop it from downloading so I did a forced reboot but it carried on downloading after the PC had rebooted anyway and once complete the problems started: AVAST 7 seemed frozen and would not update.

The Zone Alarm program said I needed to remove a conflicting program (ie AVAST 7) which I didn't want to do being very happy with AVAST.

I tried running the AVAST 7 set-up again but it would not run to over write the first install. The set-up icon kept revolving.

I went back to the earlier version of Zone Alarm but the AVAST 7 problem remained.

I did some searching and found the uninstall facility and removed AVAST 7 in SAFE MODE and re-installed AVAST 7 from the setup file. Everything seemed perfect apart from the lack of updating.

Zone Alarm is working fine.

So that is where we are currently. I tried Pondus's suggestion to repair AVAST 7 and rebooted but the problem remains. I am stuck on virus definitions version 120713-0.

I hope this explains it all.

Should I do as you say and repeat the process of a clean install?

Many thanks for your help.

Greg.   

PS I did have  a version of Norton in the distant past but I uninstalled that with the Vendors facility.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
ok....new try.  ;)

delete all avast rules in zone alarm reboot, and create new rules when firewall ask

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
delete all avast rules in zone alarm reboot, and create new rules when firewall ask
Try this first and reboot.  If this doesn't work, then do the Avast uninstall and clean install like I posted above.  Let us know how this works.

avastuser2012

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
Hi Pondus and Safesurf,

Sorry for the delay in getting back as I spent last evening working on the issue.

Many many thanks for your help, problem is now solved.

I tried the Zone Alarm suggestion and it made no difference.

I then decided on the AVAST clean install as suggested but it did not work either.

Racking my brains I remembered that originally Zone Alarm had been installed before I discovered AVAST in the past. I could not see that this would make any difference but I decided to give it a try.

I removed AVAST with the remove facility in SAFE MODE and then rebooted to Windows. To be doubly sure I then manually deleted all registry keys related to AVAST. Not sure if this would matter though.

I then removed Zone Alarm with Windows add/remove as no vendor uninstall facility available and did the same with the registry.

Something else I decided to do was remove other items I have on my PC (for the time being at any rate) which I thought could be causing trouble ie Spybot, Trojan Hunter and Malwarebytes. Of the three Spybot sometimes seems to give trouble installing programs. I used to have it in the past and put it back on when I though I had a spyware problem.

I then installed Zone Alarm first and rebooted then I installed  AVAST 7 and rebooted and Bingo I had the message to say that the virus definitions had been updated to 120715-0.  :)

I decided not to get too excited at this stage until I had more proof but shortly after running up this morning I heard that very welcome update message and  AVAST has updated to 120716-0.  :) :)   

Your help has been most valuable guys and many thanks again.  :) :) :) I was getting most worried thinking I had no proper protection against viruses.

Any feedback on what I did above would be most welcome and I guess could help others with similar issues.

Kind regards,

Greg.

mgurski

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »
Hello!  I was having this same problem.  I went to the Windows control panel, followed the steps recommended and now everyuthing is working properly!  Thanks for the help.  I had posted yesterday and received the same recommendation.  BUT, they didn't tell me where to find it and I spent ALL afternoon trying to find it.  This morning it took all of 5 minutes.  Thanks!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
Zone Alarm removal tool here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/other-software/   Number 54 in the list

avastuser2012

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
Great. I am glad you got it sorted out too.

The guys on here do a fantastic job giving up their time to help others.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »
The guys on here do a fantastic job giving up their time to help others.
Thanks. It's a hard work but a happy and grateful one.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
@ avastuser2012,

I'm glad everything is working fine now.  If you put SB&D back on your machine, which I do not recommend (esp. if it has Teatimer), this is a known issue to cause conflicts with Avast in the past...the TT part.  Malwarebytes (MBAM) is a much better program and will not cause conflicts.

Anyway, I'm happy things are finally working for you.  Feel free to come back if you have any other issues, explore the forum to learn more, or just to chat.  We are here 24/7.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :D