Author Topic: AVAST!-Behavour-Shield-Information-Window is a bad joke and a big shame!!!  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Anacunga

Sorry, but the way AVAST! is presenting occurring problems to the user is really bad and unacceptable!!!

Situation: having installed Lunascape.

Problem: always when starting up the PC (each time!!!), behaviour shield is presenting a "Behaviour Shield Question" window (that has mandatorily moved to the edges for dealing the problem as it is forcing to be in the foreground) with following unusable set of information:

---
Program: D:\Program Files\Lunascape\Lunascape6\LunaCore.dll
Resource: Network setting
ACTIONS TO TAKE
* Allow
* Allow and add to the trusted programs
* Deny
* Deny and terminate the program
* Deny and move to chest
Target Object: \REGISTRY\USER\...\
Request routed via: D:\Program Files\Lunascape\Lunascape6\LunaCore.dll

What the hell is that Target Object???
What resouce should be changed there???
Why the hell is it only visibly by mouse-over and not in full text???

You then can see for some seconds (then you have to move the mouse and retry to get it displayed again) what is behind the target object:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-343818398-113007714-1957994488-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

But why the hell is there not visible what (what resource etc.) is wanting to be changed???
Why the hell is there not visible what value is wanting to be changed into what value???
And why the hell is the whole information of the problem not copyable to the clipboard???

And the main problem: why the hell is there no takable action of:
- Allow the program to change only this resource but keep it among the untrusted programs?

Sorry, but Behaviour Shield in that form is really not only a bad joke, but a real shame!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:01:44 AM by Anacunga »

true indian

Hi Welcome to the forums! :)

did u change the behaviour shield settings to ask??

please move it back to auto-decide [the default] instead of getting annoyed by questions

see screenshot..

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I'll also add that in your next post you should watch your language otherwise your posts will be swiftly removed and a ban could be enforced.

true indian

I'll also add that in your next post you should watch your language otherwise your posts will be swiftly removed and a ban could be enforced.

Dont be harsh on him craigb  ;)..he is troubled  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:51:50 PM by true indian »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks

Dont be harsh on him craigb  ;)...its his first post here and he is troubled  ;)
No excuse for bad language on a public forum im affraid, and it's not his first post ( 96 of them )

SafeSurf

No excuse for bad language on a public forum im affraid, and it's not his first post ( 96 of them )
Children also read this forum, so craigb is correct.

Kakadu

did u change the behaviour shield settings to ask??

please move it back to auto-decide [the default] instead of getting annoyed by questions
Why should the TE's question be annoying? He will have his reasons to set it to manual (for fully controlling it and have the possibility to decide himself what he wants to allow and what not).

And what is concerning the TE's rude-speak: sure it is not nice and misplaced here, but did the admins summon the TE to correct his rude-speak and delete the incriminating words? If no: why not? If - as SafeSurf says - also children (or other sensible people) read here, that kind of rude-speak should be put away ASAP. And why does not any admin just delete the words that make his post to rude-speak?

I wonder about the behaviour in this forum treating users with problems ...

Coming back to topic: the TE's problem can be reproduced just by installing Lunascape in it's latest version. And the proposition to set to auto-decide is no valuable answer if
a) there is a possibility to set to manual, and
b) manual setting does not offer the same variety of decicions to take.

It is fully comprehensible what the TE posts, and both problems remain:
- why is the info in the window not as complete to see in detail what that resource change should be? and
- why is there no possibilty to set: "allow this (but only this specific) behaviour and report any other from that program"?

As a whole I have to confess: if the way problems are treated here in the forum like this one is the normal case that problems are treated by avast (the company), I'll have to look for a friendlier AV-solution ...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:01:00 PM by Kakadu »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Dont be harsh on him craigb  ;)...its his first post here and he is troubled  ;)
first post....... so he got 96 posts today  ::)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
I wonder about the behaviour in this forum treating users with problems ...
You usually get what you ask for.
If you have a problem and are looking for an answer, there are many of us here willing and able to help.

If you come here with an attitude, the inability to express yourself with out reverting to four letter words,
then the help you seek may not be forthcoming.
Changing default settings of any program without knowing the results is never a good idea.
Changing those settings and than blaming the manufacturer for those results doesn't really make any sense.
This is a help forum where the help comes mostly from Users.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks

As a whole I have to confess: if the way problems are treated here in the forum like this one is the normal case that problems are treated by avast (the company), I'll have to look for a friendlier AV-solution ...
The avast forum is a friendly and helpful forum but there is no excuse for placing a post in that manner with that attitude, due to  Anacunga's actions he''ll have time to ponder over his actions with a temporary 4 day ban being placed on him by igor, as for the language i'll report it again and see if it can be edited.

Kakadu

Changing default settings of any program without knowing the results is never a good idea.
Auto-decide is always paternalistic and does not allow that the user gets to know what's happening. That's NOT a good solution - NEVER!
Changing those settings and than blaming the manufacturer for those results doesn't really make any sense.
Is this the way avast-users are treated? Just pretend them to be stupid, or what?
This is a help forum where the help comes mostly from Users.
so please answer the question of the TE and do not treat him as a stupid if the only thing is using your tool in a way the tool allows by adapting the options as the user needs.

This is a public forum where problems are discussed, and these discussions are for all avast users, not only for the TE! I know about that same problem, and I am also interested in a solution to it. But the solution can neither be turning behaviour-shield to auto-decide nor to off - otherwise avast would neither offer a behaviour-shield itself, nor would avast allow the setting to manual.

If that's the way problems are treated at avast, I'll no longer can recommend or use it and switch to AVG or any other AV-solution.

Please keep on topic and answer the questions of the TE - they are also useful for other users!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
The OP's question was answered in the first post by true indian, if you dont know what the effects are going to be by changing avasts default settings then you shouldn't change them.

Setting the behaviour shield to ask is way to annoying and intrusive which is why it's on auto :)

Kakadu

The OP's question was answered in the first post by true indian, if you dont know what the effects are going to be by changing avasts default settings then you shouldn't change them.
If you don't know how "auto-decide" is deciding and treating the cases, you'll HAVE to turn that off to be on the safe side.

Tell us all how auto-decide is deciding! If that's not clarified how that is doing, there is NO reason to let anything "auto-decide"!

Setting the behaviour shield to ask is way to annoying and intrusive which is why it's on auto :)
Sorry, but that should not be a (very, very bad) joke, or what?

Kakadu

Sorry, but that should not be a (very, very bad) joke, or what?

What the joke is that you think you can circumnavigate your ban by changing your name and email address Anacunga aka ( Kakadu )
So that's how users are treated from the side of avast? Imputating me to be such a rude-speaker like the TE?

I've never been treated in such a way in any forum than here - and btw. can understand for A.'s rude-speak if it was not the first time he found a problem and the answer users obviously are treated here.

Btw.: pretending that this would be a "help-forum" is not true in this case, it's turning more into a "user-mobbing-forum"; why are you not only allowing that, but pouring oil into the fire? Is this AVAST?

So is anyone willing to deal the problem the TE described? Or is it time ban AVAST! from the list of recommendable software as no support is expectable if that behavoiur is normal here and stands for the way avast deals with problems and users.

I'm shocked what's going on here!

Nesivos

Changing the Behavior Shield settings appear to affect only that one program on his/her computer in a manner that causes the BS message to appear on every start-up.   It is not a system wide problem otherwise other programs

It seems the problem here is that the program in question and maybe only that one, generates this error message when the BS is changed from "Auto Decide"   So the solution presented here suggests if the OP or anyone else is using avast! with that program, and maybe only that program, they must leave the BS on auto-decide rendering the other two BS options useless system wide when a person uses that program.   

I would think that there is a better solution to allow the OP or anyone else who would like to use that program with avast! to stop the repetitive error message from popping up on start-up than the one proposed.

1. Maybe it could be suggested that the OP add that program to the list of Trusted Processes in the BS
2. Maybe it could be suggested that the OP run the program in the sandbox

I am sure there are other possible suggestions in addition to the one given to the OP and other than the two I mentioned above.