Author Topic: How do I remove all the Google sh** from my registry?  (Read 18304 times)

J.Stalin

Re: How do I remove all the Google sh** from my registry?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:31 PM »
Perhaps Avast could include Chrome in the next release of Aswclear  ::)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
If you dont use anything on your system that is google

Nope, not a single piece of Google software on my system.

then you can safely run a search in registry for google and delet.

So just go through the registry and delete all of the 200-300 Google entries? That's not going to cause any problems?

What I mean is, I know that there are no programs that depend on those entries, but considering the way everything in Windows is intertwined with pretty much everything else, I want to make sure that deleting them isn't going to cause Windows to complain that it's missing some settings...
There is only one google entry in the whole of my registry and that is the no google toolbar offer in Piriform CCleaner :)
Running CCleaner first off as Pondus and Asyn mentioned will help to lesson down those instances then finish with a manual search.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:16:52 AM by craigb »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 04:19:09 PM »
There is no added software if the Slim version of CCleaner (at the bottom of the Builds list) is downloaded.  If not Slim version, be aware of the additional install and be sure to uncheck it.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

2nd base

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »
I admit it, I screwed up. When I installed Avast, (actually when I re-installed it, due to a mistake on my part), I neglected to uncheck the stupid Google malware options. My firewall blocked the installer from actually downloading that Chrome crap, but it still managed to install Google Update, which I just discovered has been running ever since.

I killed the process, disabled the services and deleted the Google directory.

Then I checked my registry, only to find it infected with dozens of Google entries.

Since Avast bundled that crap with their program, it should be Avast's responsibility to fix this.

So, Avast, where do I find the removable tool that will safely remove all the Google sh** from my system's registry?

You may find this upcoming discussion useful. Katherine Albrecht is a consumer privacy expert and VP of startpage.com, the world's most private search engine. She'll discuss the latest technologies being used to track not only products but humans, and their movement and activity. http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2012/07/18

Another excellent source relative to such spew is here. http://lauren.vortex.com/

Google isn't entirely as bad as they are often made out to be but lets face it. How often are the really, really relevant factors regarding such issues really discussed. It's always the usuall dumb me down and just accept it speak. At least it seems that way.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:49:52 AM by 2nd base »