Author Topic: Adblocker for IE9  (Read 8845 times)

Andyonline

Adblocker for IE9
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Hi, I have been looking at adblocking for IE 9 and wondered if anyone is using simple adblock or if there are better options that run better/smoother

Thanks

Andy

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Adblocker for IE9
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
There are tracking lists that can be added via manage addons, they block 90% of  the ad's for me and a few others i block by adding *.googlesyndication.*   *.yieldmanager.*   *.doubleclick.* to the site blocking list in avast.

Andyonline

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:02:12 PM »
Thanks Craigb, what's the best tracking list(s) to add

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
Thanks Craigb, what's the best tracking list(s) to add
Iv just got the ones in the pic below

Dont use the fanboy lists if you have malwarebytes pro or you'll get constant blocking alerts.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:10:29 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
I don't get any blocking alerts from MBAM on the fanboy list, because I long ago considered the MBAM 'Malicious website blocking' function to be more hassle than it is worth.

The reason for that decision is that it doesn't do what it says on the tin, the IPs that are blocked aren't necessarily malicious as MBAM blocks more than just malicious sites.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Andyonline

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Well, this is all new to me but  Ive added both of the Fanboy ones. Not sure of the difference but presumably one is tracking protection and one is adblocking

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:48:54 PM »
I don't get any blocking alerts from MBAM on the fanboy list, because I long ago considered the MBAM 'Malicious website blocking' function to be more hassle than it is worth.

The reason for that decision is that it doesn't do what it says on the tin, the IPs that are blocked aren't necessarily malicious as MBAM blocks more than just malicious sites.
I cant find the topic at MBAM forums at the moment but the fanboy lists were being hosted via certain servers that were also known to deliver malware and spam which was causing the alerts.

I would never turn off the ip blocking feature of malwarebytes as it does work and has saved me numerus times ( and i paid for the feature so im going to use it ;) ), if you get a block on a legitimate site ( which i never have ) you can add it to the ignore list and report it to malwarebytes to confirm whether the block was right or wrong

Andyonline

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
This is getting a bit beyond me. I have the paid version of MBAM so do I need these tracking lists as well as MBAM ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »
This is getting a bit beyond me. I have the paid version of MBAM so do I need these tracking lists as well as MBAM ?
Well they do different things, Malwarebytes doesn't stop tracking or block ad's.

Andyonline

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Thats what I thought.

Would Adfender be any good ?

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »

I can feel your frustration.  Been there and felt it.

I have a solution but I won't post it because no one here will like it and they may right, then again...

Andyonline

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »

I have a solution but I won't post it because no one here will like it and they may right, then again...

You've dangled the carrott now, you must reveal !

Nesivos

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »

I will send you a private message.  You probably will also not like my solution but I will send you the message nonetheless.

Andyonline

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »

I will send you a private message.  You probably will also not like my solution but I will send you the message nonetheless.
OK some interesting info on its way then !

Andyonline

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 05:42:22 PM »
Nesivos, nothing wrong with what you said, thats just your preference. Some will disagree, some will agree !