Author Topic: Mcaffe hiding out somewhere  (Read 2760 times)

2nd base

Mcaffe hiding out somewhere
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:32:57 AM »
I've got three computers for different users that I've been asked to remove this Mcafee security plus from and I'll have to get on it in the next day or so. Apparently they have updated or installed java on their systems and this av comes bundled with it.

The issue though is that these folks say that they specifically unticked the box to install the software but their ccleaner shows mcafee is installed in some form or the other. Apparently they use the winapp2ini addition.

Since they all three use avast! with windows 7 and are happy with it I'll not meddle with changing their minds on it but am just wondering if anyone else here has had this happen.

Is it maybe something where they just add mcafee to the program data folder or something and it's technically not installed or maybe a stealth install?

They say that their pc's are all running extremely slow all of a sudden though so I'm thinking that maybe they did install it but am perplexed at the fact that they say they specifically unticked the box to install the mess in addition to the fact that there is no Mcaffee listing in the add/remove programs feature of the systems.

I don't use avast! anymore since the merge with google and all of the new add ons that come with it although I used it for many years before all of that marketing stuff became relevant for whatever reason  but for those that do and still want to continue using it, I'd just as well leave it and address their problems in one outing.

2nd base

Re: Mcaffe hiding out somewhere
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 06:36:33 AM »
I gues I could just fudge around and maybe hunt down the stuff but was just curious if anyone else had it happen.

Offline harman123

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
Your not alone on the McAfee, i just had to re-image my fathers system and after that the java update notice pops up so i updated it and unticked everything then while browsing though the programs i noticed McAfee :o
Only found the one file so it wasn't fully installed but still a worry, i'd get rid of java altogether for him but his kindle requires it.

2nd base

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Your not alone on the McAfee, i just had to re-image my fathers system and after that the java update notice pops up so i updated it and unticked everything then while browsing though the programs i noticed McAfee :o
Only found the one file so it wasn't fully installed but still a worry, i'd get rid of java altogether for him but his kindle requires it.

Was just the one file on the three as well. 

Solved. Removed Java entirely on two.