Author Topic: Does Avast! possibly slow down web-surfing?  (Read 10436 times)

DharmaDear

Does Avast! possibly slow down web-surfing?
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:16:29 PM »
Hello Forum-

I have a free version of Avast! (version 7.0.1451, just update today), and am wondering, based on the default settings in it, if perhaps it is slowing down my web-surfing on IE8.  I see that little organge ball just a twirling and a twirling, when I enter a web address that I want to go to.  It's so slow sometimes, I could take a nap waiting for the page to load, as well as scrolling down the page, and going from page to page on a website, once it's loaded.  I understand that there can be other causes of slow Internet surfing, but am starting here, in case it is THE cause, or a partial possible cause.  And yes, I clean my web Hx, cookies, visited sites, etc., regularly. I also just ran CCleaner, in case that would help.
If someone thinks some settings in Avast! may be the cause, I would like to know if you know what settings I can change, while still keeping my computer secure, that might speed up Internet surfing.

Your advice/help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Dharma

true indian

Re: Does Avast! possibly slow down web-surfing?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
IE is anyways slow...I recommend chrome  :)

No fault on avast really..

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
Try http://filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/
Or http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/12584/

Quite a number use Firefox or Chrome. Firefox is more configurable and safer (IMHO).
Both have a lot of add-ons/extensions.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

DharmaDear

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply Para-Noid!  See my last post to Indian.  I asked q's about Chrome's virtues, or not!  I tried Firefox and didn't like it.  I'm a girl, so I like all my gadgets and esp. my pretty beach scene at the top of my Homepage on i Google!  :O  D  Oh wait, I could use Firefox with an iGoogle Homepage couldn't I?

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
Hi DharmaDear,

It is your opinion on which browser you choose. I prefer Firefox due to its customizing and add-ons; but it may be easier to keep IE8.

Does Avast! possibly slow down web-surfing?
No, avast! should not slow down web surfing drastically.

Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

DharmaDear

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Thanks guys!!!!!

Arnold72

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »
yes avast will slow down surfing slightly because it uses a web shield and web shields naturally slow things down as they scan the traffic. 8)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
I see no noticeable difference in browsing, with or without the web shield enabled,

I don't browse with a stopwatch running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
oddly and to be fair ive actually noticed my browsing is faster with the web shield enabled.again ive personally never noticed any form of slowdown with avast. 8)

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:06:36 AM »
Are you on Windows XP? If you're not, and using Vista or Windows 7, you should get IE9. It's much faster than 8 and more secure. Unfortunately, you can't have it in XP.

Offline c0mpute

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
Just remember that for those of you who recommend chrome as a browser.. that is is made by Google and your privacy is not exactly private and everyone knows that everyone else wants to know every little thing you do and say on the internet.. ( Alas my friends i refer back to a youtube video from Supernews called the google toilet..) .. lmao...

Offline c0mpute

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:33:16 AM »
Try http://filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/
Or http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/12584/

Quite a number use Firefox or Chrome. Firefox is more configurable and safer (IMHO).
Both have a lot of add-ons/extensions.  :)

I find as good as Firefox is.. it cant handle add-ons and plug-ins as good as the creators have boasted .. I find there is always some sort of problem either with Flash loading or some other kind of movie.. or even with addons just below the address bar..
Personaly.. from my own experiances with browsers would be this
1) IE 7 or 8 even with the instabilities and crashes you get from it. (Re: when multible tabs/web pages are open in the one browser)
2) Firefox.. Its more stable and does have a lot of advantages over IE, Though still has those problems with addons ect...
3) Google Chrome is something i would never touch.. not even take it into consideration with the privacy policies of google inc itself .. plus other factors that if you cant trust your information to be private.. ranging from your contacts on an andriod smart phone to every website you visit and log into either pc or phone.. You volentary give your info for free just for them to sell it?... No thanks

DharmaDear

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
I specifically hunted down an option in Google, that allowed me to "opt out" of them using some my info (i.e., selling it to 3rd parties, etc), as much as Google would let me opt out of, to reduce the loss of my privacy to, I'm sure,  a small degree.  But frankly, I'm getting tired of Google, because EVERY SINGLE TIME I get on the Net now, I have to log in to see my Homepage, and even then, it's jacked up with pop-ups warning me that iGoogle will be no more in November.
I didn't like Firefox, but it's been a long time, so don't remember why I didn't like it.  I think maybe it was too simplistic for me- not enough gadgets/preferences, etc.
I don't get crashes on IE8 too often, thankfully, even with multiple tabs open.
Do you know anything about Opera or Safari? And pardon my confusion, but sometimes I don't know whether what I'm referring to a browser when I whine about my troubles, or just a Homepage I use...I know IE is a browser, but not Google right?  And I believe that Opera and Safari are browsers, yes?  :o  )

Thanks fer yer inpute on matters!
Dharma

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
While my preferred browser has always been IE, every version since 4, I would take Chrome over Firefox any day. I hate the download interface, the favorites management, and cookie handling of Firefox. IE excels in all three areas for me and I don't like the bookmark bar in Chrome at all. I have always thought that the fact that you have to have a group of addons to make FF as secure as IE or Chrome are out of the box to be a joke. I have tried every version of FF since it started and none have lasted more than a half hour on my machines.

You shouldn't have to log in every time to a home page if you have saved the cookie for it. I use CCleaner for my cookie deletion and management and I choose the ones I want to keep which are login cookies to homepages and forums like this one.

I use Chrome primarily on XP because it's faster than IE8 but I really don't like doing it. IE9 is the best browser out there in my opinion and I'm waiting to see how 10 does in Win 7.