Author Topic: Avast could not scan all files  (Read 2866 times)

clist8

Avast could not scan all files
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
I've had problems logging into my account on windows 7. I got a chkdsk scan, and could only log in via safe mode. I backed up data I needed onto a USB and bought a new HD. Without safe mode I could sometimes log in to my profile then it would crash. Tried again today and I'm logged in fine. I ran a full scan, and it said all files could not be scanned. The one which couldn't was applications/windows. It said it's corrupt. No viruses found though.

Any ideas what's up?

Thanks!

blue_fyre

Re: Avast could not scan all files
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
 If it could not be scanned, maybe it is password protected or archived damaged or something. When it is used, then you can count on avast's on access to scan it. If you want to, you can upload them to Virus Total to scan. If you didn't have any disk errors (S.M.A.R.T didn't show any if you have it) then you really don't need to buy a new HD (bit the SSD are ridiculous fast). Just reinstall Windows.

clist8

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
If it could not be scanned, maybe it is password protected or archived damaged or something. When it is used, then you can count on avast's on access to scan it. If you want to, you can upload them to Virus Total to scan. If you didn't have any disk errors (S.M.A.R.T didn't show any if you have it) then you really don't need to buy a new HD (bit the SSD are ridiculous fast). Just reinstall Windows.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I've never had this problem before when performing full scans, however this happens as I'm having problems with my PC. Can't log in, ckhdsk scan, etc. I finally logged in after about 10 attempts.

I actually lost my Win 7 disk when I bought my PC (2 yrs ago) during a house move and 2 office moves, so I bought a brand new one, and a new hard drive too, setting me back a total of £200. Unopened, so I was hoping there was a way around this without a new HD and Win7.

Thanks again!

blue_fyre

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »
 If you saved the product key from the Windows 7 disk, you can always download the correct version of Windows 7 from Microsoft in .iso form. Then would need something like Daemon Tools Lite or my personal favourite, Imdisk (very very small size). Of course there are other ways *ahem* if you really bought the disk put don't remember the product key.